Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 06:23 PM

198 posts, read 344,471 times

Advertisements

Anyone moving to remote land is aware that we're moving into habitats and that the animals were there first. I certainly plan to live with that mindfulness and don't want to inadvertently serve up a ready buffet of pets and livestock to predators. I think we're all wise enough to do some research and planning before moving there.

I was chatting about this with friends who have a big cattle ranch out in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of predators around but do you know what she said my biggest scourge is going to be? Raccoons. The little blighters aren't the least bit afraid of/timid around humans; are extremely smart, agile, and cunning; can be quite mean; aren't deterred by electric fences; and can figure their way into hen houses to kill chickens rather easily. They also try to get into your home, of course. Yay.

So, I will have an electrified wire fence around the perimeter. That should help to deter the larger animals, unless they're sick or starving. And I'm going to have some guinea fowl to raise the alarm, lol. They're also great for clearing the area of pesky bugs, especially ticks and beetles, and they go after snakes and rodents. (If they get too loud and annoy neighbors who build near me, guinea apparently taste like pheasant! )

My friend said that donkeys/mules are VERY protective of their environment and to consider keeping one. TOTALLY an option because I was contemplating a horse. A surefooted mule or a donkey would make more sense to ride on forested mountain trails. Protecting the other livestock? BONUS, baby!

I have 2 small terriers and Great Horned Owls, coyotes, and what-not where I currently live so I know to be vigilant. I'm preparing for Oregon. They won't be running free or left outside unattended. I plan to have a wooden fenced-in area off the back of the cabin and deck where they can play. I also have an English bulldog but she's no help. Upon encountering a hopping bunny in our backyard a few months ago, she ran behind my legs while the little terriers gave chase, lol.

I am planning to get another, larger dog that's more protective and a livestock guardian -- most likely a Great Pyrenees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: