Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,025 times

Advertisements

mtnsurfer, do you surf the oregon coast? have you found any good spots comparable to california? i surf camel rock in trinidad ca and am looking for a few good spots close to coos bay where we will be hopefully moving to once done with fnp school. also your photos of your coast trip are inspired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 04:56 PM

29 posts, read 92,420 times
Cannon beach is a nice spot, definately worth a good stop, lots of nice beach walking and good little shops to tour. Astoria isn't all that great, however the bridge over the mouth of the columbia is pretty cool. I geeked out seeing the goonies house but my kids weren't too impressed

The drive from Newport down to Florence is AMAZING. I stopped probably once per mile to take pictures. If you like beer, stop by the Rogue brewery in newport for a tour too.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:44 AM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Well, since you asked we will drive the coast. Here is our rough plan so far. We will stay overnight at most of these locations and explore the areas around them:

Portland
* Columbia River Gorge Waterfalls
* Japanese Gardens

Cannon Beach
* Ecola SP - sunset
* Hug Point?
* Owald West State Park

Oceanside
* Three Arch Rocks
* Tunnel Beach - low tide thru the tunnel

Newport
* Aquarium
* Yaquina Head Lighthouse

Yachatas
* Haceta Head Lighthouse - sunset/night
* Cape Perpetua

Bandon
* Coquille River Lighthouse - sunset/night from across the river
* Shore Acres State Park

Gold Beach/Brookings
* Cape Blanko & Lighthouse
* Boardman SP - Natural Bridge Cove

Crater Lake
* Maybe just visitors center depending on roads conditions/snow

We have three children (2-6). I am nature photographer by hobby and passion. So beautiful coastal views and fun stuff for kids are to the primary goals. Any other must sees along the coast?

During the Oceanside portion of your trip make sure you take in the Cape Meares Lighthouse area and the famous Octopus tree. I'd also suggest the hike out to Bay Ocean spit. A lot of nature photographers love to photograph that area. You can have your choice of the ocean beach side or the Tillamook bay side or both. It's my favorite place to ride my bike. (No motor vehicles are allowed).

Go into Tillamook and visit the WWII blimp hanger/air museum. I believe it's the largest wooden structure in the US or maybe the world. You can also take scenic plane rides out to the Cape Meares Lighthouse from the airfield. If you see the Tillamook cheese factory keep on going. (it's just a tourist trap but sometimes it's fun to get some cheese curds to snack on.).

You might also look into the scenic railroad ride from Garibaldi to Wheeler. I'm not sure if it's open until summer though. They usually have open air railroad cars so there's lots to see.

You might want to spend some time exploring around Garibaldi, Rockaway Beach, Nehalem, Wheeler and Manzinita. They are all quaint little towns with interesting things to see.

I'd personally avoid Canon Beach. The town is typical tourist "fluff" but the beach is nice.

Go as late in the spring as you can but be prepared to get wet. A little rain never hurt anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon