U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:55 PM

95 posts, read 266,238 times

Advertisements

We're considering moving to Bend & are afraid of what sounds like the majority of Oregon's population on meth? I'm only joking a little. Seems to be a frequent mention in a large variety of posts here. Is it that large a problem? I never would've guessed that before reading this forum. Seems like such a healthy place to live...

Old 01-06-2008, 08:20 AM

6,038 posts, read 6,864,914 times
That crap is everywhere and much is coming up from Mexico. I live in Montana and our state is cracking down on these tweekers very very decisively these days. We've seen already how it makes a difference when the authorities get serious about stopping this cancer. We have seen more than a few tweeker types get run out of our town lately.
When you live in a town of about 500 people you can actually see the results of a crackdown. We used to call these surges of law enforcement "spring cleaning" ! They seem to leave the pot smokers alone for the most part as long as the pot smoker isn't also a town troublemaker or something. Meth addicts are about the nastiest scum there is. When I lived in San Diego you could see them everywhere. We used to call them "wigglers" because they roll wide eyes around with head bobbling while fidgeting around in a wiggling manner. I've seen at least one neighbor change from a good honest guy who worked and kept up with the responsibilities of life to a filthy, thieving, mumbling homeless shopping cart bum in three months time. It is shocking and sad. He was really a fun friendly person and now he is a zombie.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:54 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,673,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
That crap is everywhere and much is coming up from Mexico. I live in Montana and our state is cracking down on these tweekers very very decisively these days. We've seen already how it makes a difference when the authorities get serious about stopping this cancer. We have seen more than a few tweeker types get run out of our town lately.
When you live in a town of about 500 people you can actually see the results of a crackdown. We used to call these surges of law enforcement "spring cleaning" ! They seem to leave the pot smokers alone for the most part as long as the pot smoker isn't also a town troublemaker or something. Meth addicts are about the nastiest scum there is. When I lived in San Diego you could see them everywhere. We used to call them "wigglers" because they roll wide eyes around with head bobbling while fidgeting around in a wiggling manner. I've seen at least one neighbor change from a good honest guy who worked and kept up with the responsibilities of life to a filthy, thieving, mumbling homeless shopping cart bum in three months time. It is shocking and sad. He was really a fun friendly person and now he is a zombie.
I agree, and have seen good tenants turn into something unrecognizable in the same time frame.

Last edited by Mt-7; 01-06-2008 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,673,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neal93 View Post
We're considering moving to Bend & are afraid of what sounds like the majority of Oregon's population on meth? I'm only joking a little. Seems to be a frequent mention in a large variety of posts here. Is it that large a problem? I never would've guessed that before reading this forum. Seems like such a healthy place to live...
Agree with the other poster, you find it in oregon because of the proximity to the I-5 corridor, Oregon has made it more difficult to buy the OC ingredients but now the gangs are just running it in faster from the south. Just educate yourself and you will know. I would disagree that with your percentage of the population being on meth, now down in Eugene there is a possibility of a contact high

Old 01-06-2008, 09:17 AM

There are the obvious tweekers who went down fast and there are closet tweekers who do it but know that everyone around them looks down on meth use so they keep it as secret as they can. These folks either continue to go down the tube or they snap out of it (usually with some kind of intervention). Very few continue to use meth while managing to maintain a semblance of a normal life.
Sometimes it seems that if there are tweekers in your neighborhood, it's best to just lock the doors and prey that Darwin's theory is correct !
We had a young neighbor who started that crap and within a couple of weeks of everyday tweaking she ran over to our place screaming that there was a bomb in her heater and that the thermostat was the triggering device ! The next day she scratched her arm bloody saying there were bugs crawling out of her pores. The sad part is that this girl was raising a small child by herself.

Last edited by Rickers; 01-06-2008 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 01-06-2008, 09:47 AM

841 posts, read 4,674,776 times
There are issues with meth, but like a previous poster said, it's everywhere. But, in Oregon, the meth problem is overblown. I'm actually getting sick of these commercials that seem to sympathize with methheads. Some locals love to say how bad their town is with either crime or meth.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:47 AM

Those folks may be trying to discourage crowds from moving to the area.
If they really think their towns meth problem is bad then they most likely have never been to Tacoma Wa. or San Diego Ca.
San Diego counties urban center has 4,400 homeless people and there are only a little over 2000 beds in homeless shelters. The County of San Diego as a whole has apx. 9,600 homeless people.
Hey bro can ya spare some change ! I had to walk around two homeless people having sex under a blanket right on the sidewalk in downtown San Diego once. Is it any wonder why I moved to Montucky ? !!!

Old 01-06-2008, 12:41 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,680,149 times
Rickers: I'm not sure what relevance your comments have to someone asking about the meth problem in Oregon. San Diego and Montana are irrelevant.

Neal93: The meth problem is overblown. Think of your own current community. I'm sure there's a meth problem there. Is it as bad as it's reported? Probably not. It's not like you're going to see people shooting up in the parks or the streets. I live in Salem which has historically been the meth capital of Oregon. But, as a previous poster said, due to the crackdown of over the counter drugs used in meth manufacture, the number of meth labs has plummeted. Unfortunately, I cannot give figures on numbers of meth heads. My understanding is that the problem isn't as bad in Central Oregon. I could be wrong. Anyway, don't worry yourself over something that is basically a non-issue for the majority of people.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:55 PM

95 posts, read 266,238 times
Default Good, sounds overblown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
Rickers: I'm not sure what relevance your comments have to someone asking about the meth problem in Oregon. San Diego and Montana are irrelevant.

Neal93: The meth problem is overblown. Think of your own current community. I'm sure there's a meth problem there. Is it as bad as it's reported? Probably not. It's not like you're going to see people shooting up in the parks or the streets. I live in Salem which has historically been the meth capital of Oregon. But, as a previous poster said, due to the crackdown of over the counter drugs used in meth manufacture, the number of meth labs has plummeted. Unfortunately, I cannot give figures on numbers of meth heads. My understanding is that the problem isn't as bad in Central Oregon. I could be wrong. Anyway, don't worry yourself over something that is basically a non-issue for the majority of people.
Thanks bobmulk, I was hoping that was the case...

Old 01-06-2008, 08:19 PM

neal 93, beware and take everything that bobmulk has to say about meth in Oregon with a grain of salt after all he is "in real estate in the valley" The relevance of my comment about meth use in other areas in regards to the meth problem in Oregon is that tweak chefs are mobile and they can pop up and disappear in a heartbeat, they will follow the market. If one has blinders on they won't even notice the labs operating in their midst. Plus when you schmooze over your areas drug problems as a realtor, you cause people to consider moving into your area hoping to make a frigging sale and when these people realize that where they moved to isn't much better that where they were running from they end up coming here ! Liberal minded Oregonians that refuse to acknowledge their meth problems, especially Real estate people like you that encourage folks to come to your area to buy property through you, only to find that they made a big overpriced mistake are running to my state to escape this plague. I've been all over the western U.S. looking for a nice place to retire and you can sell your precious Oregon for less as far as I'm concerned. The meth problem is bad everywhere and for anyone who claims that their local meth problem is a non issue for the majority of people is just either schmoozing it over because they don't want to scare off customers or they have been listening to too many old Monkees 8 track tapes ! Oregon's meth problem is a direct result of liberal political views. bobmulk if you ever get those blinders off and want to run away to a place where there is no meth just remember that it was liberal views imported from your home state, (California) , that allowed the problem to get the point that it has. One crank head in a town is enough to be a problem and we don't want it here. There are no gangs in western Montana and we want to keep it that way. Oh excuse me I mentioned Montana on the Oregon board ,well I guess I'll take my demerits for straying off topic, and please don't run here when your ignored meth problem drives you out of Oregon !

Last edited by Rickers; 01-06-2008 at 08:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon