Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 06:34 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,101 times

Advertisements

Last time I was in Oregon I drove the coast highway 101 all the way from Astoria to Bookings, over 300 miles. I expected it would be so beautiful but I was highly disappointing. It seemed like at every turn we would see huge clear-cuts where the forest over 40-100 acres would be mostly cut down. Instead of a large forest was a bunch of logs and debris left in the forest to rot. It was so ugly.

I could not believe that they would clear cut the forest so close to a major Scenic (??) Highway. I understand that Oregon is a logging State but couldn't they cut the forest in more isolated areas far from the scenic roads where tourists go. Or could they selectively cut a few trees instead of clearcutting a huge area?

The ugly scenes of clearcut forests will haunt me for years and discourages me from returning to the Pacific Northwest.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:33 PM

124 posts, read 501,896 times
Doesn't bother me at all. If you don't like it don't come back. Not much more to say.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:52 PM

66 posts, read 254,627 times
Busch71, why are you such an ? And how could it not bother you? Everyone I know is sickened by it. What is wrong with you?

Last edited by Waterlily; 01-04-2008 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: no flames-no name calling

Old 01-04-2008, 12:57 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen Cap Chew View Post
Busch71,And how could it not bother you? Everyone I know is sickened by it. What is wrong with you?
and in this corner......, really how many of us have forestry degrees? There are many reasons areas are logged, economic, pest, ect, I do know they are replanted, pronto, did a little of that in my youth, all uphill you know.

Last edited by Waterlily; 01-05-2008 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: taking out a word from quote

Old 01-04-2008, 02:13 PM

124 posts, read 501,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen Cap Chew View Post
Busch71, And how could it not bother you? Everyone I know is sickened by it. What is wrong with you?
Stating my opinion is being an mod cut How could it not bother me? Simple, I don't let it. A few acres of trees cut down isn't something to get your panties in a twist over. When I drive by an area like that it doesn't bother me a bit. If he doesn't want to come back and look at it then that's his choice, it isn't going to affect my life and it isn't going to stop me from enjoying the coast or any other area of the state just because he didn't like what he saw.

Last edited by Waterlily; 01-05-2008 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: no name calling

Old 01-04-2008, 05:04 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,483 times
Usually they push all that debris and left behind logs in huge piles and burn them but that's a whole other air pollution problem. Oh yeah, and let's not forget about road slides.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:35 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
I think really it's whoever who owns the lands right to do with it what they will... but sadly so much of the land is owned by people who don't realize that cutting so much will result in horrific floods later... of course they do replant... but a 20, 50, 100, 200 year old tree soaks up a vastly different amount of water than a young little one... It is dangerous to cut so much so close together and so near busy roads and towns in low-lying areas... Also - trees filter the air as well... and if you've cut them all down, and then you burn what's left, you're stuck with this horrible air which in areas like the Pacific Northwest tends to stick around for a bit because of the geography...

Really... they need to start thinking of other resources other than trees to use... reuse and recycle other materials... there are already plenty of living examples out there of some really wonderful possibilities... and not just for use in construction - everything from pencils to paper and beyond. There are so many tree-free alternatives out there. We just need to seek them out and change our buying habits.

Once the demand decreases, so will the clear-cutting.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:41 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think really it's whoever who owns the lands right to do with it what they will... but sadly so much of the land is owned by people who don't realize that cutting so much will result in horrific floods later... of course they do replant... but a 20, 50, 100, 200 year old tree soaks up a vastly different amount of water than a young little one... It is dangerous to cut so much so close together and so near busy roads and towns in low-lying areas... Also - trees filter the air as well... and if you've cut them all down, and then you burn what's left, you're stuck with this horrible air which in areas like the Pacific Northwest tends to stick around for a bit because of the geography...

Really... they need to start thinking of other resources other than trees to use... reuse and recycle other materials... there are already plenty of living examples out there of some really wonderful possibilities... and not just for use in construction - everything from pencils to paper and beyond. There are so many tree-free alternatives out there. We just need to seek them out and change our buying habits.

Once the demand decreases, so will the clear-cutting.
If you live in Oregon, good chances your city is funded by timber reciepts, so the clear cuts maybe the reason you have a fire department, trust me the whole system is so fouled up that you will get your wish, unfortunatly when the forest is full of dead trees and snags and catches on fire and then in turn burns down your house, well that is just progress.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:11 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
and in this corner......, really how many of us have forestry degrees? There are many reasons areas are logged, economic, pest, ect, I do know they are replanted, pronto, did a little of that in my youth, all uphill you know.
The trees are supposed to be replanted, but in many cases they're not.

I agree with the OP, the clear cut areas are UGLY, not to mention shocking when you drive around a scenic corner, and are faced with a raped countryside.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:32 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
I'm in Montana and when we see a clear-cut area it is often because the area burned and they do salvage logging. It is dryer here and I've never heard of any floods caused by logging here. If one doesn't like logging, one should stop using forest products.
Most of the domestic timber consumed in the U.S. is from tree farming now at least that's what I have read. Who really knows. I know a lot of land here is screwed up from not logging. Once virgin forest is logged once it must be managed from then on or it will take forever for a healthy forest to come back. The land ends up a thicket of poles.
Now with O.S.B the big trees can be left alone and small trees became usable. Plywood requires large timber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: