Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:39 AM

46 posts, read 199,987 times

Advertisements

Everybody is flooding to Bend Oregon. What is it? "GOLD"
I think it is a beautiful place for certain kind of people. Hot and
cold and you better have $$$$! So, my question is, why is everybody
in a big rush to get there? Are there any locals out there that could comment?
Thanks,
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 12:31 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
- well, my folks are in the process of moving there right now. They have loved Bend for as long as I can remember. My mom says she loves the weather, how it just always seems more "crisp" there, that yes, it does rain, but not the constant soggy rain that can be Portland area (where they are moving from) - the scenery is incredible. I have to admit that one! (i live onthe beach, so Im partial to that lol) She loves the clear cut seasons, how the winter is sooooo cold, but the snow is great. (ya, they ski. lol) the summers are good and hot, but not unbearable, and besides, theres lakes/rivers/streams all over if ya wanna cool off. - She likes the "open feeling" throughout Bend, and the wide range of services they now have there. I dunno, to her, its kinda like camping for life. lol - personally, i dont get that, I HATE camping but each to their own.
Tiffany

Old 11-06-2006, 01:06 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
I'm a Coast Dweller and drive through Bend and occassionally just visit there but I really wouldn't want to live there for a few reasons: the temperatures are to the extremes (cold in winter/hot in summer but then again that's probably why the golfers/snowboarders like that area), fire season over there is too smokey for me, the traffic flow through the City of Bend is too congested, the paint colors on the cars and buildings over there looked so sand-blasted and harsh, and last but not least, one of those Sisters Mountains (I think it's Mt. Bachelor) is noticely bulging and being monitored as in 'ready to blow'.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 11,857 times
Default Bend has it all

I personaly love Bend, but then I am not adverse to the weather changes, in fact I love it... and it gives us something differant to do each season, ski, raft, mountian bike... Bend has great restruants {28 and Staccato are two of my favorites} and the best shopping in ORegon {personaly I spend most of my time in Hot Box Betty, UrbanMinx and Habit}All my favorite palces are located on Oregon St. If you want to know why people love bend visit for a weekend and see for yourself. But do not expet a big city, with trafffic jams and pollution - there are fires occasioinaly but not every year and not all fires blow in the direction of bend

Old 11-06-2006, 07:14 PM

46 posts, read 199,987 times
Samantha P
Thank you for your reply- Nice to find someone who (likes) Bend and willing to talk about Bend

Do you know anything about the Northeast side of Bend. Is this a good neiborhood. What high school, middle, and grade school would you recomend.
Have you ever been to the Eugene area? What is the weather like in Bend compared to Eugene. I heard Bend get's 300 day's of sunshine a year. But then someone elce said that it isn't true ?
I have alot more Questions? Can I ask.....

Old 11-07-2006, 04:26 AM

3 posts, read 24,784 times
Bend is the closest thing Oregon has to a Colorado/California ski town, albeit the mountain is nine miles away. But anyway, it has good weather, outdoor activities out the wazoo, lots of golf courses so I hear, and is located in a very scenic part of the state. A note on the Oregon weather in general, if you live on the coast or west of the cascades, pretty much expect uniform weather, ie, hot summer days, cool summer nights, nice falls, and wet grey winters and wet grey spring. Summer doesn't officially start till July!! East of the cascades, its noticably more dry year round but expect cooler winter temps due to a higher elevation. Ever been to Denver in the winter when its sunny and 50? Bend gets like that too.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,309 times
Hi, I lived in Redmond (north of Bend by 16 miles, at least it was when I lived there) for 5 years. The temperatures are hot and cold. Hot is no higher than 95F in the summer but the nights get down to 50-55 so sleeping is very comfortable. Cold is down into the teens and colder. Problem is, it gets cold (below freezing at night) in the middle of September and doesn't warm up (above freezing at night) until the middle of June. It stays too cold for too long for me. Whoever mentioned 300 days of sunshine was not far wrong if at all and during my time there, we averaged 11-13 inches of rain per year. Wonderfully dry and beautiful scenery (sp?). Love the desert but could not stand the length of winter.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxsixpack View Post
Everybody is flooding to Bend Oregon. What is it? "GOLD"
I think it is a beautiful place for certain kind of people. Hot and
cold and you better have $$$$! So, my question is, why is everybody
in a big rush to get there? Are there any locals out there that could comment?
Thanks,
Scott
Bottom line is that it doesn't rain much, and you get lots of sunshine.
Even though it gets cold, people are willing to put up with it. Yes you'll need to bring lots of money...I think Ken and Barbie used to live in Bend, but they moved to Sisters Or.
David

Old 11-15-2006, 02:16 PM

252 posts, read 1,127,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyherron View Post
Hi, I lived in Redmond (north of Bend by 16 miles, at least it was when I lived there) for 5 years. The temperatures are hot and cold. Hot is no higher than 95F in the summer but the nights get down to 50-55 so sleeping is very comfortable. Cold is down into the teens and colder. Problem is, it gets cold (below freezing at night) in the middle of September and doesn't warm up (above freezing at night) until the middle of June. It stays too cold for too long for me. Whoever mentioned 300 days of sunshine was not far wrong if at all and during my time there, we averaged 11-13 inches of rain per year. Wonderfully dry and beautiful scenery (sp?). Love the desert but could not stand the length of winter.
Is there a reason why Redmond is so much cheaper that Bend? From an outsiders pt of view, they look almost the same. Could it be Redmond is flatter than Bend? Or is it that its 16 miles closer to the resorts?

Also, is there a college or univ in that area?

thanks!

Old 11-15-2006, 02:48 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,214 times
Hi SNB3:

All Universities in Oregon can be found here:

http://www.stateoforegon.com/schools.html

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon