Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 01:27 AM

198 posts, read 341,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Good point. Rubber breaks down quickly. I treat my tractor tires with protectant and keep my travel trailer tires covered to keep the sun from killing them. Car tires usually don't last long enough for it to be an issue.
I'm guessing a vehicle shelter would be a good investment?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 01:14 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,755,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandjulie View Post
Thanks! I'm looking forward to the trees/shade. The mid to back part of my land is quite wooded. I'm in the south plains now, with pathetic trees, and not many of them.

So an asphalt/blacktop driveway would be a super-bad idea, then, I'm guessing?
Your driveway will likely be packed gravel - asphalt is very expensive and maintenance-heavy out there.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:54 PM

400 posts, read 412,211 times
And in the winter water freezes on it and you can't get up the hill.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Your driveway will likely be packed gravel - asphalt is very expensive and maintenance-heavy out there.
Yeah, I was looking around Craig's List yesterday and saw a quarry had a listing! It appears that it's on the other side of Bly Mtn. from me. They deliver, so that's cool.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:58 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,755,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandjulie View Post
Yeah, I was looking around Craig's List yesterday and saw a quarry had a listing! It appears that it's on the other side of Bly Mtn. from me. They deliver, so that's cool.
You need to have a driveway actually built, not just have gravel dumped - generally they grade the driveway area, giving it a slight crown then spread "pit run" to make a base, the base gets compacted and then 3/4 minus put over. Otherwise you tend to get potholes fast.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
You need to have a driveway actually built, not just have gravel dumped - generally they grade the driveway area, giving it a slight crown then spread "pit run" to make a base, the base gets compacted and then 3/4 minus put over. Otherwise you tend to get potholes fast.
Oh, yes. I was reading that they have to take into account drainage and such, too. I was just glad to see that the materials are available for delivery nearby. Everything else is coming "a-ways."

Old 08-26-2015, 10:51 PM

7 posts, read 10,817 times
Default Good info.

Im a truck driver and purchased a lot on Kodiak Lane. I got an estimate of 60,000 for a well for 900 feet plus. Im hoping for less. I will be coming out in the fall. We plan on renting as close as we can and start my project with the hopes of retiring up there in ten years. It sounds challenging but anything good in life always is.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,753 times
Default Klamath County

Anyone on here live in Klamath County? We bought property and have already spoken to the building office. Just wandering if we move our camper ever few days off the property, would that cover the amount of time we can live in it? Also we are building a smaller home would we have to have the septic tank in place before we can obtain a building permit? The property we bought is located north of Bonanza and outside the cities urban growth boundaries.

Last edited by Brandon Coker; 10-27-2015 at 08:08 AM..

Old 10-27-2015, 11:49 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,592,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Coker View Post
Anyone on here live in Klamath County? We bought property and have already spoken to the building office. Just wandering if we move our camper ever few days off the property, would that cover the amount of time we can live in it? Also we are building a smaller home would we have to have the septic tank in place before we can obtain a building permit? The property we bought is located north of Bonanza and outside the cities urban growth boundaries.
No, hauling it into town to empty the holding tank won't count. It won't make a big difference, because it will freeze solid in the winter and won't be habitable anyway. From the end of November to the end of February, you will have to find someplace else to live. Be sure to empty the tanks and fill the lines with antifreeze in the late fall.

Talk to the planning and building departments at the county to get your information. None of us work there, so what we say wouldn't mean anything. Are you sure you can get a building permit at all?

Old 10-27-2015, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,753 times
I was told I can get a permit. I even spoke to the building inspector. I told them i was going to buy a building from lowes/home depot and put it up there. The building department told me as long as it had footers below the 24inch frost line and would pass code i could use it. He did inform me, that I would have to upgrade the walls to 2x6, and rafters to 2x8 due to the insulation code and snow per square foot. I am just worried about the septic tank and cost. I was told by the office that I could haul water and that it didn't have to have a well. He said I would have to haul it and that was it. So I am crossing my fingers and will have to go by the codes. One good thing is the inspector said if I had questions before doing something to go ahead and call him and he would help on the code part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon