Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:30 PM

400 posts, read 414,149 times

Advertisements

What are the benefits? I voted for it reduce the market for people to make money dealing drugs. People can just grow their own and smoke it at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:55 PM

13 posts, read 23,794 times
Quote:
What are the benefits? I voted for it reduce the market for people to make money dealing drugs. People can just grow their own and smoke it at home.
Well, Elk. You're not wrong. But, this is America. Where people want their fixes and they want it now. Black market drug dealers will still be selling weed. And it will still be profitable to them. So, if someone wanted to grow their own, they'd still have to wait several months before they could harvest their plants, and then they have to dry and they have to cure. Which if done correctly, will take another month or so. Most people don't want to take that much time or put in that much effort just to get high. Most adults will likely just go to the nearest pot shop and buy a bag. But what about the underage smokers? There are quite a bit of underage potheads. They will still have to acquire their weed through illegal means. So either having an older friend head over to the shop (likely for a cut/bribe), or they could just go to their local drug dealer and buy a bag there and get smoked out while they are there.

I'm just saying that it's not likely that it will reduce the need much in the black market.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:06 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,549 times
If there's a store where your buying weed from or a guy selling it off the street I'd take the store. Get someone over 21 to buy it instead of getting ripped off or getting laced

Old 04-30-2015, 03:55 PM

400 posts, read 414,149 times
I think grow your own will make less demand for the black market. How could it not? My queston if you want to light up your homegrown on July 1st, where are you supposed to get the seeds ?

As far as buying it, I would like to buy a can of Willie Weed (Willy Nelson, from Texas) He is working with "top growers" on "quality control".

Old 04-30-2015, 04:11 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Even if Oregon has legalized weed, there is still incentive for illegal grows in our state for California and other states. In one of the Oregonian articles on the topic, I read that something like 90% of the pot grown in Oregon (via the big illegal grows in the forests) is shipped to other states. Also, if you look at the Colorado and Washington systems, pot is still substantially cheaper on the underground market than the legal variety is.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:45 PM

Northern Cali is the best place to grow it. pot needs a lot of sun and Portland isn't that good of a place to grow it. This year would have been good to grow it though, weird year

Old 04-30-2015, 04:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
Northern Cali is the best place to grow it. pot needs a lot of sun and Portland isn't that good of a place to grow it. This year would have been good to grow it though, weird year
If they can grow it in Alaska, they can grow it in Portland.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:52 PM

They can? I though it just grew in warmer sunnier places

Old 04-30-2015, 05:02 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,879 times
The law prevents people from getting in legal trouble for simply smoking pot. It's a good bill. Sending people to jail for smoking pot is pretty ridiculous.

With that being said, private companies can do whatever they want. If they don't want to hire pot smokers, then so be it. The biggest problem employers have with pot is that so many people that smoke it, do it on the job. While alcohol is worse for you and causes people to do more crazy stuff, it's pretty hard to get away with getting drunk on the job. That, and if you had an addiction to booze that required you to drink at work, you could never hold a real job in the first place. This means that employers don't care if people drink because they assume that it's not happening on the clock.

Marijuana on the other hand, is super easy to smoke all day long without getting caught for any real stoner. As someone that used to smoke a ton of weed, I can tell you that pretty much every real pothead I knew then and know now, smokes on the job, drives stoned, and engages in a ton of other activities that one should be sober while doing on a daily basis. Add to this that about 1 out of 3 people that smoke the herb are "potheads." People will deny this, and I'll most likely get flamed for saying this, but it's 100% true and employers know this.

That's why most "real" jobs require a pee test for Marijuana.

Flame on stoners! lol

Old 04-30-2015, 05:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
They can? I though it just grew in warmer sunnier places
It does pretty well in greenhouses during the summer and in some outdoor locations (don't forget that Alaska gets a lot more hours of daylight than the -48) but most people who grow it just use grow lights. If you're only doing it for yourself, the electricity doesn't add up to much. Haven't you ever heard of this kind?

http://cannabis.wikia.com/wiki/Matanuska_Thunder****

I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this, but it's almost legal now so it should be okay. Or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon