Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,064 times

Advertisements

Let's not mess around with a sub-forum. How about a new STATE forum - " STATE OF JEFFERSON"?

Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 11:15 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Pretty sure the most recently created sub forum was the Bend subforum. Really, if you look at the subforums other than Portland, we don't have a lot of traffic in the Oregon forums - the Salem and Eugene forums could easily be deleted, if you only go by traffic count
I think your post hits the nail on the head. Subforums are great in theory, but they can actually be negatives. A number of forums I used to frequent are so dead that most days I skip them - I'm much more likely to see a post in the general state forum.

And even the proponents of a new subforum can't agree on exactly what they would want a new subforum to encapsulate (Medford MSA/Rogue Valley/"Southern" Oregon).

Subforums really need long-term daily activity to be viable, for the mods, for us regulars, and for newbies or at least people looking at Oregon for the first time ("Should a KFalls question go in the general state forum or a Southern Oregon subforum?").

Old 12-10-2014, 02:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
Let's not mess around with a sub-forum. How about a new STATE forum - " STATE OF JEFFERSON"?

Why not?

Haha! I love it. It is actually true that the area is unique in both Oregon and California.

And it kicks a**!

Old 12-13-2014, 01:04 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
More important is where the moderators are. If there was a moderator living in Medford, then they would find enough traffic for it to get a subform there. At least that seems to be the way it works.
Actually, this is probably the farthest thing from the truth. I do happen to live in Bend and also happen to be the moderator, but I'm the exception and not the rule. Most of our moderators on CD don't live in the locales they moderate. There was a need for an Oregon moderator though and I stepped up to the plate. That's it, really.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:14 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,178,236 times
You see it in every state forum – hurt feelings - people feeling slighted when their locality doesn't have its own sub-forum - even when it wouldn't make the state forum any better.

And they think they are being treated unfairly because the mean moderators are playing favorites: “Why does Prescott have their own sub-forum and not us?” “Why does Bend have their own sub-forum and not us?” An on and on. It reminds me my two (adult) sisters bickering at family get togethers: “You were always mother's favorite. You always got everything you wanted. Mother always let you sit in the front seat and I had to sit in the back, etc. etc.”

Old 12-14-2014, 02:16 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Actually, this is probably the farthest thing from the truth. I do happen to live in Bend and also happen to be the moderator, but I'm the exception and not the rule. Most of our moderators on CD don't live in the locales they moderate. There was a need for an Oregon moderator though and I stepped up to the plate. That's it, really.
I just found it interesting that you are from Bend, and Bend despite having a smaller population then Medford, has it's own sub-forum. A very interesting coincidence.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:11 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Quote:
I just found it interesting that you are from Bend, and Bend despite having a smaller population then Medford, has it's own sub-forum. A very interesting coincidence.
Bend also happened to get its own subforum several years before I joined the moderation team this year. I also don't just moderate the Bend forum, but all of Oregon's forums. No coincidence at all.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:55 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Don't blame delta. It is a long-term bias. Portland rules the roost, and they tend to think about Bend as fun in the sun, so on the "radar" so to speak. S. Oregon is off the radar for most.

I want S. Oregon to get it's due, but I think I agree that carving up the state into too many boxes might work against getting a critical mass in discussion. For example, I check the Oregon forum several times a week, but I have only visited Bend a couple times, and never even opened the Eugene or Salem subpages.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:07 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
....... ("Should a KFalls question go in the general state forum or a Southern Oregon subforum?").
Neither one. Klamath Falls is in Central Oregon, so it goes into the Bend sub-forum. That sub-forum might be labeled "Bend" but it is used for all of Central Oregon.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:00 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Neither one. Klamath Falls is in Central Oregon, so it goes into the Bend sub-forum. That sub-forum might be labeled "Bend" but it is used for all of Central Oregon.
That seems arbitrary, since geographically it's far closer to Ashland (not to mention the CA border), and not particularly 'central' on a map. It also has next to nothing in common with Bend other than sitting on Rt. 97.

In any case, if I were out of state and looking at KFalls, there's no chance I would consider posting a question under the Bend subforum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon