Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:28 AM

177 posts, read 969,580 times

Advertisements

The Quote you are thinking of was from (then) Governer Tom McCall, in 1971 he said
Quote:
Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live.

Last edited by dachmom; 01-16-2008 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 01:13 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJodi View Post

I've only joined this forum very recently, but the trend I'm seeing is that the folks who will encourage you to move here tend to be real estate agents and builders/contractors. Makes sense, since they stand to benefit financially from a continuous barrage of newcomers.

Fact is, real native Oregonians do NOT like newcomers, who have successfully destroyed much of what Oregon once was.
"

for the first comment here,I say, not so true, Im not in either or those fields, nor anything remotely related to them, and I feel anyone that wants to come live here has that full and perfect right. There are many many wonderful Oregonians who have contributed greatly to our state that were NOT born/raised here.
as for the second one...well, thats a very rude and immature opinion....not to mention untrue. Im a 3rd generation Oregonian, and my family, friends and i could care less where people are from. Yes, Im proud to have roots here as far back as I do, and Im fiercely proud of my homestate. But i also welcome new friends, and sometimes new family! (my stepmom was born/raised in S.Cal!) Besides, you ever stop and concider that if you were successful in blocking anyone to coming into Oregon, that eventually, we'd be inbred? Ugh....
not to mention, turn it around. Do you think if you were born/raised here, you should be shunned from other states? What if you visited another state, fell in love w/it and moved there, only to be treated as you are treating others that want to move here?

I hope people pass over your bitter opinions and know that most Oregonians are much more friendly, helpful and wonderful people...
Tiffany

Old 01-16-2008, 02:09 PM

225 posts, read 1,092,526 times
Default thank you

thank you all who have givin positive feedback about what its like to live in oregon. Now to you others that are giving negative feedback and saying don't move here stay where you are blah blah blah. I can understand why your saying it. I was the same way when i grew up in indiana and people were moving into my home town. but eventually grew out of it when i came to realize everybody is different and you have to give people a chance before you perscute them. I'll also have you know that i'm born and raised in the midwest (in case the comment about indiana didn't click) and pride myself on being a blue collar worker who loves the outdoors. Which is from what i've read and seen is out like what oregons are. So while i understand your resentment for people moving into your gorgeous state. Please don't pass judgement on people until you get to know them and find out how they really are. Thank you

Old 01-24-2008, 12:05 AM

17 posts, read 54,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collint View Post
thank you all who have givin positive feedback about what its like to live in oregon. Now to you others that are giving negative feedback and saying don't move here stay where you are blah blah blah. I can understand why your saying it. I was the same way when i grew up in indiana and people were moving into my home town. but eventually grew out of it when i came to realize everybody is different and you have to give people a chance before you perscute them. I'll also have you know that i'm born and raised in the midwest (in case the comment about indiana didn't click) and pride myself on being a blue collar worker who loves the outdoors. Which is from what i've read and seen is out like what oregons are. So while i understand your resentment for people moving into your gorgeous state. Please don't pass judgement on people until you get to know them and find out how they really are. Thank you
you are 100% correct, i was born and raised here in oregon and for awhile, i too had resentment for people moving into my city and i later realized that i should be welcoming to people who move here. I cant stand when people try to make it seem like they know what they r talking about and say things like "most oregonians are rude and dont want people moving here" and try to speak on behalf of the entire state. i welcome anyone to oregon as do most of us, anytime and think it is the best decision they could ever make....i will never leave oregon because its my home and is heaven in my eyes and i couldnt imagine living anywhere else.anyone who never visits oregon in their lifetime has truely missed out. good luck on your move and i think your decision to come here is a good one.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,730 times
I was fortunate enough to be able to live in Oregon for approx 3 years. My husband and I moved to Seaside OR ( a very small town on the northern coast, approx 20 miles from the WA border) from CA. due to a job transfer. I wish we had never left. The people, once they get to know you, are very friendly, in fact I made more friends there compared to any other place I have ever lived. One friend told me that because she got to know me she now has a different opinion of Californians, that she will judge them on an individual basis and not assume we are all bad people.

My husbands job takes us to many wonderful places and I wish I could have stayed in Oregon!

The first few months were a little tricky. I knew from visiting OR for vacations that the people did not exactly LOVE folks from CA but I spoke with many native Oregonians while I lived there and they explained their feelings. I now totally understand why they might have those feelings. The majority of the natives I spoke with told me they believed that Californians were driving up the cost of real estate, making it very difficult for them to own anything themselves. There are not alot of jobs that pay more than minimum wage, if you were lucky to find a job at all. The most I made was $8.50 an hour, which is not a living wage anywhere in this country. I am not complaining about my pay at all. I felt lucky that I had a job and most importantly that my husband worked for a company that paid well and provided benefits.

If you are a decent person, which I am sure you are, you will be accepted in Oregon and love it there. Don't let the climate scare you. It is not as bad as you hear about. The state has distinct seasons, all of which are beautiful! You will get a little snow almost everywhere in OR. One exception might be on the Southern coastal area, but even there you might get a small amount that does not last long.

Bottom line, if you have the opportunity to live in OR, GO FOR IT! Just remember to be a good neighbor, just like anywhere you might live in the world.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:08 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADY_DI View Post
it rains everday in the winter no sun the air STINKS people get very rude and nasty
jobs are hard to get pay is low i may move back to az

Methinks you must live in Portland or Eugene.

Folks are very nice where I live, and we have a great gun club here.

I'm in Albany, BTW.

you can have Arizona. I moved here from Yuma which I would take this place over anyday. If you're hydrophobic, yes, it sucks. But I'm not, I'll take the drizzle over the scorching sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon