U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2007, 09:27 AM

1,831 posts, read 1,960,170 times
Default Touring Central and Eastern Oregon

I was born and raised in Oregon, just this last summer my wife and I took a trip around Central and Eastern Oregon. My wife is from AZ this was her first chance to see the other Oregon. I was amazed at Bend, my god has it grown, I was born there and it was just a sleepy cow town of 10,000 now it 75,000 and still has that small town atmosphere.
There are many small towns in the other Oregon, the forgotten side or the state, the town of John Day, its a beautiful town tucked along the John Day river, the town of Prairie City sits on hwy 26, serves one of the best sandwiches I've had in ages at the only deli in town. If you ever get a chance to visit Union, Oregon, I would recommend staying at the Old Union Hotel. This place is like going back in time, the hotel is being restored and there doing a great job.
There are many towns like this in Central and Eastern Oregon, just take the time to visit them, you won't regret it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 01:25 PM

136 posts, read 661,901 times
Default The Dry Side!!!!

I live in Union County, Oregon and I'm always amazed at how many people that live on the Westside of the Cascade Mtns. think that Bend is Eastern Oregon and that the state-line ends just east of there. 2/3 of the land mass in Oregon lies East of the Cascade Mtns. and some of the state's best scenery. THe Wallowa Mountians of Northeast Oregon is in my opinion the most scenic place in the United States with the exception of parts of Alaska. If you ever get the chance to hike up to Lakes Basin in the Wallowa Mountians, you will feel the same as well. People take their food out here very seriously, there is a whole farm direct network out here in which residents buy directly from locals farmers and ranchers and if you don't garden, you will be in a small minority you don't. The grass-fed, additive-free beef raised out here in Northeast Oregon is wonderful!

Old 12-21-2007, 03:06 PM

143 posts, read 541,028 times
We live in the Portland area, but love the Wallowa area! We went backpacking there a couple years ago and so for this summer we are planning an old fashioned road trip through as much of the eastern part of the state as we can manage. So many people come to Oregon and see Portland and the coast. They don't realize just how much more we have, and it is sad that they don't see the "real" Oregon, IMO.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:35 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,250,082 times
(Another good reason why we need a direct East-West access highway from the Coast to the other side of Oregon. Maybe even a Toll Highway.) Just my opinion.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:41 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,960,170 times
Chris, I do have to admit that the Northeast Area of Oregon is beautiful, when you cross over the Blues into LaGrande you see a side of Oregon that very few people visit. Then you exit at LaGrande headed toward Elgin and on to Joseph. The Wallowa Mts are a great place to visit.
There are allot of things to see in Central and Eastern Oregon.
1) Oregon has the deepest canyon in the Northern Hemisphere, Hells Canyon
2) Oregon has the oldest and largest exposed rock fault in the Northern Hemisphere, Albert Rim
3) Oregon has the deepest lake in the US, Crater Lake
Just to name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon