Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:26 AM

36 posts, read 106,647 times

Advertisements

What is the gorge like? Jobs, housing weather? What is winter in Hood River?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 01:26 PM

177 posts, read 966,905 times
The Gorge is: 1. Beautiful 2. WINDY (especially Hood River, it is "the windsurfing capital of the world"). There are not a lot of high paying jobs in the gorge unless you have a degree and a skill (nurse, doctor, lawyer,etc.). House prices have gone up quite a bit in the last few years, so it depends on how much you can afford. The weather, well earlier this week there was 9" of snow on the ground. It usually doesn't stick around too long though. The Gorge usually doesn't get snow that stays all winter. It snows, sometimes the roads freeze over and make things slick (usually only a day or two) and then the sun comes out and melts it all away. It is definitely less rainy on the eastern side of the mountain (Hood River and east). It's right along the Columbia River so you can windsurf, go boating, etc. It's also close to Mt. Hood for skiing in the winter. I recommend, if you can, planning a trip to the gorge/Hood River before moving.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:40 PM

23 posts, read 90,197 times
Wink Gorge Winters....be prepared!

I used to live on the Washington side of the Columbia Gorge. Gorge weather is beautiful in the spring, summer & fall, but the winters can be snowy (lots), icy (always) and WET! Snow here is deep and slushy (just before it freezes). Not the kind of dry, playful snow in central Oregon. This is the kind that snows and then warms up enough to melt it slightly, and then freezes a crust on it each night. Black ice underneath....etc. Anyway, as long as you know that going in you won't be surprised. Some winters are worse then others and some aren't bad at all. In the 14 years I lived there we had only one winter where it snowed six feet, no groceries could reach the market for a few days, and I lost my two year old son for a few seconds when he stepped off the edge of our deck and disappeared! Fun for him, not for MOM!

Old 01-12-2008, 01:48 AM

18 posts, read 107,605 times
The Gorge is awesome! We are die hard windsurfers and snowboarders, so it is pretty much Utopia for us We live in Portland though, so we have to drive over...not a bad drive though, about 30-40 min. It's absolutely gorgeous. Mt. Hood is great little town...fairly tourist oriented as it's the gateway to Mt Hood and the Gorge, but I've always enjoyed spending time there. And like the others said, it gets a lot more snow and ice and roads get sketchy...but if you're used to driving in such conditions and drive carefully, it's no problem.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:06 PM

170 posts, read 981,742 times
I want to live in hood river to snowboard and kitesurf but finding a job that pays is impossible!

I'm a carpenter/painter and have a degree in recording arts. I've been looking for home building jobs with little luck. anyone have any advice?

Old 01-13-2008, 12:22 AM

18 posts, read 107,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
I want to live in hood river to snowboard and kitesurf but finding a job that pays is impossible!

I'm a carpenter/painter and have a degree in recording arts. I've been looking for home building jobs with little luck. anyone have any advice?
You'd prolly have better luck finding work in the PDX area. However, a lot of labor jobs around here are union...so if you aren't opposed to being in the union, look into it. Of course, there's definitely non-union too. PDX is really close too.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:40 AM

36 posts, read 106,647 times
Default Pdx

This is a stupid question. What is PDX?

Old 01-13-2008, 12:31 PM

170 posts, read 981,742 times
I think PDX is Portland. I'd rather just live somewhere else and vacation to the gorge. I couldn't take living under a rain cloud for 3/4 of my life, no offense

Old 01-14-2008, 11:38 AM

42 posts, read 191,411 times
PDX is the Portland airport.

Hood River is one of my favorite places!!! I am a Willamette Valley girl at heart, so I don't mind the drive. I only make the drive in the summer to windsurf. I have heard the winters can be a little tricky, with the snow, ice, and blowing wind. Great place to spend the spring, summer, and fall!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 PM

177 posts, read 966,905 times
Quote:
I have heard the winters can be a little tricky, with the snow, ice, and blowing wind.
It's windy all year round, and you get used to the snow, it's not as bad as it used to be. It's not like the northeast where they get FEET of snow most years. It usually snows, but not so much that you get snow bound and can't get out to work, stores, etc. They have this great invention called "sand" and they sand the roads and most people have chains or studded tires, so it's not like in western oregon where we get a skiff of snow and everything shuts down. It's a beautiful area, unfortunately there are not many "family wage" jobs there. Most of the businesses are tourist places (restuarants, coffee shops, hotels, windsurfing shops, etc.)and fruit orchards. The hospital is probably the biggest employer in Hood River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon