U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 2,055 times

Advertisements

Hi, Oregon board. I was born and raised in Hawai`i, and after 46 years, I need to leave for a number of reasons. One reason being the vog that negatively affects my health. Another reason is that I have a young child with a diagnosis of ASD, and the HI DOE frustrates me so much that I can't wait to leave.
I've been planning this move for over a year now, and I've been doing as much research as I can while waiting for Fall semester, when I graduate with my Bachelor's Degree.
I wanted to get some input on areas of Yamhill County. I'm not a city girl; I need a rural area with a few acres for my organic gardening and a few farm animals including horses. I decided on Yamhill County because I do not want to be near the coast or the Portland-metro area, but don't want to be too far from hospitals either. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with their kids in SPED and/or programs in the county and can make some suggestions on which cities/school districts would be supportive. I already have a realtor and will be coming out in May to check out some of these cities. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 12:12 PM

8,652 posts, read 8,978,493 times
My sister just retired from teaching elementary school. They mainstream the special needs kids right into the classroom with the others. Small school districts, at least, don't do much for kids with behavior problems.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:58 PM

1,048 posts, read 615,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa_Girl View Post
Hi, Oregon board. I was born and raised in Hawai`i, and after 46 years, I need to leave for a number of reasons. One reason being the vog that negatively affects my health. Another reason is that I have a young child with a diagnosis of ASD, and the HI DOE frustrates me so much that I can't wait to leave.
I've been planning this move for over a year now, and I've been doing as much research as I can while waiting for Fall semester, when I graduate with my Bachelor's Degree.
I wanted to get some input on areas of Yamhill County. I'm not a city girl; I need a rural area with a few acres for my organic gardening and a few farm animals including horses. I decided on Yamhill County because I do not want to be near the coast or the Portland-metro area, but don't want to be too far from hospitals either. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with their kids in SPED and/or programs in the county and can make some suggestions on which cities/school districts would be supportive. I already have a realtor and will be coming out in May to check out some of these cities. Thank you in advance.

You probably need to be in a bigger school district if your child is going to need special education. There's others on here who know more about it than I do, but have heard Beaverton recommended as a good school district for kids with Autism. Of course Beaverton is in Washington county, not Yamhill County. Probably the only school district in Yamhill County that might have the programs you would need would be McMinnville, but would depend on what you need.

Depending on whether you need to find a job locally and what you will do for a living, Yamhill County might be very tough for you to find employment - many people who live in that area have to commute to Portland metro, which can be at least 45 min - 1 hour (and maybe two) one way depending on your start and end points. If you are able to find employment in Yamhill County, it probably won't pay as well as it would in Portland.

What's your budget for housing? I'm assuming you're aware that there aren't very many 5 acre plus properties available due to Oregon land use laws and what is available will start at around $400k for there to be an existing semi-livable dwelling already on the property. Most properties with 5+ acres and a decent stick-built home in this area are currently selling for $550k and up. Anything with 5+ acres and a renovated/updated home are selling for 650-700k and up. Yamhill County is especially expensive for acreage properties (as compared to other parts of Oregon) because of all the winery activity.

Unless you are coming with hundreds of thousands in cash, living off a trust fund, or bringing an SO with you that makes 150k+ a year, you probably won't be able to afford country living in Yamhill County. My suggestion would be to see if there's jobs available in your field in the Portland metro area because jobs can be very hard to come by for new graduates. If you can find a job then pick a suburban school district with good SPED programs and find a convenient to school and work suburban property to rent for awhile until you decide if you really like Oregon since it sounds like you have never actually visited before.

Last edited by patches403; 03-26-2016 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-26-2016, 04:23 PM

12,904 posts, read 28,020,131 times
Yamhill county is wine country. Parts of it are just gorgeous with rolling hills. You need to understand Oregon zoning laws and water rights before you purchase land out here. You can't irrigate a few acres of organic gardening without water rights given to that property by the state of Oregon. I don't work in Yamhill county so I don't have any skin in the game, but make sure your real estate agent understands acreage zoning and water rights.

Oregon has a serious lack of special ed teachers. The shortage is so bad in Salem that they starting paying for teachers to get their Master's in Special Ed (with a required work requirement after graduation). I don't know anything about Spec Ed in Yamhill county, but I would call the local place that does OT/speech for the ASD kiddos and ask them about the schools. Oregon underfunds education so it might not be better than what you are getting now.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:39 AM

Thank you for the replies. I don't think we need more than 5 acres; I won't be selling vegetables or anything like that; just for our own consumption. We just would need a small hobby farm with a tiny modest single-level house for my daughter and I. I am not a rich trust fund kid and I'm not an investor looking to profit from flipping or renting. I just have this one house here that I will sell and while nothing spectacular, it will be more than sufficient. I cannot stay where the vog gives me daily migraines and asthma attacks at night. I don't care if working outside of Portland means less pay; I would rather have more time spent with my daughter than sitting in traffic to make a little more money. My main concern is my daughter having access to at least speech therapy and my being able to breathe.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:24 PM

12,904 posts, read 28,020,131 times
Quote:
Thank you for the replies. I don't think we need more than 5 acres; I won't be selling vegetables or anything like that; just for our own consumption. We just would need a small hobby farm with a tiny modest single-level house for my daughter and I. I am not a rich trust fund kid and I'm not an investor looking to profit from flipping or renting. I just have this one house here that I will sell and while nothing spectacular, it will be more than sufficient. I cannot stay where the vog gives me daily migraines and asthma attacks at night. I don't care if working outside of Portland means less pay; I would rather have more time spent with my daughter than sitting in traffic to make a little more money. My main concern is my daughter having access to at least speech therapy and my being able to breathe.
You can't irrigate more than 1/2 acre of land for domestic use this includes your fruit trees, veggie garden and landscaping. There is a lot of EFU/FF/SA land in Yamhill county which requires farm use. Like I said, please make sure that your agent understands zoning and water rights laws in Oregon so they can help you make a good decision.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:35 PM

Thank you, Silverfall. My agent is a licensed broker-agent. I will check with him on this matter.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:45 PM

865 posts, read 772,570 times
Quote:
Thank you, Silverfall. My agent is a licensed broker-agent. I will check with him on this matter.
SO many agents are clueless about the issues Silverfall is bringing up. You really need to do you own due diligence. Educate yourself, and don't believe everything your agent tells you.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:33 PM

8,652 posts, read 8,978,493 times
Hawaii real estate drips gold. The OP is going to have no trouble affording 5 acres and a house around Mac. Making a living is a separate issue.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:07 AM

1,048 posts, read 615,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Hawaii real estate drips gold. The OP is going to have no trouble affording 5 acres and a house around Mac. Making a living is a separate issue.

OP, do yourself a favor and find a job before you purchase anything. That way if the only job you can find in your field is in downtown Portland, at least you will know that before you buy something that ends up being a 3 hour RT commute to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon