Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 8,429 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and have loved reading the insights of everyone.

I've lived in the damp, foggy Northern California coast for about 10 years and have had a heck of a time with mold in the places I've lived. It has triggered long term chronic migraines and even my doctor has now thrown up her hands and said my only recourse is to move. (I've tried meds, diet changes, dehumidifiers, air purifiers - everything. I'm just miserable. I moved here from the Bay Area and my migraine problems started about 2 months after moving here so it's been a long 10 years.)

I need to be close enough to the job I'll be keeping here to drive here in 7-8 hours if need be. I'll be telecommuting the rest of the time, so job searching is not a concern. I also don't have any kids and am not going to, so schools are not a concern either.

Many people have suggested Medford/Ashland to me as it's much drier and thus has less of a mold problem in homes. Has that been your experience? I know it rains but not as much as where I am now and it seems less foggy and just less damp overall.

I considered Sonoma County in CA but it's just too expensive. (I'll be renting.)

From what I can gather, the mold problem doesn't seem to be as big of an issue in Medford, and I hope that is true. Any insight you have would be much appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 11:09 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Medford is a long and slow drive to the Nor Cal coast - probably at least 2.5 hours to Crescent City, on twisty 2 lane road. You'd probably be better off looking in Redding, Red Bluff, Willits or Healdsburg. The median home price in Redding and Medford is about the same. Redding is hotter with longer summers, but has sunnier winters.

It is certainly drier here than on the coast, although in winter it can be damp and mold can be an issue.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:15 AM

Thank you for the reply. The drive doesn't intimidate me, as where I am now is a long slow windy drive to anywhere anyway. I forgot to mention that Redding is not an option do to the heat and overall I just don't like the town. At all. I'd love Headlsburg but I just can't afford it.

Do you find that many people move away from Medford due to mold? Is it that big of an issue?

Old 01-03-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGirlInOr View Post
Thank you for the reply. The drive doesn't intimidate me, as where I am now is a long slow windy drive to anywhere anyway. I forgot to mention that Redding is not an option do to the heat and overall I just don't like the town. At all. I'd love Headlsburg but I just can't afford it.

Do you find that many people move away from Medford due to mold? Is it that big of an issue?
No, mold is not a big issue - you do need to carefully hang things like towels to dry.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:14 PM

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:47 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
I'd like to suggest that you call a local allergist in areas you are considering and ask for their opinion. Since they will see a lot of patients, they can probably give you better data than we can.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:19 PM

7 posts, read 9,564 times
I have horrific mold allergies. I would consider Medford/Ashland in Oregon. BUT… Silverfall's answer is the best answer… contact local allergists and ask for their opinion.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:41 PM

The only problem with allergies is that you never know - the spouse had minimal allergies in Portland, but when we moved to the high desert he found he was very allergic to juniper, rabbit brush and buckbrush. Since we had no exposure to those things before we moved, he had no idea he'd be allergic to them.

My allergies were very bad in Portland and haven't been bad here yet. On the other hand, it took years for them to develop there and, due to drought, we haven't had a really wet spring here yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon