Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 04:11 AM

198 posts, read 344,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chammichti View Post
We just bought a piece of property in Unit 4 in KFFE. Does anyone know of any water haulers or any alternative ways to get water in that area? We are planning on camping there a few times a year..thanks
Parts of Unit 4 have a community well, which means there's a cistern and you can take water from that to your property. When you say you're going to camp there, are you going to build a cabin or are you going to camp with an RV? How long are you going to stay at a time?

That will determine a lot, and what sort of investment you want to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,892 times
Default klamath forest estates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader313 View Post
My wife and I have bought 8 1/4 acres in Klamath Falls Forest Estates and plan to move there this year. We will initially be living in a self contained camper while we build "non-perminent" structures to live in. Our goal is to live like Daniel Boone, off the grid and out of the grocery store. We are coming from North Dakota, so cold and snow don't bother us. We will have farm animals enough for food and help around the place. We are and have been pretty self sufficient and we don't ask for much that we can't provide ourselves. This area is fairly close to Bly and Beatty, so we would like to get to know some folks in the area. Anyone in this area wanting to chat about our plans or get to know us is welcome. I hunt with flintlock longrifle and traditional bow and we both fish.

Thanks, and have a great day.
Homesteader313

Hey there,

So the rules in klamath county are kind of weird,but if you build under 200 sq ft structure you dont to go by building codes or have permits or inspections. You legally do need a well and septic,but i can tell you rarely ever do the county come out there. Once in a blue moon if called out there they may come. It is go at your own risk if going that route. I back in october 2014 bought 2.37 acres of bare land out there. This summer i am going to living there for 2 months in a 3 room tent. While spending my time hunting,fishing and doing work around my land. Like build a drive way, and general work around there. I currently live in portland (5 hour drive) away but have am hoping in a year or two once i am done with college that i will be living down there. I have been attracted to this way of life for a long and have meet a few nice people in sprague river so far. Everyone waves at everyone as you drive by which i like. Makes the area feel more personal and connected to every thing. I have only meet two people in town remotely close to my age(28) but being much younger then everyone else does not bother me. They just want the same life style i want. As far wells go in the area if you decide to get one,my self i am just going to use alot of 50 gallon drums,but they can cost you from 10k to 30k. Any where from 50ft to 300ft down.
There is alot i can say right now so if you have any questions just let me know,be glad to chat about anything.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,776 times
Smile Great info Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandjulie View Post
Thanks! I've done a lot of reading and have spoken with a number of planning people. I *think* I have a handle on the major issues and have planned for what could come up but we'll see! Septic is huge. Who knows, the land could perc at a wonderful rate and all could be well but with the amount of rock on the mountain, I want to be prepared. The Puraflo septic is a good solution for rock and I LOVE the relative simplicity.

Depending on how quickly I sell my home, I hope to move up to Oregon by June. I'll post updates!
I just got some property in Klamath Forest Estates. For a minute I was worried about the cost of a septic system and a well. Thanks for the lead on the Puraflo system. Hopefully I don't need a well to build because even rainfall is low in the area I'd rather drink that than well water any day considering all the farming that's done in the area.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,698 times
Default 100milemom

Quote:
I'm moving to Bonanza, Klamath Falls Forest Estates, and I've spoken with all of the Klamath County people. I haven't looked into the mobile home option because I really don't want to do that, but the only way you can live there in a non-permanent structure is if you are working on building a home and you have a building permit. The building permit is good for 6 months, but you don't have to worry as long as you're making progress.

They won't give you a building permit until you've had a site evaluation for septic, which includes test pits dug for the perc testing. Yeah, I'm aware that the land might reveal the need for the expensive sand filter septic, BUT ...

The state DOES allow you to install an approved alternative technology instead of the sand filter system. I researched all of the approved alternative systems and the one that is pretty darn simple but effective and can be sized to your use is a peat moss septic system called Puraflo. Basically, a septic tank is installed to separate the solids and the liquids then flow into a bin filled with special peat moss, which filters out the impurities and then discharges the clean water to gravel under the bin. It is much less expensive to install than the sand filter and takes up a LOT less land space, too. And the state approves it in lieu of the sand filter.

Probably TMI but septic can be the biggest headache for that area and it's the first hurdle in building. Once that's done, the rest isn't so bad. Please note that Klamath County is also rated D-1 for Earthquakes so structures have to meet Earthquake codes regarding foundations and wall bracing. It's not a huge deal -- mostly extra plates and special screws and things, from what I can tell and the type of foundations that are best. Snow load has to be at least 20 lbs. per foot, I believe.

I'm having a small cabin built. I'm trying to arrange things in stages so I won't actually move up there until the site evaluation and test pits are done, the building permit is issued, and the foundation is ready to be laid. The cabin itself is largely pre-fab but will be built according to code. It won't take long to build.

Hi....where did you purchase your property....which street?
I have a lot there too. They are finally opening it up for recreational use...for those of us that
aren't building yet.I'm planning to visit again this summer and do some backpacking in the surrounding area.
~~~ 100milemom

Old 05-04-2015, 07:52 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyrutledge86 View Post
Hey there,

So the rules in klamath county are kind of weird,but if you build under 200 sq ft structure you dont to go by building codes or have permits or inspections. You legally do need a well and septic,but i can tell you rarely ever do the county come out there. Once in a blue moon if called out there they may come. It is go at your own risk if going that route. I back in october 2014 bought 2.37 acres of bare land out there. This summer i am going to living there for 2 months in a 3 room tent. While spending my time hunting,fishing and doing work around my land. Like build a drive way, and general work around there. I currently live in portland (5 hour drive) away but have am hoping in a year or two once i am done with college that i will be living down there. I have been attracted to this way of life for a long and have meet a few nice people in sprague river so far. Everyone waves at everyone as you drive by which i like. Makes the area feel more personal and connected to every thing. I have only meet two people in town remotely close to my age(28) but being much younger then everyone else does not bother me. They just want the same life style i want. As far wells go in the area if you decide to get one,my self i am just going to use alot of 50 gallon drums,but they can cost you from 10k to 30k. Any where from 50ft to 300ft down.
There is alot i can say right now so if you have any questions just let me know,be glad to chat about anything.
I am not sure where you got your information but Klamath County requires compliance with the Oregon Residential Specialty Code. That code states that the only buildings that are exempt from the code are Accessory buildings such as tool sheds etc. that are no more than 120 Square feet. These are accessory buildings only and cannot be used as a residence.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:44 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
If you want to live in one room, the building code allows for Efficiency Dwelling Units. This is a link to the IBC, but the Oregon code is the same. Yes, you will need a permit.

Chapter 12 - Interior Environment

Old 05-18-2015, 01:34 PM

44 posts, read 52,534 times
I'm looking at 4.3 acres in KFFE as well.

Ideally looking to build a tiny house on the land but will initially start in a school bus conversion.

Will be using a composting toilet and french drain grey water system for irrigation.

So ready to leave rent behind! So much to learn per any area you look at though. Following this and other threads and hoping for updates from those of you who posted your recent purchases in the area.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100milemom View Post

Hi....where did you purchase your property....which street?
I have a lot there too. They are finally opening it up for recreational use...for those of us that
aren't building yet.I'm planning to visit again this summer and do some backpacking in the surrounding area.
~~~ 100milemom
Hi 100milemom!

Sorry, been away from the forum for a bit. Had to have stupid surgery and am now WAY behind on my moving timetable, grrr!

My land is on Boar Lane, off Blackbird. It abuts BLM. I heard about the Recreational Use change! Do you have any details on that? I was planning to do the camper thing while my cabin is being built and that was technically illegal previously until you had the permits in place but now I don't have to worry about it! Yay! Folks said that unless someone complained to the county, it wasn't a big issue but I don't like starting out on the wrong foot or having to look over my shoulder!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Rich View Post
I just got some property in Klamath Forest Estates. For a minute I was worried about the cost of a septic system and a well. Thanks for the lead on the Puraflo system. Hopefully I don't need a well to build because even rainfall is low in the area I'd rather drink that than well water any day considering all the farming that's done in the area.
Hi Eric!
No, you don't need a well to build. A cistern will do. What threw me in reading some of the regs, though, was in some cases they refer to a cistern as a well and it's not until you read further that you get that they include the non-drilling-into-the ground type of thing as a well, too.

I'd heard so many tales of woe concerning septic that I read everything I could get my hands on, spoke with some at Klamath County and even called the on-site division at the DEQ in Salem. There are a LOT of alternative methods of waste disposal on the market that would be great for a small cabin but the bottom line is that they're not yet approved in Oregon. The closest I could find is Puraflo so I have that, at least, if the tests reveal that a standard septic won't do.

I don't know what size place you're building but they calculate the size of the system by the number of bedrooms, primarily. Haha, I tried to plead my case for just a simple solar incinerating toilet and greywater filtration system because I'm not really going to have a real bedroom per se (I'm building a small open-concept cabin with a loft) but that didn't fly. The greywater system is actually a peat moss system like Puraflo but it's not on the DEQ's list of approved list of products you can use.

Speaking of which, the Oregon DEQ website has a wealth of information. There's a list of products that the state allows you to use when building. If it's not on the list, apparently you can't use it. You can, I believe, submit a product for the DEQ to review for approval or perhaps ask the company that produces something you're interested in using to submit it for approval. That takes some time, though.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 19,329 times
Smile Much mis-information here about KFFE Unit 4

Quote:
Hi Eric!
No, you don't need a well to build. A cistern will do. What threw me in reading some of the regs, though, was in some cases they refer to a cistern as a well and it's not until you read further that you get that they include the non-drilling-into-the ground type of thing as a well, too.

I'd heard so many tales of woe concerning septic that I read everything I could get my hands on, spoke with some at Klamath County and even called the on-site division at the DEQ in Salem. There are a LOT of alternative methods of waste disposal on the market that would be great for a small cabin but the bottom line is that they're not yet approved in Oregon. The closest I could find is Puraflo so I have that, at least, if the tests reveal that a standard septic won't do.

I don't know what size place you're building but they calculate the size of the system by the number of bedrooms, primarily. Haha, I tried to plead my case for just a simple solar incinerating toilet and greywater filtration system because I'm not really going to have a real bedroom per se (I'm building a small open-concept cabin with a loft) but that didn't fly. The greywater system is actually a peat moss system like Puraflo but it's not on the DEQ's list of approved list of products you can use.

Speaking of which, the Oregon DEQ website has a wealth of information. There's a list of products that the state allows you to use when building. If it's not on the list, apparently you can't use it. You can, I believe, submit a product for the DEQ to review for approval or perhaps ask the company that produces something you're interested in using to submit it for approval. That takes some time, though.
There is way too much information about KFFE Unit 4 here that is not correct.

First state building codes and state DEQ do not play into account in Klamath County. ANY building must be built to code even if it is under 220 square feet. The county charges $3.75 per sq. ft. for a building permit with 1000 sq. ft. minimum. This does not mean that you have to build at least 1000 sq. ft., but sets the minimum price of the permit at $3750 just for the building permit.

Second, as of this date you must have a well or at least 6000 gallon storage tank for water. The biggest issue here is where are you going to get the water. Unit 4 does not have a community well, only unit 1 and they restrict usage to people who have a legal dwelling in unit 1. Water is next to non-existence and wells hit from 130' to 900' (the community well in unit 1is 900') with an average of 500+.

Third, you can use any of the DEQ approved waste disposal systems, but the county requires you have a septic system installed still. The size of septic is a minimum of 375 foot drain field and a 1000 gallon tank if you are lucky enough to get approved for a standard system.

Forth, you are now allowed to camp on your property while building, but you must have a building permit in place and pay a $450 permit fee per year to do so. Yes there are a lot of people living here in campers and the code enforcement department won't come out to inspect unless a complaint is filed. Be aware that there are residents that will report you if you are a problem or dumping waste on ground, me being one of them.

Bottom line, call the Klamath County planning department for all your information needs as they are the only ones that will tell you exactly what you need. Be sure to ask lots of questions because they will not volunteer all information needed, as this is how the county makes the funds they need. Be prepared to spend at least $$$$$ in fees to develop your property. Don't believe what you read on this forum, contact the county to get the true answers.

I have owned property here for 12 years and have lived in unit 4 for 8 years and have had to deal with the county building our house. Be prepared for lots of hassle getting contractors out here to perform the work (I had to bring mine down from Bend to get the work done), as this area has a horrible reputation with old hells angels gang members, meth heads cooking, and 3 murders in the last 2 years alone, in a community that has just 35 legal residences in the combined units. Just last week a cabin of a friend that comes out in the summer was broken into and anything of value was taken and the rest totally destroyed. Law enforcement is 45 minutes away and they will only come out for major problems (unless you happen to be friends with them ).Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful place to live, but you need to be aware of all the issues that go with living here. Definitely not the place for the weak of heart or timid. And lastly YES, do carry a firearm for your own protection. Can't tell you how many times people have been threatened to be shot. Don't take my word, call the Sheriff's office and ask them about the area. It will make your head spin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon