U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:08 PM

12,827 posts, read 27,654,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules007 View Post
Hi All,

Corvallis, Albany/Nth Albany, McMinnville, Wilsonville proper, Ashland - ??
It may be a silly question but with so many lovely towns in the central Willamette & South region, how does anyone know where of these would be a great place to live for active mid age people like ourselves.

The whole wine area, universities, art & theatre and community scene - they all look awesome. Swimming pools, cycling, good food & wine, music and theatre, gymnasiums, motorbiking, all things we enjoy. Mostly we are looking for a community that is open and friendly to foreigners.

Has anyone any bright ideas apart from visiting, what the pros & cons are for these areas.
There is a lot of information on the forum, so much, that maybe a few key points would help before we visit next year.

Cheers
JB
I think the only town that meets all of those is Ashland. Wilsonville is suburbia, but it is close to Portland for arts and theater. All of those cities have totally different vibes.

Corvallis has around 50k in population. OSU is a huge part of the city there so there is a mix of people there. I think it would meet most of your criteria except music, art and theater.

Albany is a working class/middle class community. North Albany is just housing and is a part of Albany in the same way that West Salem is Salem, but over the river. The pulp mill closed in Millersburg, but the smelting plant is still there so you will sometimes get smells from that.

McMinnville is a nice small town of about 35k. Good jumping off point for the wine community and Yamhill is good for cycling. Nice rolling hills in there. No real arts scene though.

Wilsonville is a typical suburb, in my opinion. It is far enough south that you could head into the country for cycling, but you would have a lot more traffic around you due to the proximity to Portland.

Ashland meets the criteria for arts and theater, access to wineries, and then access to the outdoors. This is a more upscale community.

I would never put all of those communities together and think of them as being similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 02:46 PM

41 posts, read 23,753 times
Thanks Bier144, would not be travelling East at all, it would always be to SFO to get out to travel to NZ and Australia and the Pacific Islands. So that would fit well.

Silverfall - good info, thank you very much for that..... I am tending to think the Corvallis and Ashland towns work best in what we like as well.....don't really want to contend with major traffic either. Also weather wise, think they are far more forgiving, on paper, than WA or ID by the looks.

Thank you all again...... making things much easier to look at with the information.
Best for the rest of the week to all !
Cheers
JB

Old 11-11-2015, 01:15 PM

8,355 posts, read 8,732,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I think the only town that meets all of those is Ashland. Wilsonville is suburbia, but it is close to Portland for arts and theater. All of those cities have totally different vibes.

Corvallis has around 50k in population. OSU is a huge part of the city there so there is a mix of people there. I think it would meet most of your criteria except music, art and theater.

Albany is a working class/middle class community. North Albany is just housing and is a part of Albany in the same way that West Salem is Salem, but over the river. The pulp mill closed in Millersburg, but the smelting plant is still there so you will sometimes get smells from that.

McMinnville is a nice small town of about 35k. Good jumping off point for the wine community and Yamhill is good for cycling. Nice rolling hills in there. No real arts scene though.

Wilsonville is a typical suburb, in my opinion. It is far enough south that you could head into the country for cycling, but you would have a lot more traffic around you due to the proximity to Portland.

Ashland meets the criteria for arts and theater, access to wineries, and then access to the outdoors. This is a more upscale community.

I would never put all of those communities together and think of them as being similar.
It's interesting that McMinnville has changed so much. I lived in Yamhill County 30 years ago, and there were more art events going on in McMinnville than there were in Salem. I have a cousin who is an actress who has just moved there, and she is excited by the theater scene in Mac, so at least some things survive.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's interesting that McMinnville has changed so much. I lived in Yamhill County 30 years ago, and there were more art events going on in McMinnville than there were in Salem. I have a cousin who is an actress who has just moved there, and she is excited by the theater scene in Mac, so at least some things survive.
Thanks Larry... that's very interesting as going over my notes, I really like McMinnville so its good to know there must be some type of theatre scene, which is an important part of what we like.....

Anything more you can give your opinion on, on McMinnville..... type of community, festivals... we ride motorbikes (touring bikes)...clubs in the area.

I think one of the bigger issues for McMinnville would probably be access out like Bier144 said..... it would have to be up to Portland.....(big minus on my pros and cons list).....

In the end it will be feel of a place really as well.......
Thanks
Jules

Old 11-12-2015, 09:23 AM

8,355 posts, read 8,732,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules007 View Post
Thanks Larry... that's very interesting as going over my notes, I really like McMinnville so its good to know there must be some type of theatre scene, which is an important part of what we like.....

Anything more you can give your opinion on, on McMinnville..... type of community, festivals... we ride motorbikes (touring bikes)...clubs in the area.

I think one of the bigger issues for McMinnville would probably be access out like Bier144 said..... it would have to be up to Portland.....(big minus on my pros and cons list).....

In the end it will be feel of a place really as well.......
Thanks
Jules
The drive to Portland has always been horrible because of the traffic jam in Dundee. They finally started the Dundee Bypass on 99W, but it will be at least a couple of years before you get any relief.

Oregon Department of Transportation - JTA Region 2 - Highway 99W Newberg Dundee Bypass - Home

Oregonians love their festivals. There's one or more going on every weekend all summer. Mac has lots of festivals. Let's see, there's the "I dragged the gut in McMinnville" festival that just got started a few years ago and has turned into a classic car parade.

There's the UFO festival, since the Trent family provided the first photo of a UFO ever taken. It was actually a shot of an upside down tin pie plate flying through the air, but it caused a national furor and put Mac on the "out there" map. It has resulted in some humorous costumes, and people come from far away to celebrate flying saucers.

Then there's TurkeyRama. I don't think they call it that any more. Yamhill County used to be a big turkey growing area, so they had a turkey barbecue every summer, but Norbest went bankrupt and a lot of farmers got wiped out when they didn't get paid for a year's crop. Now I think it's turned into a street fair.

Surrounding communities also have festivals. I think there's a Daffodil Festival in Amity, and I'm sure Newberg has stuff going on. All the wineries have events all year. Some of the wineries have pretty fancy facilities, others are more the stack chairs and BBQ grill sort of events.

You might look at Newberg as a possible place to live. It has the same wineries and it's closer to Portland, avoiding the dread Dundee traffic jam. George Fox College (university?) in Newberg is a Quaker college, whereas Linfield in McMinnville is a Baptist college. Your have a choice of religions.

I can't help you about motorcycles. I don't ride, and have never paid any attention.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The drive to Portland has always been horrible because of the traffic jam in Dundee. They finally started the Dundee Bypass on 99W, but it will be at least a couple of years before you get any relief.

Oregon Department of Transportation - JTA Region 2 - Highway 99W Newberg Dundee Bypass - Home

Oregonians love their festivals. There's one or more going on every weekend all summer. Mac has lots of festivals. Let's see, there's the "I dragged the gut in McMinnville" festival that just got started a few years ago and has turned into a classic car parade.

There's the UFO festival, since the Trent family provided the first photo of a UFO ever taken. It was actually a shot of an upside down tin pie plate flying through the air, but it caused a national furor and put Mac on the "out there" map. It has resulted in some humorous costumes, and people come from far away to celebrate flying saucers.

Then there's TurkeyRama. I don't think they call it that any more. Yamhill County used to be a big turkey growing area, so they had a turkey barbecue every summer, but Norbest went bankrupt and a lot of farmers got wiped out when they didn't get paid for a year's crop. Now I think it's turned into a street fair.

Surrounding communities also have festivals. I think there's a Daffodil Festival in Amity, and I'm sure Newberg has stuff going on. All the wineries have events all year. Some of the wineries have pretty fancy facilities, others are more the stack chairs and BBQ grill sort of events.

You might look at Newberg as a possible place to live. It has the same wineries and it's closer to Portland, avoiding the dread Dundee traffic jam. George Fox College (university?) in Newberg is a Quaker college, whereas Linfield in McMinnville is a Baptist college. Your have a choice of religions.

I can't help you about motorcycles. I don't ride, and have never paid any attention.

Excellent info on the festivals Larry, thank you..... gosh I really have had a laugh at some of them especially Turkey Rama.. right up my alley.... ahahaaa and the UFO Festival ahahhaa gosh I would definitely get into that..... what a cool spot !!

Old 11-12-2015, 04:14 PM

18,378 posts, read 22,893,596 times
The International Pinot Noir Celebration takes place in McMinnville every year and is truly a world-class event.

International Pinot Noir Celebration - Oregon Wine Country

Old 11-14-2015, 09:00 AM

We do like our wine, so that is a definite bonus !! Thanks Metlakatla

Old 12-22-2015, 11:39 PM

103 posts, read 367,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Hot summers are a rarity west of the Cascades. We whine when the temp gets into the 90s.
Hate to disagree but have you forgotten this past summer? We had record heat into the 100s more days that I care to remember. Everyone was scrambling to buy window A/Cs. It was miserable and I'm pretty sure it was that way throughout Oregon...or perhaps I'm mistaken? I rent a 3-bedroom plex in Portland and I invested several hundred dollars in portable A/Cs so we could sleep at night. It was not my favorite summer! Reminded me a lot of some of my summers growing up in Texas! I moved out here to escape that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon