Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 18,280 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are wondering if the decrease in general allergy symptoms we've experienced while on the Oregon coast is coincidental - or - has anyone else experienced it? We're considering moving to the coast from inland Oregon and that would definitely be a reinforcing factor! Thanks in advance!

CB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 AM

113 posts, read 717,738 times
My allergies go crazy in the summertime in the valley. Here on the coast, my allergies never bother me. I don't think it is a coincidence. Although, dry mold can be dangerous for some people that are allergy sensitive.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 18,280 times
Thanks for the reply - that's nice to know!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:08 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Only anecdotal... my California Allergies... no not to the state ... never seem to bother me in Western Washington...

I think the combination of Puget Sound and the Rains really keep the pollens in check...

Old 02-09-2008, 02:05 PM

240 posts, read 1,281,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chil-Bob View Post
My wife and I are wondering if the decrease in general allergy symptoms we've experienced while on the Oregon coast is coincidental - or - has anyone else experienced it? We're considering moving to the coast from inland Oregon and that would definitely be a reinforcing factor! Thanks in advance!CB
I had severe allergies while living in SoCal. Moved to the Oregon coast four years ago and now I am most often, 99.9% of the time, symptom free. Occasionally in spring, when the 'scottish broom' blooms, I experience some sniffles, but not for long and never severe. I have no need for any allergy medications any longer.

There are many great reasons to move to the coast, but definitely add that one near the top of the list.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:13 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,018,375 times
my husbands allergies went from bad to almost nil when we moved to the coast. Its been really nice for him.
Now for me, something that people might want to keep in mind, was the difference in elevation/pressures/etc. caused me to have mild to moderate headaches and slight nasea for a good year before i got fully adjusted. My new boss, i swear he thought i was a hypocondriac! (spl?)
anyhow, i got over it and couldnt be as happy living anywhere else. And the hubby is really happy to not have the allergy probs anymore too!!
Tiff

Old 03-17-2008, 04:17 PM

95 posts, read 378,838 times
Default Not your imagination!

I never had any allergy problems while living in the Pacific Northwest, Seattle area. Ever since moving to SW Montana, 3 yrs ago, I have had severe itchy, watery eyes. I finally saw the doc for it, but the allergy meds only work some of the time.It is extremely uncomfortable, and I don't understand how anyone ever gets used to these symptoms.

Every time I have been back to the Puget Sound area, my eyes feel so good, I feel ten yrs younger! I will definitely move back to the "coast" area as soon as I can!

Old 03-17-2008, 05:23 PM

4 posts, read 36,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chil-Bob View Post
My wife and I are wondering if the decrease in general allergy symptoms we've experienced while on the Oregon coast is coincidental - or - has anyone else experienced it? We're considering moving to the coast from inland Oregon and that would definitely be a reinforcing factor! Thanks in advance!

CB

A caution; if you or your huband has suffered from allergies in the past it is very likely that no matter where you relocate, you will eventually develop "new" allergies to (allergens) in that area. This process may take months to several years, but it is likely to happen. As a long time allergy sufferer, I have lived on the East Coast, Montana and finally on the Oregon Coast for 4 years now and the first two years here were fabulous, then I started being effected seasonally by various spring pollens and God knows what else. My allergies certainly aren't as bad as in other places, but they still exist. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:25 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,447,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish-Pride View Post
A caution; if you or your huband has suffered from allergies in the past it is very likely that no matter where you relocate, you will eventually develop "new" allergies to (allergens) in that area. This process may take months to several years, but it is likely to happen. As a long time allergy sufferer, I have lived on the East Coast, Montana and finally on the Oregon Coast for 4 years now and the first two years here were fabulous, then I started being effected seasonally by various spring pollens and God knows what else. My allergies certainly aren't as bad as in other places, but they still exist. Good luck.
That is exactly what happened to me. I moved to the coast from the Willamette Valley seven years ago. For awhile, there was apparent relief from the grass pollen and other valley allergens. But if your immune system is "hungry" for a histamine response it will find a new trigger in the area you relocate to. There are still wind-pollinated plants on the coast, so...my allergies here are seasonal, by I still have them...or new ones that are no better.

The one place you can get relief from hay fever is in the tropics. Most flowers there have sticky pollen that is transferred by insects and birds rather than dry pollen that is borne on the wind.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 13,627 times
Post Allergies

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyu View Post
I had severe allergies while living in SoCal. Moved to the Oregon coast four years ago and now I am most often, 99.9% of the time, symptom free. Occasionally in spring, when the 'scottish broom' blooms, I experience some sniffles, but not for long and never severe. I have no need for any allergy medications any longer.

There are many great reasons to move to the coast, but definitely add that one near the top of the list.
Where do you live on the Oregon coast? I have severe allergies and have to take allergy meds year round. Am considering a move to Oregon so I can be allergy free and other reasons too.

Thanks,
starrieyed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon