Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 11:30 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
It was enough to remove OR from my list of candidate states when we were considering where to move.

I use locking gas caps, feel that the gas pump lines get absurd due to workers having to run back and forth between multiple cars, and last but not least, cringe when I see the methheads who often took our credit cards. At one station, the attendant hid a tiny notepad as she copied the other customer's number onto it!
She did not realize I was watching her. Then when she took my card, she told me to go inside to wait and when I refused, she kept staring at the card for over a minute, as if trying to memorize the number (including the security code on the back). Fortunately, that station only took debit cards, so she reluctantly had to tell me that...AFTER trying to memorize my card number!

From then on, I vowed to only pay with cash in OR. Which is a big hassle because prepaying for a fillup always involves guessing what the amount will be and making another trip inside to get the change.
I say BS...didn't happen or you would have pursued it at the time. So...when ya leaving OR?
Koale

Old 12-13-2015, 11:37 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I say BS...didn't happen or you would have pursued it at the time. So...when ya leaving OR?
Koale
I didn't pursue it because I did not buy gas there. I took my card away from her and went elsewhere.

You cannot call BS without being a BSer yourself.

As for your Get Out of OR attitude, congratulations. I made a specific comment about one practice that I hate, and that is your reason for making all kinds of other assumptions about me. Pathetic.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:58 PM

346 posts, read 463,728 times
The only thing I disliked about it when I lived in Oregon, was the sometimes long wait. Very busy stations only seemed to have two attendants working 6-8 vehicles waiting to fill. Frustrating!

Old 12-13-2015, 01:42 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike;42264250......
. At one station, the attendant hid a tiny notepad as she copied the other customer's number onto it! .....
All the gas station attendants have tiny notepads that they write the pump number on, so that you can be charged for the right pump when you go inside to pay. Even stations where you pay at the pump will give you the option of paying inside. You take in your tiny slip of paper with the number written on it, pay, and get that tiny slip of paper stamped that you paid. You then take out the slip of paper that shows that you paid-- unless you are a regular customer and then the attendant just waves you goodbye and doesn't look at the slip.

You can't know that the attendant was writing down a card number unless you were hanging over her shoulder looking at both the card and at what she was writing. Maybe she was writing a phone number. Why didn;t you report it to management if you are so sure you saw the attendant stealing?

Cards are swiped right there at the pump while you watch. There isn't a whole lot of risk that the attendant will write down your number while you are sitting there 2 feet away, watching him.

Attendants handle cash. Gas stations aren't going to hire thieves. Keep an eye on your card while it is being swiped and stop worrying about it.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:16 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt _farmer View Post
The only thing I disliked about it when I lived in Oregon, was the sometimes long wait. Very busy stations only seemed to have two attendants working 6-8 vehicles waiting to fill. Frustrating!
Pick another station? Usually the ones that are a bit higher priced (.05-.10?) are less crowded. Sometimes a buck or two per fill up is worth avoiding the aggravation.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Do you hand your credit card to a waiter in a restaurant? Same thing.

My dog loves to go get gas at the Fred Meyer in Brookings because the attendants give her treats. They've told me it's the best part of their job - giving treats to people's dogs.

I don't mind the wait, being from CA, because the price is so much cheaper. About 60 cents per gallon cheaper. Worth the wait.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:43 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
True, but if you get out to remove your gas cap and swipe the card, you might as well pump the gas.
What other jobs would you like to take away from people?

Old 12-13-2015, 02:57 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
What other jobs would you like to take away from people?
What other unnecessary jobs would you like to require by law?

Just think how many jobs would be created if it were prohibited by statute to brush your own teeth.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:13 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
The only reason not to have self-service gas pumping is it creates jobs – and I'm for it because it creates those jobs - but only for larger population areas.

The requirement has always been a hardship for the people who live in the very rural areas of Oregon – and much of Oregon, geographically, is very rural.

Many of the gas stations in these rural areas consist of a couple of pumps in front of a general store or the local mechanic's garage. These places are only open for limited hours – there's not that much business. When they are closed, nobody, and that includes tourists, can buy gas. If people could pump their own gas there wouldn't be a problem.

But finally, relief for these areas is coming. It took a lot of begging and too many compromises, but they are finally going to be able to pump their own gas – at least at night:

Self-pump fuel gets go ahead in rural Oregon | News | argusobserver.com

I followed the process closely. A couple of pompous twit Portland area legislators were against it.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:02 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
It'd certainly be slightly faster and probably a couple cents a gallon cheaper if you could pump your own gas, but it certainly doesn't seem like a huge thing to get worked up about. If it is the biggest thing EVER to complain about, perhaps one should examine one's life and priorities.

When I lived in a very rural area, I had a Pacific Pride card - not that I used it much, it wasn't particularly convenient or cheap (nor was it very good gas, it made the "check engine" light come on a lot in my neighbors car and he'd have to take the car in the have the code cleared with no obvious issue.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon