Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:16 PM

15 posts, read 84,317 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is looking to move to Joseph and purchase a house. He hunts over there every year (we are from Coos Bay) and is starting to consider making the move. He works on the ocean and is gone for weeks, possibly months at a time. Which would leave me alone for that time. I have a few questions.
1.) What is the nearest shopping (something more like Walmart, Safeway, etc..)?
2.) Where is the nearest VA clinic &/or hospital as I am a Veteran it is my only healthcare providers?
3.) I have Verizon cell phone...how is reception? I understand that a lot of people can do without technology but I am reluctant to give up mine.
4.) How is internet service? I connect for gaming, Netflix, skype(my son is in the military and sometimes that can be the only way to see him). I need decent and fast internet connection.

Thank you for any answers you can help me with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 05:31 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhcr72 View Post
My boyfriend is looking to move to Joseph and purchase a house. He hunts over there every year (we are from Coos Bay) and is starting to consider making the move. He works on the ocean and is gone for weeks, possibly months at a time. Which would leave me alone for that time. I have a few questions.
1.) What is the nearest shopping (something more like Walmart, Safeway, etc..)?
2.) Where is the nearest VA clinic &/or hospital as I am a Veteran it is my only healthcare providers?
3.) I have Verizon cell phone...how is reception? I understand that a lot of people can do without technology but I am reluctant to give up mine.
4.) How is internet service? I connect for gaming, Netflix, skype(my son is in the military and sometimes that can be the only way to see him). I need decent and fast internet connection.

Thank you for any answers you can help me with.
Hi tmhcr, Have you ever been to Joseph? You must like snow and a lot of it, along with shoveling. Whatever you purchase will need to be shoveled so that you have a path. It's a artist town by summer and a snowmobile town by winter. Few locals stay all winter most move into Lewiston or snowbirds who head for Arizona and other warm states. Most shops closed up after Labor Day, some will reopen around Christmas.

We were up there 5 yrs ago and there was no internet and the town closes at 5:00. Nothing is open on Saturday or Sunday, no WalMart or convenience stores available in Joseph. The nearest town would be LaGrande, not sure how the snow is on the highways, my guess it would be a long trip. La Grande is 1 1/2 hrs from Joseph. La Grande is a college town of around 2500.

No hospital until you get to La grande. Not a town for someone who will be alone a lot of the time. My suggestion make a trip real soon and speak with the locals. It's beautiful, the road up there is very windy and watch for cattle. The best road to ride a motorcycle on, the curves are entertaining.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:36 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
You need to visit Joseph. From the coast it's a one day drive. Take your cell phone and your laptop with you. It's likely your nearest shopping will be in LaGrande and your nearest VAMC will be in Portland, unless there is something in Lewiston or Moscow.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:54 PM

5,455 posts, read 8,168,222 times
I live in Northeast Oregon so my answers are probably correct, but double check to make sure.

1. You can buy groceries at a locally owned store in Joseph, but the closest Walmart is in La Grande. You might check to see if there is something like a
Safeway in Enterprise.

2. There is a VA outpatient clinic in La Grande and a hospital in Boise.

3. Don't know about cell phone service.

4. Not sure about high speed Internet. But when you find out, make sure it is fast enough for what you want – Netflix, Skype, etc. Sometimes in remote areas the real speed isn't what is advertised.

One thing to keep in mind – if you live in Joseph you have to drive quite a ways on two lane roads to get anywhere, even I-84.

When I decided to retire to Northeast Oregon I considered Joseph, but I decided on Baker City, another town in a picturesque setting, because it was located right on I-84 and it is bigger.

For instance, if I want to fly somewhere it is a two hour drive on I-84 all the way to Boise Airport. From Joseph it is much more difficult four hour drive.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:13 PM

Thank you all for your helpful answers. My boyfriend and his father hunt near Joseph every year (in fact he will be spending all of next month there again). They absolutely love the area but I am quite sure his vision of living doesn't go beyond nature, hunting and fishing. I need to be more realistic. Yes I do love the snow. Actually I miss it. I am originally from Northern Wisconsin. Maybe I'll take a weekend and invade their hunt next month...bringing my cell phone and laptop. ;-) Thank you.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:36 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Maybe it would be better to live in a larger town with the stores/activities/internet you want & to visit Joseph.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:08 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhcr72 View Post
Thank you all for your helpful answers. My boyfriend and his father hunt near Joseph every year (in fact he will be spending all of next month there again). They absolutely love the area but I am quite sure his vision of living doesn't go beyond nature, hunting and fishing. I need to be more realistic. Yes I do love the snow. Actually I miss it. I am originally from Northern Wisconsin. Maybe I'll take a weekend and invade their hunt next month...bringing my cell phone and laptop. ;-) Thank you.
Most men who come to Idaho and parts of Washington & Oregon, rarely think beyond the outdoor stuff.

We tried to sell out house out in the woods, men LOVED IT, women not so much. You do have to like yourself and limited to friends, you will be spending a lot of time alone, in a SMALL town. Some people find this kind of living just fine.

As far as getting to Lewiston I have heard the road is not very well maintained in the winter.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:46 PM

5,455 posts, read 8,168,222 times
I'm not trying to cheer lead for Baker City. I like it a lot, it is a beautiful area with mountains and forests and outdoor activities abound, but it is a rural area and probably not for everybody, especially those who are used to living in large urban areas. I always tell people that they should think hard before moving here.

However, since you might be moving to Northeast Oregon anyway, I have to say, after reading about your needs, that you would probably be much happier here than in Joseph.

The Internet is better, the shopping is better, the health care is better and improving and so on. There is a very nice library and an art center. There is a ski area nearby and a golf course and public tennis courts, etc. There is even a movie theater and it's so safe living here that even a lone woman can walk home in the dark after watching a movie with no problems at all. Oregon's 12 Safest Cities Announced with Baker City Named Safest - Salem-News.Com

And as I mentioned in a previous post, Baker City is right on I-84 so it isn't so difficult to get places.

I can't imagine that your boyfriend and his father could not find a new “favorite” hunting area and fishing spot around here. They are everywhere. Every hunting season the hotel/motel business really picks up because of hunters coming to town.

Another place to consider would be La Grande, but I only visit there and I can't tell you a whole lot about it.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,125 times
I was just in Joseph this past weekend. Actually spent some time hiking and camping in the Wallowas and Eagle Cap Wilderness. It was absolutely beautiful. There is a Safeway in Enterprise, which appeared to be the largest store for the area. It has some basic things, but I agree, you will be traveling to La Grande for anything else. There was a sign for a hospital in Enterprise and upon further research, it appears to have some services. I don't know about the VA, but at least there is something in case of an emergency. Wallowa County Health Care District - Wallowa Memorial Hospital We have Verizon and had service in Enterprise and Joseph, and even out at Wallowa Lake. However, once into the mountains, service dropped quickly.

I used to live in a town the size of Joseph, high in the Colorado mountains, and it's great...for a while. It's definitely worth a trip over in the winter to determine what it's like there during the off season. It sure is beautiful!

Old 09-17-2014, 07:49 PM

Thanks again everyone. I do appreciate the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon