Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 10:42 AM

12 posts, read 18,750 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move back to the coast someday, and are thinking of anywhere north of Tillamook. We're aiming for north coast mostly do to proximity to Portland and the airport.
I guess that leaves Seaside, Warrenton, Astoria, and the other little towns in between.

My husband and I both grew up in different Oregon coast towns, so we know what it's all about. We also know that you can't just move there and hope to find a job. We wouldn't move until one was secured. My husband is a computer programmer. With that said, we haven't spent much time on the coast for about 12 years, so I'm asking because maybe some areas have changed....and we didn't live on the north coast so we're not super familiar with it.

We like good ethnic food, coffee shops, good school options, natural food stores, liberal/progressive/educated people. I know that there is no where on the coast that can compare to the other places we've lived in terms of those options (Bend, Eugene, Portland) but for someone who likes those things, which town/area on the north coast do you think we'd like/tolerate the most?

We want to move back to the coast because we miss the natural beauty, the beach, the air, and we want a bigger house with land that we can afford. It will just always feel like home to us. We loved growing up there and we think our 5 year old will too.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 10:00 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Housing and water (yes water) are in short supply these days. Make a list of everything you thought was bad 12 years ago and figure it is much worse now.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:29 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,450 times
I would be very surprised if there was a single computer programming job on the North Coast. I assume your husband has a telecommuting job lined up and you will be the only one that needs to find work?

If you have to be north of Tillamook, the only town of any decent size is Astoria but that would be the town with the fewest number of educated permanent residents since it's mostly a blue collar working town. Ethnic food options aren't great anywhere on the coast, but are better now than they would have been 12 years ago. There's probably even a natural grocery store there now, somewhere on the North coast.

It seems like your list of desires would make the Willamette Valley a much better destination for you than the Coast. Anywhere in the Willamette Valley between Portland and Eugene would meet your list of desires far better than the Coast and even Eugene would be a quicker drive to the airport than from anywhere on the Coast. Driving to/from the Coast and the airport very often would get old very quickly, especially in the winter. And while the North Coast is cheaper for housing than Portland Metro area, it's not really cheaper than other areas further South in the Willamette Valley, especially if you're looking for a house with acreage. The North Coast has a limited supply of housing because you would be competing for housing with people from Portland buying vacation homes.

Last edited by patches403; 04-13-2015 at 10:38 AM..

Old 04-13-2015, 10:39 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Good schools and Oregon coast don't go together, but I know Seaside and Manzanita have natural food stores. The one in Manzanita is good, I think for such a small town. I think Manzanita would be a possible choice, but I think the population is only like 600-700 people. Astoria is large enough so I am sure they have a natural food store too.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:08 AM

Almost every coastal town have some kind of close to the earth store.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:13 AM

I don't understand why every time someone posts on here that they'd like to move to the coast, they are bombarded with negativity and tales of how completely horrible the coast is. Someone has to live there. Especially people who enjoy it. I thought that saying that I'm very familiar with Oregon coast life would prevent it from happening. I mean, I'm not saying that I'm from southern california, never been to oregon and am assuming the Oregon coast is like San Diego and that the beaches are warm.

We've lived in the Willamette Valley and Eugene. That is not where we want to live. I know that Seaside, Warrenton, and Astoria are not full of natural food stores with a Thai restaurant on every corner. I'm just asking, of those three towns, is there one that might feel ever so slightly more accommodating.

Thank you.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:18 AM

Thanks Silverfall.
I have been to the one in Manzanita. It's such a cute little area. I wish it wasn't so far away from everything!

Astoria is where we see the programming jobs pop up. There is one open right now, that's got us thinking about it. But it's not quite the right time for us. We're thinking in about a year.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:30 AM

If you have not lived on the coast you would not understand. Visiting and living there are not the same thing. There is more negative to living in an Oregon Coastal town, than there are positives.

When you ask for advice do so without expecting the answer you may want to hear, because dream are dreams and reality is reality.

I have lived on the Oregon Coast a third of my life. Some towns like those in Coos and Curry Counties have so many negatives, it is best to avoid them right now. The only exception would be if you have independent means of support and don't care about the drugs and drug crimes.

As for programmers jobs (two of my degrees are in computer science) yes they pop up in every community, but keep in mind we have a very substantial cadre of trained and experienced programmers here and many of them are looking to move to the coast also.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:47 AM

But, I have lived on the coast. I said that in my first post. I lived there for 15 years and visit frequently. I own a house on the coast. I wasn't asking about jobs. I don't need any lessons about finance. I didn't ask whether or not I should move to the coast. I didn't ask which town in Oregon best fits my interests. There is no need for insinuating that I'm dreaming and out of touch with reality. I know there are better schools/food/jobs/etc. in other parts of the state. I've lived in those places too. Drugs and drug crimes are everywhere. You can say that about almost every town, if that's what you want to focus on.

I only asked, which of the three towns (seaside, warrenton, astoria) might be less bad for us than the other two. (not which town will make all of my dreams come true)

That's all.

Maybe you are bitter about your time living on the coast. Not everyone hates it there. I hope you are happy where you are now.

Maybe someone who is familiar with the area I'm talking about will chime in.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:50 AM

Me bitter. Nope I love the coast. But I would never move to any of the three towns you are considering. If you can get past your attitude, tell me why if you have lived here you are asking us for advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon