Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:24 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Here's the thing...

I lived in Eastern Oregon for 10 years and worked harvest... It's a different world than the valley or The People's Republic of Multnomah County. In Eastern Oregon the feds own huge tracts of land managed by the BLM. The ranchers work the land, unabated, for decades at a time and never see the BLM. They hunt to eat. Yes, there are grocery stores, but this is their way. Then when there is a 30-year policy shift or something like this happens the BLM comes around. But it's like taking their land or way of life from them.

Here in the Portland area it's also different. Here the norm is blowing weed all day, sucking off the government illegally for food stamps..., men dressing like girls, people riding bikes naked and begging to raise taxes. They think we are odd and we think they are odd. But it's just different cultures.

But these are hard working people and I hope they find a peaceful solution.
Maybe they should get over their sense of entitlement and just be grateful that they were able to suck off the government for free land for the last hundred years.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:07 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Maybe they should get over their sense of entitlement and just be grateful that they were able to suck off the government for free land for the last hundred years.
Don't forget all the farm subsidies these guys get from the government. They don't want to give that up.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:20 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I think so, yes. Perhaps evidence that they have concrete plans to harm innocent people without provocation would be enough, though. Again, I think what they have done has now crossed the line into a criminal act. But I withhold judgment that it is terrorism without further evidence.
I think the provocation is the question here. Just like Muslim terrorists view incursions into their lands by the West as a provocation, these militia groups see the impending jailing of the Hammonds (along with a long history of what they perceive to be "occupation" on federal lands by the government) as a provocation. They are so married to their ideology they view the legal proceedings. the court judgement, and the ongoing "occupation" as going against their core belief system.

Certainly it's not a one-for-one comparison, but there are common threads. I'm comfortable with calling it domestic terrorism.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:31 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
By the way, those leased lands are still open to multiple uses such as logging and recreation. But when I did field work in grad school on some central and eastern Oregon streams, we were told by BLM and USFS that we should call the rancher leasing the land to "ask permission" even though the land was federal. That's the mentality.
It might not be a mentality, but a right. Leases come with rights so it just depends on what those specific rights were in the terms of the lease. It might be that you don't have a right to be on the land they lease for grazing without their permission per the lease arrangement. Just like landlords need to give 24-hour notice to tenants. I can see a rancher with grazing rights wanting to know if people will be on the land or not so they can protect their livestock. That seems reasonable to me.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:32 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
It's what they should have done at Waco in my opinion. I truly hope this doesn't end tragically.

I think lessons were learned in Waco such that the same mistakes won't be repeated.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:42 PM

3,776 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
I'm comfortable with calling it domestic terrorism.
What specifically would you call out as a domestic terrorist act?

Old 01-04-2016, 12:52 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
What specifically would you call out as a domestic terrorist act?
Seizing public property and threatening to use force to hold it.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:29 PM

3,776 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Seizing public property and threatening to use force to hold it.
Is there a legal precedent for applying the term terrorism to a similar act?

Old 01-04-2016, 01:33 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
Is there a legal precedent for applying the term terrorism to a similar act?
You want to apply the term to a very narrow definition. Certainly your prerogative. I would say that when people (federal employees) can't go about their normal course of business because of fears for their safety, that's terrorism.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:35 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
ODOT has closed 60 miles of highway 78 and highway 205 south of Burns.

BURNS: ODOT: Highways closed at law enforcement request | Elkhorn Media Group
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon