Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 12:28 AM

3 posts, read 8,142 times

Advertisements

Hello,
This is my first post here but have been reading all I can about the best areas for family around Portland. I'm hoping to get some advice on a move from Hillsboro to either Tigard, Tualatin, or Sherwood. Our top priority is schools as we have 1 Kindergartner and a 3 year old. This is the main reason for the move, second would be that nice community feel that we just don't get living in Hillsboro. It just doesn't feel like home here.

We will still have to commute to Jones Farm so I'm hoping for a commute of 40 mins and under. I have heard great things about Sherwood and this is my number 1 pick so far, but I'd love someone to convince me further!

At this point we would sacrifice a long commute and a high-ish (to us) home price 330-350k for the great school that our kids can really thrive at, plus that fantastic community feel.

Hopefully I can hear from people who live in Sherwood, Tigard and Tualatin and tell me, what is it like living in these areas? Do the areas have plenty of parks and nature areas? Is there ample shopping available in these places and if not in Sherwood how far do I have to go for some shopping?

Have I left something important out to base my decision off of? Please let me know!

Thanks!
Sweep Me Away

Last edited by SweepMeAway; 03-19-2015 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: Trying to move this to Portland Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 12:30 AM

3 posts, read 8,142 times
Woops, I believe I posted this in the wrong forum, can a moderator move this to Portland forum?
Thanks

Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,584,472 times
Plenty of shopping in the Sherwood-W'ville-Tigard triangle, and you can cut over to Tualatin without needing to mess with 99 which is a plus.

I'd pick Sherwood of the 3, personally, but just be aware you're really pushing towards the outer limit of your desired commute time. From Sherwood it's viable to go the back way rather than messing with 217/26, but your minimum travel time is going to be about 32 min on a completely open road from the north end of town.

Add a few minutes for however far south/east you'd be living in Sherwood, plus an assumption of the occasional bad stoplight day and minor congestion once you hit Hillsboro, and days at 40 and even the occasional day over door-to-door probably won't be uncommon. I haven't done that as a commute, but on weekends you can get farm equipment out on the road.

But whether you go up River road or 219, stretches of both those roads are very pretty. And I'd rather be stuck behind farm equipment on 219 for 2 minutes [before being able to pass] than sitting in a standstill on 26.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 7,599 times
First, all are nice areas. I live in Sherwood and personally find this the better place to live out of the 3. However, you can't go wrong with any. My wife works in Hillsboro and I work at Nike in Beaverton, back roads take me 25 minutes to Nike and it takes her 30-35 minutes to Hillsboro.

Community is a massive reason we picked Sherwood, schools are very good and the city is very community family focused. Most people who live here love it. Prices are high now though. Most 2,000 sq foot houses are going at a 400k minimum now.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon