Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 10:40 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times

Advertisements

Absolutely do not miss Timberline Lodge. Mt Hood Recreation | Activities in Oregon | Timberline Lodge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 11:16 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
I'll third the Timberline Lodge recommendation. It's even better if you read up on how it was created.

A couple of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k24CNHcs4jA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP5Z47_hMyo

As Larry Caldwell mentioned, it was used for the exterior shots for Stanley Kubrick's “The Shining” and he didn't do things like that by accident.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:08 AM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times
We've decided to shoot strait to crater in the morning from Redding vitaking a the 5 to the 97. Spend the afternoon there then go to Bend. then we'll head north to the Hood/columbia river area via the 26 (I think?)

The Timberline lodge was mentioned a few times as a must do... are we talking about a short visit like a look around and drink or meal ,or staying over?

Old 09-22-2014, 08:46 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
We've decided to shoot strait to crater in the morning from Redding vitaking a the 5 to the 97. Spend the afternoon there then go to Bend. then we'll head north to the Hood/columbia river area via the 26 (I think?)

The Timberline lodge was mentioned a few times as a must do... are we talking about a short visit like a look around and drink or meal ,or staying over?
Pay close attention to weather, and make decisions based on it.

Timberline Lodge is a must see in Oregon, in good weather.
While the building itself is interesting, magnificent views of Mt. Hood and the Cascase Mountains are the main attraction. When it rains, you see nothing except low-lying clouds which are enveloping the mountain. I've been to Timberline lodge a few times during rainy weather, and even though coming only from Portland, I considered it a wasted trip.
The exception is if you come to Timberline Lodge to ski (which is not your case I assume)

If you indeed have good weather, you could consider staying at the Lodge overnight. It's not cheap, but the ambiance is spectacular, and you can go for a morning hike like no other.
If the weather is bad, I'd stick to eastern (sunnier)slope of Cascades (like the suggested Bend etc), and maybe go to the Columbia River Gorge, perhaps going as far west as Hood River.

As an alternative, consider the Coast again. It's spectacular in any weather, actually, maybe even more interesting when it's cloudy and stormy.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:27 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Sometimes it will get foggy/cloudy at Crater Lake this time of year, especially in the morning.

Current Conditions - Crater Lake National Park (U.S. National Park Service) <<<< Webcam

Have a Wonderful Adventure.

Drive Safely...

Old 09-22-2014, 03:34 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
To stay overnight at Timberline Lodge would be a special treat but if you can't do that spend a couple hours wandering around the building and eat a meal in their dining room.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:36 PM

13 posts, read 17,200 times
Sisters (west of Bend) is a great little western themed tourist town. The downtown core is a must see, IMHO...and the surrounding scenery is like icing on the cake. Great destination but can get crowded during peak season, and don't run over the pedestrians carrying flags...

leftcoast49

Old 09-28-2014, 12:09 AM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Default Hello again Oregon! OP follow up...

Hi Everybody!

Thanks again for so many recommendations and advice!

Okay, so Oregon is just gorgeous! Period!
We already knew that from the few times driving up on occasion, but aimed to spend more quality time up there this time.

HOWEVER...

We unfortunately had to cut it short cause hubby got sick!

We had a nice visit with my brother in Redding for a couple of days, even floated around Whiskeytown Lake during a hot afternoon.
We left for Crater Lake last Monday, stopped in Weed, Ca. where there was a bad fire to give them our gas and breakfast money, then took the 97 to Crater Lake. Wow! That is one awesome site! We had partly cloudy weather, which made it beautiful and interesting, spent the afternoon making our way slowly around the lake, taking pics etc. Really lovely.

We then drove to Bend in the evening and found a popular Brewery. Hubby ordered a stout and a burger and hardly ate a bite. He said he was "tired". I knew there was more to it than that, because it takes a lot to take away his appetite! Anyway, I don't know what the heck he had, but he had fever, aches, pains chills. That's it. Maybe a nonseasonal flu? I dunno. He had no other symptoms. No coughing, stuffy nose etc. weirdness.

We found a place to spend the night but he was no better in the morning. We were planning on doing some biking and exploring but he was miserable. We were hoping it might be a 24 hour thing and thought of driving up north anyway, but the forecast was rain and more rain and I remembered what Skiffrace said about the visibility up at the Timberline Lodge, so between the weather and Hubby's yuck thing, thought maybe to head for the coast.
BTW, we had gone up the Oregon coast May of '13 and it was glorious, so we had no problem changing our plans.

We did stop in Sisters, but by then Hubs was feeling worse. He insisted I go do my "girly" thing checking out the shops and the quilt store while he slept in the car. Poor thing he was so out of it, I suggested we skip the coast and start heading south. I didn't know if he was going to get worse and in need of a doctor and felt the coast was a little too isolated if we wanted to leave quickly. So, we spent the night in Ashland, and he was up for a little soup. I always wanted to see the town anyway, and we hadn't planned on it this trip so at least we got a little "low level" taste of the town even if we didn't do much. It did start raining the next day and it was beautiful! I took so many pictures of the sky!! Coming from dry dry So. Cal, I nearly forgot how beautiful and interesting the sky looks in the rain!

So anyway, to make an already too long a story shorter, I kept feeding him Tylenol, and he did do some of the driving, but instead of shooting straight down the 5, we took the scenic route on the coast, stopping in Monterrey, driving through Big Sur and checking out Solvang. We'd done all that before so we were a little Meh, cause we would have rather been in Portland or Brookings, even in the rain, but at least it was pleasant. Thankfully however, my sweetie was better by Thursday and had his appetite back. We even had a steak and rode our bikes in Ventura.

So anyway, poor hubs was so frustrated about getting sick on this trip, and yeah, it was a bummer, but we DID get to see Crater Lake!! This was the main goal anyway, now I can check it off the bucket list!

Thanks again everyone, I've made mental notes of what you've told me, and we'll try again next year and give ourselves more time as well. I can already tell, I won't get enough of Oregon!

Old 09-30-2014, 09:42 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi Everybody!

Thanks again for so many recommendations and advice!

Okay, so Oregon is just gorgeous! Period!
We already knew that from the few times driving up on occasion, but aimed to spend more quality time up there this time.

HOWEVER...

We unfortunately had to cut it short cause hubby got sick!

We had a nice visit with my brother in Redding for a couple of days, even floated around Whiskeytown Lake during a hot afternoon.
We left for Crater Lake last Monday, stopped in Weed, Ca. where there was a bad fire to give them our gas and breakfast money, then took the 97 to Crater Lake. Wow! That is one awesome site! We had partly cloudy weather, which made it beautiful and interesting, spent the afternoon making our way slowly around the lake, taking pics etc. Really lovely.

We then drove to Bend in the evening and found a popular Brewery. Hubby ordered a stout and a burger and hardly ate a bite. He said he was "tired". I knew there was more to it than that, because it takes a lot to take away his appetite! Anyway, I don't know what the heck he had, but he had fever, aches, pains chills. That's it. Maybe a nonseasonal flu? I dunno. He had no other symptoms. No coughing, stuffy nose etc. weirdness.

We found a place to spend the night but he was no better in the morning. We were planning on doing some biking and exploring but he was miserable. We were hoping it might be a 24 hour thing and thought of driving up north anyway, but the forecast was rain and more rain and I remembered what Skiffrace said about the visibility up at the Timberline Lodge, so between the weather and Hubby's yuck thing, thought maybe to head for the coast.
BTW, we had gone up the Oregon coast May of '13 and it was glorious, so we had no problem changing our plans.

We did stop in Sisters, but by then Hubs was feeling worse. He insisted I go do my "girly" thing checking out the shops and the quilt store while he slept in the car. Poor thing he was so out of it, I suggested we skip the coast and start heading south. I didn't know if he was going to get worse and in need of a doctor and felt the coast was a little too isolated if we wanted to leave quickly. So, we spent the night in Ashland, and he was up for a little soup. I always wanted to see the town anyway, and we hadn't planned on it this trip so at least we got a little "low level" taste of the town even if we didn't do much. It did start raining the next day and it was beautiful! I took so many pictures of the sky!! Coming from dry dry So. Cal, I nearly forgot how beautiful and interesting the sky looks in the rain!

So anyway, to make an already too long a story shorter, I kept feeding him Tylenol, and he did do some of the driving, but instead of shooting straight down the 5, we took the scenic route on the coast, stopping in Monterrey, driving through Big Sur and checking out Solvang. We'd done all that before so we were a little Meh, cause we would have rather been in Portland or Brookings, even in the rain, but at least it was pleasant. Thankfully however, my sweetie was better by Thursday and had his appetite back. We even had a steak and rode our bikes in Ventura.

So anyway, poor hubs was so frustrated about getting sick on this trip, and yeah, it was a bummer, but we DID get to see Crater Lake!! This was the main goal anyway, now I can check it off the bucket list!

Thanks again everyone, I've made mental notes of what you've told me, and we'll try again next year and give ourselves more time as well. I can already tell, I won't get enough of Oregon!
Glad you were able to make it to Crater Lake and see a few things you wanted to, despite your husband's illness. Traveling while sick is no fun at all! Thanks for the update and hopefully you'll get a chance to see the other places you want in Oregon the next time you make it up this way.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:12 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Thank You for the follow-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon