Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 AM

60 posts, read 94,529 times

Advertisements

Wanted to ask about the weather in Corvallis. I've read the online profile information on several sites, and they said that Corvallis gets about 5-6 inches of snow a year. But I've watched 3 online videos on youtube where residents were reporting receiving 6-8 inches of snow in one night and being snowed in for 5 days. That the roads weren't being plowed; that trash wasn't being picked up; they couldn't move their cars out of the driveways, etc. And this was 2008, 2012 or 2013 and 2014. I'd like to know how much it actually snows there.

Also if it is routine to have thunder and lightning storms that shake the windows and have 50+ lightning strikes, as I read was reported in a storm there this weekend (July 13, 2014). Any information anyone would like to provide about the weather there, I would greatly appreciate. Thank you.

Also, if you think Corvallis is a high allergy place where people seem to be on allergy medications to get by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:29 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
While I can't comment on Corvallis directly, I can comment on weather averages - that is exactly what there are, an average over a long period of time. Which means that some years will have much more snow or rain and some years will have less. That any one year (or set of years) were outside the average just means that the particular storm in question was far outside the average.

We were in Portland this last February, where the average winter snow is just a scant couple inches, and we got almost 2 feet in the week we were there. Rather than look at that one event and say "wow, the averages are wrong," you have to say instead "wow, what a storm!"

Lightning storms are fairly rare in all of Oregon (the most common place for them is in the mountains).

ETA: here is a link to a site with more than 100 years of climate data for Corvallis - click on the various items on the left menu to get specific info on snow, etc

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?or1862

Old 07-15-2014, 07:24 PM

Thank you so much for the link PNW! I will check it out!

Old 07-16-2014, 02:18 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty4 View Post
......... they couldn't move their cars out of the driveways,.....
That would be the epitome of lazy, to not take a snow shovel and move a little snow out from behind the car.

if you live where it snows, you have the choice to shovel or sit where you are until it thaws. A little snow never stops an Oregonian.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
It doesn't snow that much in Corvallis. Those who couldn't get their cars out of the driveway didn't own snow shovels because there's not normally any real need for them. I don't own one myself because it's better to stay off the roads when it snows here -- most Western Oregon drivers don't know how to drive on ice and snow, and many of them think that they're invincible in their little all-wheel drive Subarus. Garbage wasn't been picked up because the garbage trucks didn't have the proper tire accessories to navigate snow and ice. Every few years it gets a few inches of snow and things close things down; that's typical for towns/cities that don't normally get much snow. Most Western Oregon towns slow down significantly any time it snows more than a couple of inches -- business and schools close when it snows. . Naturally it was all put on youtube simply because it's not routine.

I grew up near Corvallis and only saw snow once every couple of years or so, if that. Some lightening and thunder storms, but they aren't the norm.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-16-2014 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 04:22 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
I will say we have had more snow the last couple of years, but that is just what nature does. It's variable.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:47 PM

126 posts, read 153,623 times
No, snow is not a serious concern in Corvallis. Snow has caused some problems off and on in Portland but that is because the freeways iced over.

Thunderstorms are pretty rare. Intense ones are not frequent enough that it should alarm anyone.

The entire Willamette Valley, which includes Portland, Salem, Corvallis, and Eugene, is full of grasses that cause some people serious hay fever (my father suffered badly with it). If you have hay fever issues, that would be something serious to consider unless you have affective medication.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:14 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

I grew up near Corvallis and only saw snow once every couple of years or so, if that. Some lightening and thunder storms, but they aren't the norm.
I also grew up near Corvallis. There's a lot of rain many months of the year, but very little snow. Often, the temperature even when it does snow is right about where the rain simply washes away the snow.

I actually found freezing rain to be far more common than real, stick-to-the-ground snow (and far more dangerous).

Old 07-18-2014, 12:30 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I also grew up near Corvallis. There's a lot of rain many months of the year, but very little snow. Often, the temperature even when it does snow is right about where the rain simply washes away the snow.

I actually found freezing rain to be far more common than real, stick-to-the-ground snow (and far more dangerous).

It's been awhile since you were here. Snow has been more frequent and more of it, and it seems to stay longer.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:46 PM

Do you think the increase in snow frequency and length is part of the overall weather shift of the country? Do you see other patterns of weather change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon