Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:15 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,186,761 times

Advertisements

We were looking at the map and it doesn't look like there are any nearby towns. We see something that is over an hour drive. Then there's all that snow! How would you travel with 12 feet of snow on the roads? (just grabbed a number there, I realize there is are higher drifts than that) I've seen some roads marked as "closed during winter" in the park.

There are some job openings and, if I ever got a call, I'm not convinced it would be the right place for me, mostly because I don't understand the area.

On the other hand it is probably one of the most beautiful places in the country. That's a big draw. I can dress for cold...

Maybe the park employees live on property? I just have no clue. I do plan to call there and ask some questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 10:28 AM

10,987 posts, read 20,454,482 times
I recommend you call the park office and ask

Old 09-05-2014, 10:38 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,731,562 times
There is some housing up there. From the park, you'd drive to Medford (about 90 miles) for major shopping, maybe Klamath Falls (about 60 miles) for minor shopping. A lot of park employees I know live in the Chiloquin area (although not inside the city, out in Agency Lake/Fort Klamath area in unincorporated Chiloquin), where it is about a 25 minute drive in to the entrance.

You don't want to live in the town of Chiloquin. If you have kids, unless you home school or are willing to live in either Medford or Klamath Falls and have a long drive in, pass on the job.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:26 PM

10,003 posts, read 7,139,323 times
When I went, one of the rangers said they put her up in some housing in the actual park, at least during the winter.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:39 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,731,562 times
They've been having bedbug problems up at the temp employee housing (sort of a dorm).

KTVL CBS Channel 10 :: Medford - News - Top Stories - Former Crater Lake Employees Say Bed Bugs Still Biting

Old 09-05-2014, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the replies. No kids at home. Yikes, bedbugs! No wonder there are job openings! Those are nasty critters. There were some in Kuwait when I was there. Fortunately I didn't have any run-ins but I was working with the CE bunch that had to deal with them.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,651,658 times
Many park service jobs are seasonal & offer temporary housing at bunkhouses in the park, which you share with other seasonal workers. Once the snow starts flying, most of those employees are long gone, returning to college or finding other temporary jobs.

The permanent workforce are the ones living in the rural communities on the outskirts of the park.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:25 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,563,577 times
Mazama Village.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:20 AM

This would be a permanent, not seasonal job. I applied for a job at one park that has a built-in annual furlough but this job doesn't seem to have that. I think because winter enthusiasts are faithful to the park. It's a gorgeous place.

Rural communities outside of the park...could you name a few? I guess we only saw some that are an hour+ drive one-way. (ETA: I see PNW listed a couple of places. oops. I'll start with those.)

Larry, thanks, I'll look that up and see what Mazama Village is. (Bedbug city?)

Also adding: I see on another thread there are retirees moving into the area. And here I am thinking I'm too old to be living there. Hmmm.... All I know is, God showed me Hawaii, which is more beautiful than the beauty I saw in CT. This may be the next level of beauty. Of course, after living so many years in the Memphis area, ANYTHING looks good!

Old 09-09-2014, 08:24 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,084,547 times
Re-read post #3, PNW knows what she is talking about. There is indeed a lot of snow during the Winter months in and around the Crater Lake area, and the Winter months start early in the year and end late in the year. If you plan on living here, you had better like the snow and the living conditions that go along with it. Except for living at the park in provided housing, Fort Klamath is probably the nearest community. It is a small town with scattered ranches around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon