Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:13 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,456,202 times

Advertisements

The community culture of Salem is very different from that in Eugene or Portland. I haven't lived in Corvallis but wouldn't expect that town to be similar to Salem either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 11:23 PM

43 posts, read 45,147 times
Eugene and Portland are now like California; definitely ruined. all the individuality of Eugene is GONE, and we have all these "rich organic hippies" from California. Plus, like California, the Valley of Willamette has major drought, and Oregon cannot get enough rain to grow its own crops anymore. All the charm of Eugene and smaller towns is pretty much gone. We've been invaded so much by California and back East and New York City, it's more like THOSE PLACES, then Oregon.

I also was expecting nice green weather here, and now all we get is dry drought. It's a huge disappointment. Plus, the job market is pretty much very poor, and the only jobs are very low paid unless you work for the University of Oregon. All lumber industry is gone. That is, all the jobs. Plus, we have thousands and thousands of homeless, living everywhere, stealing all the bicycles, and they are on welfare, Medicaid, food stamps, and anything they can get. You see them everywhere. The CRIME is bad, plus the taxes are all up, and the cost of living is way up. I get sick and tired of all the major traffic jams in Eugene, plus all the freeway systems.

It's very very disappointing to come back here, and see that all the problems of Los Angeles and back East New York have all moved here. Everybody says how great the "community" is here, but it's pretty much the community of Californians and New Yorkers and people from back east and other states. The political haranguing, constant discord, fighting and government local corruption is probably worse than it used to be. It doesn't matter that is very liberal, it's that way anyhow.

For example, the mayor of Eugene just had a ton of old 50-year-old trees uprooted and cut down, just because she wanted to get $1 million grant from the federal government, to put in a massive bus system just for downtown, that we don't need.so forget environmentalism, it's actually so phony, that you could call us a "cut all the trees down –" state.the much touted environmentalism here is pretty PHONY. It's not really a pro-environmentalism area. That's a big joke.

to tell the truth, me and my mate are looking for another state to move to, that doesn't have all these modern problems, huge high taxes and high cost of living, crime, and all the Californians and back easterners. We wouldn't even mind a very cold freezing state, because at least the Californians wouldn't like that.as for the much touted "community", we are really tired of all the discord and fighting here. Ditto, the traffic jams, smog, and freeway systems. Anybody who knows a very primitive state, much lower cost of living and lower taxes, let us know. We don't even care that it has freezing cold weather snow, etc. We don't expect Hawaii.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:48 AM

Take a look at Idaho then.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:34 AM

308 posts, read 405,242 times
I would like to suggest a small town that is, nevertheless, not far from Salem, and has lots of trendy shops, antique stores, good restaurants, and beautiful scenery and old architecture that has been kept up well by the owners.

Silverton.

It may not be big enough for you, but it is basically a bedroom commuter community for Salem, and one of the prettiest towns in that area of the state, imho, with more to attract people than its small size would indicate. Silver Falls State Park is very close. The people are interesting and intelligent, from what I've seen (including its cross-dressing, transgender mayor :-) ). The architecture is nice (Think Victorian and the Arts & Crafts era/movement). It IS predominantly white and upper middle class, but although it has an air of "snobbishness" in the shops you can find there, the people are anything but. If you can afford the real estate, there, it might be worth checking out, since even if you couldn't find a decent job with your skills in Silverton, proper, Salem is only a short drive away (15 miles).

Old 04-15-2015, 02:47 AM

50 posts, read 62,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Dallas000 View Post
to tell the truth, me and my mate are looking for another state to move to, that doesn't have all these modern problems, huge high taxes and high cost of living, crime, and all the Californians and back easterners. We wouldn't even mind a very cold freezing state, because at least the Californians wouldn't like that.as for the much touted "community", we are really tired of all the discord and fighting here. Ditto, the traffic jams, smog, and freeway systems. Anybody who knows a very primitive state, much lower cost of living and lower taxes, let us know. We don't even care that it has freezing cold weather snow, etc. We don't expect Hawaii.
I would recommend North Dakota, or possibly South Dakota or Minnesota. Grand Forks, ND is a small-ish town, healthy economy... Fargo is bigger and a booming economy, lots of growth. I like Grand Forks more because it's small enough to have a good sense of community (I lived there and didn't own a car... walked everywhere, year-round). There is state and sales tax, but they are low. There is constant out-migration because people don't like winter lasting from November (first freeze is usually around or before Halloween) through Mid-May (Spring always coincided with college graduation... though one year it snowed shortly before, so around May 12th - 17th). Coldest it got for me was -43F without windchill factored in. I took a walk that day and took pictures around the deserted campus--they didn't cancel classes, but no professors went & no students either. Summers are 70-80s, sometimes 90s, very humid compared to west coast, but not as humid as East Coast. Anyhow, if you want a very not-California place, Grand Forks, ND. Also, North Dakota consistently ranks near the top for Happiest Places in America. If it weren't for the cold, the northern latitude (shorter days in winter), the flatness (it's in a nine foot valley), and the near-complete lack of hiking, I'd move there! (and if you can't hack it in North Dakota, Minnesota might do for ya)

Old 04-17-2015, 09:36 PM

517 posts, read 1,045,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wndy View Post
I would recommend North Dakota, or possibly South Dakota or Minnesota. Grand Forks, ND is a small-ish town, healthy economy... Fargo is bigger and a booming economy, lots of growth. I like Grand Forks more because it's small enough to have a good sense of community (I lived there and didn't own a car... walked everywhere, year-round). There is state and sales tax, but they are low. There is constant out-migration because people don't like winter lasting from November (first freeze is usually around or before Halloween) through Mid-May (Spring always coincided with college graduation... though one year it snowed shortly before, so around May 12th - 17th). Coldest it got for me was -43F without windchill factored in. I took a walk that day and took pictures around the deserted campus--they didn't cancel classes, but no professors went & no students either. Summers are 70-80s, sometimes 90s, very humid compared to west coast, but not as humid as East Coast. Anyhow, if you want a very not-California place, Grand Forks, ND. Also, North Dakota consistently ranks near the top for Happiest Places in America. If it weren't for the cold, the northern latitude (shorter days in winter), the flatness (it's in a nine foot valley), and the near-complete lack of hiking, I'd move there! (and if you can't hack it in North Dakota, Minnesota might do for ya)
Actually, I like Fargo a lot, it has a progressive feel to it, but with the Minnesota nice culture. On the other hand Bismarck has pretty terrain with the huge Missouri River valley and hills to the west of Bismarck.

But, having said that, if one didn't find the taxes in Minnesota too high, Duluth is one of the nicest places I have seen. While it doesn't have the absolute beauty of the west coast, or the hustle of the east coast, or the snow less winters of the Gulf coast, it does have very nice people, beautiful state parks, a walkable downtown with indoor walkways, a low cost of living and decent job market.

I think it is no colder than Fargo, probably more damp, but less windy, so it is probably a wash. If it were in my career path, I would be campaigning to spend a few years there.

By the way, I am hanging out here because my job might take me to Portland or Corvalis. However, I will try to get it shifted to Tacoma if I can.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 04-17-2015, 09:56 PM

Tacoma wouldn't be my choice, all things being equal (pay, family connections).

Old 04-17-2015, 11:37 PM

517 posts, read 1,045,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Tacoma wouldn't be my choice, all things being equal (pay, family connections).
One thing I would like to do before I get too old is live on a boat.

The marina in downtown Tacoma has live aboard boat slips and a pretty decent community. Also, depending on how the job would work out, I may be able to telecommute several days per week. Except the days I would need to fly.

Cheers
Qazulight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon