Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks77 View Post
Well then... WELCOME TO OREGON...

The reasons you are moving to Oregon, are often the same reasons we Oregonians love it here; so please embrace the culture and assimilate. This is not just a place where you can "size up" in square footage and live like a king. This is a special state with special people, and I'd like to keep it that way.

...deal?
You hear some of this crap in Colorado, too. Our former mod tried to stop it as much as he cold. Oregon has "special" people? Give me a break! Oregon has people that are just like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
I think this is really all we ask. I have only lived in Oregon 2+ years and already have a generally anti-California sentiment, for the reasons outlined in this thread.

HOWEVER, usually the "good" types from CA don't flaunt around they are from California. Only the "bad" types do. So...the only ones I hear from are the "bad" types, which causes the stereotype.

But the "Cali attitude" certainly drives me crazy. I had to listen to a receptionist a few months ago go on and on about how miserable she was in Oregon, how terrible it was, how it wasn't like Southern California.
"I'm sorry," I falsely empathized. "So how long have you been here?"
"14 years," she answered.
FOURTEEN YEARS? If you hate it that much, then don't stick around for 14 years. Please just leave.
I don't think people from any state should be divided into "good" and "bad". Who are you to make that decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgroveOregon View Post
In my opinion i think most people tend to blow the whole californians vs. oregonians/washingtonians deal way out of proportion, i cant ever recall hearing anyone ever comment on californians and their" flashiness" and i dont think you can tell the differance between most people in oregon and california anymore, and i mean real californians not those materialistic OC 'fornians you see on tv. If you look around now our younger generations are embracing the californian styles along with almost every other part of the country. I do agree that if u do move here, leave the elitism and materialism back where u came from, but don't categorize people based on where they come from because i cant stand how some people think us oregonians hate californians, and we are all smelly hippies!

You are sort of contradicting yourself here.

cuz i aint a hippy and alotta californians r good people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHaul View Post
Must be a memo from the Emperor. "People of Southern California." Ha!
I moved to Oregon 15 years ago from Florida where the saying was, "Last one out of Michigan, turn off the lights." What part of The Oregon Trail has been forgotten here? Local mentality. I have relatives in New York, Florida and California, and some of them are so provincial they're afraid to leave the state. My work has taken me to all 50 states and "a jerk is a jerk", just the license plate is different.

WELCOME TO OREGON
I love that! I'm going to remember it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber mt View Post
People that think Oregonians are rude should try living east of the Mississippi for a while.
Now that is a stereotypical statement if I ever heard one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4shannan View Post
I just got approved at the comp[lex I wanted in Salem, I'm going to be moving up the end of the month. I'm sooooo excited..any one have a pointer or two? BTW yes Im coming from california but guess what IM not thrilled with california either maybe we'll mesh.....
I think it's sad when people say "I'm from California, but. . ." Don't apologize! You are who you are!

Old 06-29-2008, 02:01 PM

25 posts, read 74,873 times
Wow, Thanks for that, Huckleberry3911948. That's one of the best aphorisms I've ever heard. I was born and raised in rural California, and I watched it be ruined before my eyes. I never go back there. I live in Oregon now -- mostly a good place to be -- and I'm grateful for the good people and the good humor I've found here. But those funny sayings are real keepers. My father-in-law used to say "slower than the mopin' itch." Ever heard of that one? What does it mean?

Old 06-29-2008, 02:10 PM

812 posts, read 2,306,726 times
So many hateful people! People are entitled to move wherever they want and boost any economy they so choose. That is what this country is all about. If people don't like it, it is their own personal problem. You cannot tell people where they can or cannot live. Quite frankly, I get very angry when I see threads from people bashing people from California. I don't live in California and could care less who lives where. Any legal citizen of this country who pays taxes should be free to roam wherever they choose! All I know is I have gone to California on vacation on so many multitudes of vacations and have been welcomed to spend my money and Californians who spend their money should be welcomed to do the same wherever and whenever they choose!

Old 06-29-2008, 02:12 PM

812 posts, read 2,306,726 times
And yes, I know they are not vacationing, they are relocating, and MORE POWER TO THEM!

Old 06-29-2008, 05:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Unfortunately, I have to spread some rep around before I can give you more, Prinny.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADY_DI View Post
i moved here from az and so far ive found that most or people are rude and very nasty and dont care about kids with any kind of special need im going back to az where at least i dont have to wait for 5 month to see a doctor
I agree with you whole heartedly (about the doctor thing) and the high price for housing in Central Oregon is kind of criminal really. Yes- they can be rude, trivial, and hateful. Many people are rascist too. They can be kind, caring and wonderful too. The only reason the Californian stated that is because there was a "I hate Californians!" post prior to that. People are people- WE all have our faults. I thought we're all in this together? I dunno, there's enough hatred in the world already, maybe if everyone would open their eyes a bit they might see beyond their own selfish reality... you create what you think about (I believe) so careful what you focus on.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,437 times
Don't apologize for who you are, the people criticizing, GENERALIZING and judging should be though. Some people can't admit fault or see beyond a limited mind set. "It is what it is".

Last edited by funnyfelders; 06-29-2008 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-29-2008, 09:05 PM

61 posts, read 212,856 times
Being from Wi and just relocating here a year ago, I've found plenty of nice people. With that said............

I don't mind where people are from, but what scares me is that the people moving here from Cali will bring their ideas with them. Oregon is already, in my own personal thoughts and beliefs anways, too liberal of a state. I'm just hoping that the people from Cali don't bring their political views along. Hoping they are leaving Cali because that state is already to far gone.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i dont blame you. we dont like each other here either.
have very nice hawaiian shirts however. sorry you don't like the cars
that would have been our best shot.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:26 PM

129 posts, read 561,740 times
I smell the stench of some heavy stereotyping here. Since when have all the Californians become materialists? Obviously you've never been to Barstow, Lancaster, The Inland Empire, Humbolt, etc. Plenty of rednecks, Bible thumpers, truck drivers and the like.

You act like everyone is rich and superficial....NOT. You've been watching too much TV. If I could find a place like Portland for the money in Ca, I wouldn't be in your back yard. BTW, after getting raped no matter where you go, many Ca people appreciate do-able cost of living, gas prices, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon