Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,488 times

Advertisements

Does Oregon have rednecks?

We're doing research for a study and we're wondering if anyone could tell us where the rednecks live in Oregon. Every state has them. Where would we most likely see them if we drove through.

A Redneck is defined in many ways. Usually, it's republican truck drivers who are racist, but they're also just guys who drive trucks and hunt and fish.

Any help is appreciated.

Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 08:08 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Maybe you could ask in the bigot community. They can tell you where the people are located that they are making up unflattering stereotypes about.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:06 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Hey, I drive a truck and hunt and fish.
I must be a redneck.

So count the Portland area as at least having *one*.

(School must be starting again, time for a wave of juvenile "humor".)

Old 08-31-2015, 10:42 AM

176 posts, read 202,392 times
Your criteria is a little iffy. I think what you should look at are which areas of Oregon are more culturally conservative. Look at an electoral map and see the red areas.

As a general rule, the more populated areas and college towns (Portland, Salem, Eugene, Corvallis, Bend, Medford/Ashland) are less "rednecky" while the smaller towns and mid size cities are more so. That being said, you can find plenty of Coors-swilling, NASCAR watching, die hard conservatives even in the middle of Portland. It's all relative.

In my experience, if you are looking for rednecks, try Grants Pass, Klamath Falls, Douglas County, and pretty much anything east of the Cascades outside of the Bend area. Or even better, hit Pendleton during the Roundup.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:57 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Maybe you could ask in the bigot community. They can tell you where the people are located that they are making up unflattering stereotypes about.
Thank you.

Something seems a little off with that thread.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Albany.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:35 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
I heard there were some in Molestacada.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:37 PM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
In my opinion, redneck is a term of endearment for someone who loves God, country, family, and a simple life....they're good neighbors. Using my definition, they're all over Oregon but somewhat less prevalent in Portland & Eugene.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:21 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,525 times
They are certainly not trolling internet forums.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:46 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,178,236 times
If you wanna meet one of these people you call Rednecks, just come out here to Baker County and throw a Bud Light in the air and one of them will catch it. I'm just kidding, of course – don't do it. It would be considered bad manners.

All you have to do to see one is drive down one of the Scenic Byways and pull over and look like you are having car trouble.

Before long some guy, or maybe a gal, driving home in a big pickup after a day on the ranch will stop to see if you need help. It will happen even if you still have that old Obama Hope & Change bumper sticker from 08 on your car. It's even happened to me when I have stopped to take pictures.

If you actually do need help, don't try to pay for it – it's done for free out here. One of those beers might be appreciated, though.

TRIGGER WARNING #1: Take your anti-anxiety medications before you do this because when you look through the back window of the pickup you will probably see what you think are GUNS mounted on a rack. They will probably be fishing rods but chances are you wont know the difference.

Before I forget, TRIGGER WARNING #2: If you stay in a motel out here, when you go to get your free breakfast in the morning, more than likely the TV in the breakfast room will be tuned to FOX NEWS. If so, make sure you have a Safe Space* to retreat to.

*”The safe space, Ms. Byron explained, was intended to give people who might find comments “troubling” or “triggering,” a place to recuperate. The room was equipped with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies,....” the whole story:
"Hypersensitive" campus progressives: Judith Shulevitz is half-right, but takes her criticisms too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon