Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 08:58 PM

22 posts, read 28,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
When he said "rock hammer" I don't think he was talking about a hand held jackhammer. There are hydraulically powered rock hammers that fit on the boom of a backhoe. If you get into hard rock, you will need one. Or you can hire somebody to drill and blast a hole. There should be somebody at the nearest quarry who can take care of that for you. Once the rock is broken up, you can chunk it out with a backhoe, preferably with a grapple on the bucket.
If the gig requires heavy artillery, I will definitely be going an alternate route. Septic is not my first choice anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 09:36 PM

25 posts, read 47,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Wanzer View Post
This is an interesting thread. 10 years ago I never would have guessed that poop and water would be in my top-10 list of interesting topics.

I am fine with composting toilets. I was in scouting for decades so a latrine is no big deal and it sure is better that those blue porta-poties. :-/ The wife and boy have never done any "non-standard" sanitation other than the blue-box variety at events so they aren't so keen on composting yet.

Because I want them to be comfortable, I am looking at materials and backhoe rental and I think a septic system, self installed, should come in around $3k (not including permit) does that sound about right to everyone else?

I would agree that septic install should come after a well, but I don't plan on digging. Permaculture design, rain catch from several small buildings, and 3+ 5k gal buried/partially buried tanks (with thermal cover) to start with should do for water, though I will look at extending that in the near future.

An assumption is that the frost line doesn't go lower than 36 inches in the area between Sprague River and Bonanza. Does that sound about right?

My biggest concern at the moment is communications, but I'll ask that question in a separate post. ;-)
Jon, We're going to be talking to a septic guy the first weekend of May and I'll post what he has to say about the septic install. The realtor we spoke with when looking at the property said to figure roughly 5k to have it installed. In speaking with the county, there is a perk test fee with them of 780.00 and then you have to have the holes dug....me being naive, thought...pay someone to dig holes???pffft...we can do that...um, we could but definitely not with a shovel...they have to be 2'x4'x5'...and a couple three to find a suitable spot. SO...we were quoted approx 250.00 for the guy to come out and dig them for us to get the perk test. THEN...the septic permit is 1100 and some change before you even dig...so I'm guessing we're going to come in at 5-6k. Realtor was pretty much dead on with the well guestimate...he said 13-15 and the well company estimated 340ft at 13100.00.
IF you decided to go septic system, keep in mind that once it's in, you have a year to get a house on and connected or face re-inspection when you do put the house on. If you merely get the perk test done and septic approved but don't put the septic in...you're good to go anytime you're ready to install without and re-inspections.
The county has all the guidelines if you want to install it yourself, but it's a bit daunting looking....lol.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbChil View Post
Jon, We're going to be talking to a septic guy the first weekend of May and I'll post what he has to say about the septic install. The realtor we spoke with when looking at the property said to figure roughly 5k to have it installed. In speaking with the county, there is a perk test fee with them of 780.00 and then you have to have the holes dug....me being naive, thought...pay someone to dig holes???pffft...we can do that...um, we could but definitely not with a shovel...they have to be 2'x4'x5'...and a couple three to find a suitable spot. SO...we were quoted approx 250.00 for the guy to come out and dig them for us to get the perk test. THEN...the septic permit is 1100 and some change before you even dig...so I'm guessing we're going to come in at 5-6k. Realtor was pretty much dead on with the well guestimate...he said 13-15 and the well company estimated 340ft at 13100.00.
IF you decided to go septic system, keep in mind that once it's in, you have a year to get a house on and connected or face re-inspection when you do put the house on. If you merely get the perk test done and septic approved but don't put the septic in...you're good to go anytime you're ready to install without and re-inspections.
The county has all the guidelines if you want to install it yourself, but it's a bit daunting looking....lol.
Very cool! Thank you. I will be looking forward to your post.

Unfortunately right now everything is academic until we have a property secured. We will be up in mid May to hopefully take care of that. ;-)

~Jon

Old 04-21-2016, 05:37 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Wanzer View Post
If the gig requires heavy artillery, I will definitely be going an alternate route. Septic is not my first choice anyway.
You said you were going to bury a 5000 gallon cistern. That is what I was thinking of. It's a pretty big hole.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
You said you were going to bury a 5000 gallon cistern. That is what I was thinking of. It's a pretty big hole.
Buried, above ground insulated/housed, or a combination thereof. It all depends on the cost comparison for the materials and equipment as well as the needs of the site.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:08 PM

198 posts, read 344,329 times
One 5,000-gallon cistern? Wow! Were you going to get that filled by a service? The one I mentioned doesn't have a truck that could fill that -- or probably even half of that -- in one go unless they brought a couple of trucks. They'd have to make a dedicated trip to you and that might be pricey. I guess you'd need to have it topped up frequently each month?

Old 04-22-2016, 02:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
5000 gal will last a couple months. We (2) use between 7 - 12 gal / day, but one of my 4 person families uses 80 - 120 gal / day. Septics are usually sized for 200 gal / day (depending on number of plumbing fixtures.)

A semi truck tanker can legally haul about 6,000 gal, (at density of water) but a tandem bobtail, only 3000 - 3800 gal

I make 20,000 gal underground tanks, but use rain and gray water to fill them. It is not that big of a hole; 14 cubic yards or 1.5 dump truck loads of dirt. About 1/4th the size of a basement excavation.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:03 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
The guy who does my water deliveries if the well runs dry only carries 1800 gallons at a time, which puts his GVW at around 19,000 to 20,000 lbs. If he stays under 22,000 he doesn't have to stop at weigh stations.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandjulie View Post
One 5,000-gallon cistern? Wow! Were you going to get that filled by a service? The one I mentioned doesn't have a truck that could fill that -- or probably even half of that -- in one go unless they brought a couple of trucks. They'd have to make a dedicated trip to you and that might be pricey. I guess you'd need to have it topped up frequently each month?
I have been looking at several sizes and will most likely have a combination of several "systems" for catchment, holding, and filtration.

Mt Mazama Spring Water deliver up to 1000 at $0.50 per gal + $75 delivery to the Bly Mtn. area. I see that as a maybe to get things started, but certainly not a long term solution.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
The guy who does my water deliveries if the well runs dry only carries 1800 gallons at a time, which puts his GVW at around 19,000 to 20,000 lbs. If he stays under 22,000 he doesn't have to stop at weigh stations.
If you don't mind my asking, what does your guy charge for a load?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon