Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 03:53 PM

19 posts, read 41,809 times

Advertisements

I know this is asking a lot from any town, but here it goes...
Is there a town in Oregon with awesome weather, great schools, lots of things to do for little kids/families (outdoor and indoor), SAFE, relatively low(er) cost of living, and as free from contaminants as possible. When I say free of contaminants, I am referring to Superfund sites/things hazardous to ones health, yadda yadda. When the weather sucks, I would hate the only outlet to just be the library. I've found some towns that seem good on paper but there's nothing to do if you can't get outside.
My family and I will be relocating from Missouri where the real estate market has hit the hardest (I've been told) so I have no concept of what a realistic idea of a mortgage/rent would be there. There's always an indoor playground, museum, activity, etc. available for those days we can't be outside, which seems to not be the case everywhere.
Is there a "perfect" town?
Thanks for any and all input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 06:05 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
The weather in Oregon never sucks, unless you are from somewhere warm and expect to wander around barefoot and no shirt. Wear layers, topped by a breathable nylon raincoat. Fashion footwear for women is waterproof boots. The kids won't melt, so bundle them up and pitch them out the door.

As for indoor activities, I only know about Roseburg, which has a Boys and Girls club with a large building, and a YMCA with indoor and outdoor tennis courts and an indoor pool. Outdoors there is Legion Field for league baseball, plus multiple ball diamonds and soccer fields in city parks.

I don't know of any museums, but there is a modern county library in town.

City of Roseburg :: Parks
YMCA of Douglas County
Roseburg Sports Program | Boys & Girls Clubs of the Umpqua Valley
http://www.roseburgsoccer.org/home.php

I don't think Roseburg is in any way exceptional. You will find similar facilities and programs all over the state. It's an economically depressed area, so jobs are hard to come by, but housing prices are comparably lower. You can probably find a decent 3 br 2 bath in a decent neighborhood for $1000 to $1200 per month.

Houses for Rent in Roseburg, OR - RentDigs.com

Old 03-12-2016, 06:14 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
You ruled out the entire state of Oregon when you requested lower cost of living.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:32 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,451,609 times
Here comes a splash of cold water:

SIGH.............I guess spring is almost here with another wave of dreamers wanting to move to Oregon, but at least ten to twenty years too late to find what they really want and find it on the cheap...........

No offense to the OP, but there have been several threads lately from SO CAL folks dreaming of a perfect Oregon town that is way down on the cost of living scale, but has all the amenties one could ask for.

A Tip: Oregon is expensive, and if you want to live here and have a decent lifestyle (mom, dad, two or more kids, a house and the "good stuff") you had better be making upwards of 100k a year.

Sure you can make it cheaper, but you are not going to have that good job, nice house, cars, no worries etc..,,but from what I understand, anything is better than Missouri.

You can be sure that you will find a place, but in reality there are no forgotten hidden gems here that will make all your affordable wildest dreams come true.
Plus, once you get out of Portland, it's like you are in a different world as far as politics, liberalism, outlook on life, etc....

Honestly, if Missouri is good for you except for the real estate and weather, you are not going to find much difference here.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 03-12-2016 at 07:40 PM..

Old 03-12-2016, 07:51 PM

19 posts, read 41,809 times
I have been looking at Oregon for quite a few years, but the market just is pulling out of the crapper so selling our house can actually happen now. When I request a lower cost of living I am, of course, referring to the most inexpensive places in Oregon, not "cheap" by all means. Just not the highest end. We are ok financially and our professions will do well there. The weather can suck anywhere and it's nice to know there's something to do if you are not up to going on an adventure in the rain/snow/heat that day. Missouri has some good, but the bad outweighs it, so we are looking for a big change, possibly next year. The crime rates are practically nonexistent comparing to St. Louis, but are there any areas anyone would recommend to avoid? I'd love to hear areas people have lived and the good, bad, and ugly about them.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:43 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Define lower cost of living and awesome weather.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:48 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Also here is a list of the superfund sites in Oregon.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:05 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The weather in Oregon never sucks, unless you are from somewhere warm and expect to wander around barefoot and no shirt.
I was born in Oregon.
Lived most of my 44 years in Oregon, except when I was in the military.
Oregon weather DOES suck and it sucks a lot of the time.

That said, Oregon is green and beautiful and that is because of the sucky weather.
Sometimes you have to take the bad to get the good but never forget that there will be the bad parts.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:40 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
The only thing bad about the weather here is that sometimes you have to wait for a break in the rain to get the charcoal started in the BBQ.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:48 PM

811 posts, read 1,060,835 times
In answer to the op.

No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon