U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 02:38 AM

2,445 posts, read 2,258,817 times

Advertisements

Troutdale and some areas in Gresham. I was thrown out of a house party because I was black. Not exaggerating at all. It was one of the most degrading experiences of my life. My white friends were more pissed off than I was. People were trying to talk him down, but he said "I don't care who he is, I'll kill em!"

We got to the apartment and were drinking some beer on the couch and after a few minutes he came out and I guess couldn't handle a black person in his apartment so he asked someone to ask me to leave.

Oregon is awesome but there are bad people in little pockets. I've been to MS, LA, and FL and haven't seen racism like I have in Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 10:32 AM

1,294 posts, read 654,843 times
really? you are doing a redneck study? come on! this is really a study about our reactions to a proposed redneck study isn't it?

Old 09-30-2015, 02:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 10,474,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Oregon is awesome but there are bad people in little pockets. I've been to MS, LA, and FL and haven't seen racism like I have in Oregon.
Interesting. How would you characterize the difference between Oregon racism and Deep South racism, as you've experienced them?

Old 10-01-2015, 12:28 PM

114 posts, read 64,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJohnson92346 View Post
Does Oregon have rednecks?

We're doing research for a study and we're wondering if anyone could tell us where the rednecks live in Oregon. Every state has them. Where would we most likely see them if we drove through.
I've not read any responses yet, but will. First, check out the small town of Yamhill, in Yamhill County. If the town's not redneck enough, the surrounding hills are. Though relatively close to Portland, many folks have fled the metro area as Portlandia's gotten weirder ...but they still like the jobs in the burbs..

They actually pride themselves on their backward ways. Followed one this summer, rear window broke out of his car with the 'stars & bars' flag draped across it - and a bumper sticker reading, "Keep Portland Scared!" Funny thing is, those I worked with out there were actually scared to drive into Portland - afraid they'd end up in a fight. Go figure ~

Old 10-01-2015, 01:01 PM

114 posts, read 64,407 times
alright, read em all ...not bad.. and makes me proud to be a Native Oregonian. And this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
My extended family is scattered all over Oregon and easily half of them are proudly redneck and put all their disposable income into weapons and giant 4x4 trucks.
Nearly spit out my beer -- BINGO!

Hell, I'm staying with an ex-Oregon girl in DC (as in Washington) at the moment - and I've still got a red neck and tanned T-shirt arms from Yamhill County... Give me 'red necks' over this DC crowd any day!

Old 10-01-2015, 01:12 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,022,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Maybe you could ask in the bigot community. They can tell you where the people are located that they are making up unflattering stereotypes about.
The bigot community? LMAO.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:31 PM

6 posts, read 4,913 times
Oregon is like the Alabama of the west. They are everywhere. PDX to a lesser extent but still.....

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Most of my family ended up out there because of the Oregon trail so it was settled originally by some pretty hardy people in mostly non-urban contexts, it is the west after all......

Old 10-05-2015, 06:29 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,113,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregone View Post
Funny thing is, those I worked with out there were actually scared to drive into Portland - afraid they'd end up in a fight. Go figure ~
I work in a rural area. I have met many "redneck types" that hate Portland with a passion. I drive to Portland all the time and have never had any issues. But, a lot of country types act like it's unsafe and a war zone. lol.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:40 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,858,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I told 'm Albany. Well, OK, Albany, Lebanon and Sweet Home. I think there's still a Timber Festival in Albany.
Larry, I've lived Albany for about 45 or so years. The Timber Festival ended in 2000. There were some hopes to revive it in 2008, but that never materialized.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albany...ts_and_culture

Old 10-07-2015, 08:47 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,858,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
One thing I don't miss is that basic pulp and paper plant on I-5 just north of Albany. You could smell it from nearly twenty miles north or south of Albany depending on which direction the wind was blowing.
Yeah, it was pretty stinky. When driving past it, it always seemed traditional to blame someone in the car for the smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon