Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 02:01 PM

18 posts, read 16,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Saturday there was an open house on this property https://www.redfin.com/OR/Beaverton/.../home/26720368 We liked the house and the neighborhood. I'm surprised it's still available, but maybe it's a sign the summer frenzy and overpaying for homes is ending. Or not.
Thank you for the suggestion Sherwoody. Its a great home and the neighborhood definitely looks nice, unfortunately it is a bit on the higher end of our budget. I've noticed that a majority of the ideal neighborhoods tend to be on the SW of Portland. What do you think of neighborhoods SE of Portland close to Gresham? https://www.redfin.com/OR/Portland/1.../home/26598932 this is something that looks like it could be promising? Any thoughts? We've also set up an appointment to view this home once we land in Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 02:01 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,997,179 times
I live within walking distance of the house in the OP. It is a perfectly nice neighborhood known as Cooper Park according to nextdoor.com. It's actually outside the Beaverton city limits but in the Beaverton School District. Some people in this area embrace the name "Aloha"; some don't. I commute daily from there to downtown Portland with no problem, and there's frequent bus service on Farmington Rd. to the Beaverton Transit Center. The house seems to be next to Lawndale Park, which is scheduled for a major upgrade in the next year or so - google "sw quadrant community park" for details on what's coming.

Best of luck in your search!

edit: PS - outer southeast Portland is where people move when they can no longer afford to live in the parts of Portland that have become hip/popular/gentrified/expensive in recent years.

Last edited by Rob Allen; 09-02-2015 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 02:06 PM

Thanks so much Rob. This is exactly the kind of reassurance we were looking for. I'm looking forward to seeing what your neighborhood has to offer this weekend.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:11 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,284,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk13p View Post
Thank you for the suggestion Sherwoody. Its a great home and the neighborhood definitely looks nice, unfortunately it is a bit on the higher end of our budget. I've noticed that a majority of the ideal neighborhoods tend to be on the SW of Portland. What do you think of neighborhoods SE of Portland close to Gresham? https://www.redfin.com/OR/Portland/1.../home/26598932 this is something that looks like it could be promising? Any thoughts? We've also set up an appointment to view this home once we land in Portland.
The homes in the SW listed now at just under $300,000 would have been $250,000 just before summer. I know because I've been looking for more than a year in anticipation of buying between school years. We procastinated and prices shot up and weren't prepared to pay $50,000 more just to move in the summer. There was this perfect home that was listed for about $250,000 but others were offering more than listed so we bowed out. We hope the market will adjust over winter and we'll try again.

Have a look at what homes sold for just prior to summer. http://www.realtor.com/soldhomeprice...2/pg-3?pgsz=20

Sorry, I have no knowledge of any area more than 20 minutes commute from Beaverton where we work. I think you will be able to find something in your price range but I would choose an area near your work as traffic here is horrible with the antiquated two lane freeways in many areas.

This was just listed in your price range. ML#15227670

Last edited by Sherwoody; 09-02-2015 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: Add a mls

Old 09-03-2015, 06:50 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,284,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsteel17 View Post
Aloha is the biggest dump on the Westside. Mile upon mile of decaying strip malls, gang issues, the occasional shooting, and tons of low income Mexican and White trash stumbling around looking for a meth score.

If I've painted a bleak picture, that was the point. I would look further north on NW 185th closer to Walker, Cornell, or Evergreen Pkwy. Even around Baseline Rd. Any of those areas would be a big improvement over Aloha. Also check out the area near Greenway Park in Beaverton.
Perhaps a little closer to the truth than even I would have expected.

September 3, 2015--Washington County Sheriff's Deputies are searching for a man after he reportedly stabbed a boy while attempting to rob him.

On August 30, 2015 at 11:58 p.m., Sheriff's Deputies were called to the Kaiser Westside Hospital concerning a reported stabbing victim. Deputies contacted a 16 year-old boy that was receiving medical attention for an apparent stab wound to the chest.

The boy said at about 11:30 p.m., he rode his scooter to SW Kinnaman Street at SW 182nd Avenue. He reported while he was there, another young male approached him, asked him the time, then attempted to rob him of his cell phone and scooter. The boy reported the suspect had a knife and that he received a stab wound as they both struggled. The boy rode home on his scooter and his parents took him to the hospital.

Sheriff's Deputies responded to the area along with a Tigard K9 and handler to search for the suspect and evidence but were unable to locate anything of significance.
Washington County Violent Crime Unit Detectives were contacted and are continuing the investigation. Detectives believe this robbery attempt was from an unknown person.

The suspect was described as being 17 to 20 years-old, having darker skin, gauge earrings, short dark hair and 5'6" to 5'8" tall. He was reportedly wearing a gray jacket with black pants.

This afternoon, a Beaverton Police Detective completed the composite drawing
Detectives are seeking the public's help regarding this case. If you have any information, please call the Washington County Sheriff's Office at (503) 846-2500.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:31 AM

6 posts, read 8,060 times
Aloha has good and bad. Just like Beaverton, Hillsboro, etc.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:52 AM

well, just got back from oregon looking at some properties. The only property which we put an offer on is located in beaverton on 12th and sw franklin. My wife and I loved this area as it was walking distance to many things we like. ( parks, farmers market, schooling, etc.....) hopefully the deal goes good. what are your thoughts on this area? from what we saw, we loved it. it is also close to providence st vincents hospital just in case i need to go back in the medical field if real estate isnt working out.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:55 AM

On a side note, this house was theeeee best house we seen but we didnt like the area at all..... THis house was just beautiful. everything we could ask for. it was even in a secluded pathway which had 2 parking spots for guests. too bas the are was not to our liking. https://www.redfin.com/OR/Portland/3.../home/26549882

Old 09-09-2015, 11:11 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,584,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk13p View Post
On a side note, this house was theeeee best house we seen but we didnt like the area at all..... THis house was just beautiful. everything we could ask for. it was even in a secluded pathway which had 2 parking spots for guests. too bas the are was not to our liking. https://www.redfin.com/OR/Portland/3.../home/26549882
That would be the majority opinion. I would consider it, but then I already live fairly near by. The area isn't as bad as it looks on the surface, imo, but it definitely doesn't compare to the area you did pick.

Plus if the secession happened (it won't, and I say that as someone who mostly supports it) it's really hard to predict what that would do to property values.

Maybe the new eastside incorporated could fix the schools, etc., but it's a lot to hope for. Beaverton was the safer bet of the two.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:44 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,997,179 times
SW 12th & Franklin in central Beaverton seems like a nice area. You're not on a major street but you're not far from them either. Good luck with the purchase, I hope it goes smoothly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon