U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:26 PM

36 posts, read 73,914 times

Advertisements

I am a Marine Technician/Mechanic who is thinking of moving to Oregon, Columbia Gorge to be precise. I know that windsurfing is big, but how about sailboats? If so where in the Gorge? Any Marinas I could contact?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:57 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,976,689 times
Closest for serious sailing is Tomahawk Marina (Hayden Island) I-5 and Columbia River < 50 miles down river.

There are a few boats in HR and some in Washougal, but service centers are in Portland.

The Puget Sound has a zillion marinas, and Port Townsend is probably the nicest spot on the 'main-land'.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:28 AM

170 posts, read 732,132 times
i wonder how shop owners and orchard farmers can afford $500,000+ homes. The real estate prices seem ridiculous.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:47 AM

177 posts, read 672,723 times
I don't know about the shop owners, but the orchardists probably inheireted the land from their parents, etc. down through the generations. Most of them are family owned and operated and have been for several generations.

It's great to be able to go buy fresh picked fruit right from the guy who owns the trees. There are a lot of fruit stands in the Parkdale/Odell area. Depending on the time of year, you can get cherries, apples, pears, etc.

For Fun: Visit Rasmussen farms(south of Hood River on highway 35) in the fall, their pumpkin patch is awesome! They have a corn maze, a HUGE field to pick your pumpkins from, apple cider,fresh picked apples, etc. It's family owned and a great place to spend a saturday in October.

To answer boatguy's question, try the port of Hood River.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:02 AM

310 posts, read 879,187 times
Hood River is one of my favorite places in the country. My friend Jim lives there and I try to visit him at least once a year, skied Mt. Hood with him a week and a half ago. Summer time in Hood River is amazing.

House prices are out of control though, my friend Jim's lot cost him $200,000 alone and its a little more than an 1/8th of an acre.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:06 AM

2,885 posts, read 223,451 times
The ice would bother me; I'd have a summer home if I could

Old 01-16-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
The ice would bother me; I'd have a summer home if I could
Probably less than 5 days / winter of ice, weather is quite predictable (close to coast) so you have a few days to plan. You can run out to the coast and enjoy a stiff winter blow from your fireplace oceanfront room, or jet to AZ or MX or SO CA

Winter snows MIGHT stick around a few days, but generally not a week. Probably ~ 5 days / month light snow, 10 days / month rain in winter. (best guess, mileage may vary)

Prices are out of control, and fueled by out of towner's or folks bringing money. Some of the locals have been able to ratchet up by selling and buying a bargain (I noticed a few bargains last night in most current listings). But low cost of living may be past history in HR and valley.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:15 PM

170 posts, read 732,132 times
Is there a low supply of land or something?? It looks like Hood River is in the middle of no where, which is why i'm so confused about the land being so expensive.

It's not like Manhatten or San Fran where there is no where left to build and everyone in the world wants to live there.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:22 AM

land restrictions for HR area (Narrow Valley, with BIG river on one side = land lock)
1) Lots of National Forest on three sides (public lands, not available to private ownership)
2) Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area surrounding HR - (very restrictive to growth, in most cases IMPOSSIBLE, can't split property, must only build on original footprint, or out of site of vistas (much worse on WA side, as Friends of Gorge habitate in OR for the most part; and watch WA with binoculars
3) High Taxes in neighboring county (Wasco + WA state too) makes HR county more desirable (only place with significant jobs in county)
4) Extensive rain and wind increase as you head west towards Cascade Locks, so folks are jammed into a narrow HR valley
5) Trendy and desirable area, similar to Jackson, WY, Aspen / Vail / Crested Butte CO, Sun Valley, ID, Park City, UT, Whitefish, MT... We got to watch all those places become unreachable to anyone but the wealthy during the last 30 yrs. + HR has winter and summer sports, and is less than an hour from PDX airport and 2 hrs to the coast (which none of the above have access to)

As our society drifts to 2 class, as most of the rest of the world, this will get worse for those who worry about money (that is most of us...) Too bad we (USA) chose to embrace the 'service' economy instead of actually producing products of material value, that is gonna bite the following generations BIG TIME, as we have little or nothing to barter with as a nation.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:12 PM

137 posts, read 392,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatguy View Post
What is the gorge like? Jobs, housing weather? What is winter in Hood River?
We were out there in September and it was beathtaking...I mean I absolutely fell in love...with every part I was lucky enough to visit in Oregon. The gorge/Mt. Hood were the last things we visited before we left and I couldn't believe the beauty! What I wouldn't give to leave FL behind and live in Oregon! Give me the rain....for now I'd trade this humidity and sunshine for what has to be the most beautiful place God ever created!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon