Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Bend has a large African American population and is a very open community.
Um... try NOT!
Bend is, unfortunately, pretty 'pale' on the diversity scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 12:31 AM

5 posts, read 24,410 times
To be serious, unfortunately Bend (as well as many towns in Oregon) do not have much racial diversity. I remember when we moved to Oregon ( I was 8) from So Cal, I was wondering why everyone was so white? (I am white, but never gave a thought to race since i was around all colors of people until then).
Bend used to be a small redneck cowboy town/ski destination (LOL) but now it is very "trendy" (but you still have the rednecks mixed in). Redmond is less desireable for the reasons another poster relayed.
Bend is a wonderful place to visit, but much too cold and expensive for me. It's fun to go for a weekend and eat at some great restaurants and take in the sights.
And the 300 plus day of sunshine a year is what we were told too...but it's not true.

Last edited by Waterlily; 02-16-2007 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Negative

Old 02-16-2007, 01:19 AM

14 posts, read 51,875 times
My husband and I moved to Bend from the Cincinnati area about 1-1/2 yrs ago. We love it here, but it is quite expensive. Most of the newcomers are from California. I have seen probably 5 African American's the entire time I have been here. This is a very friendly town... service people in restaurants, stores, grocery stores - everyone is very helpful and friendly. It is colder in the winter than I had expected, but pretty sunny. You can see the snow-covered mountains from the city. The downtown is very quaint with botiques, nice restaurants, outside markets in the summer - connected to Drake Park with the scenic Deschutes River running thru it. Lots of walking and biking paths. Snowmobiling/skiing 1/2 hr away.
I live on the NE side of Bend - The West side is a LOT more expensive. I have a problem with the very small sized lots that they are building new houses on. If you want a new house 2000 sf with decent size lot on the west side it would be 1 mil +. Average newer size 1600 sf house in rest of Bend is about $350,000. Redmond does have more "rednecks" and just doesn't have the "character" of Bend... houses are a little less in Redmond. They have a good hospital with great drs/dentists. They do need more shopping and restaurants. My husband misses sports.... there is a big community college here - no 4-yr college. The closest big city is Portland which is a 3-hr drive over the mountains, which can be tricky in the winter. The job market can be tricky also - lots of home construction jobs, but not too much else. A lot of people complain that Bend is getting too big and traffic is horrible, but coming from a bigger city like Cincinnati I just laugh.... in rush hour it may take you 3 minutes longer to get home!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,107 times
Default Any Call Centers in Bend

My family & I currently live on the Oregon Coast. My family is trying to talk me into entertaining the idea of moving to Bend. I am a Supervisor at a large in-bound call center and given my experience I would prefer to stay with that industry. I heard a rumor of an AOL call center in Bend. Can anyone confirm if there are any call centers in the Bend or Redmond areas? I would appreciate it if someone could share the call centers, their names, and possibly if you are aware if they are hiring management staff. I will continue to monitor this forum for any new postings.

Last edited by Waterlily; 02-19-2007 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: No e-mails

Old 04-01-2007, 06:32 PM

5 posts, read 12,732 times
Default African-Americans in Bend???

We've lived here since 1999 and I can tell you that Bend primarily White. The next predominant skin color is Brown, which is continually growing. I bet I've only seen 10 Blacks here in nearly 8 years.

If this is important to you............check it out more thoroughly. Bend is not very diverse concerning this matter.

I've not heard anyone in Bend, even talk about this.

Best of luck.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,703 times
Redmond has services but not much class. Downtown is nice looking but businesses change out often. Traffic is a nightmare...although they are planning a HWY 97 reroute around town. Bend is classier but expensive. I think its a llittle too ritzy for simple me. If you like golfing, skiing, biking and spending lots of money, Bend is great. If you want affordable, go somewhere else. All in all, I think Bend is nice to visit on a vacation but living here (if you are just working class) stinks because you can't afford to be a homeowner AND do the fun things. Also, winter is long and when summer finally gets here it is full of smoke and dust.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,665 times
Where east of Park City? And do you still feel the same way about Park City vs Bend currently?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:23 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times
I like Bend!!!!

Awesome natural setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon