Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 09:57 PM

4 posts, read 10,418 times

Advertisements

Hello All! This is my first post here. I'm impressed by all the friendly people.
I'm an over 55 lady that will be moving to Oregon very soon. My daughter moved there this month and wants me there ASAP. I flew out there when they got there. I can't wait to get back there. My daughter's family are in Dexter, I'm considering Lowell. Me and my daughter came to the southwest(first Phoenix, AZ) from Minnesota. One extreme to the other. I've been telling myself Oregon will be the in between moderate climate place we're looking for. Any suggestions? What should I know about Lowell? I am now acustomed to anything below 78 degrees is winter. Maybe I should be more in the city, like Eugene? I've been very independent, but time has changed that. I mean to say that I think I might fit in with the artsy types I see more in Oregon. I'm just wondering where that would be exactly. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 10:06 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
I believe you'll find more artsy types in Eugene. Lowell is a very small way out suburb of Eugene. I've seen it and there doesn't seem to be much there but some housing.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:16 PM

Thanks Waterlily. That's the way I was thinking. But what do you think about Florence. I think it's too cold. But it'd be all new to me. I might like it.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:20 PM

I'm trying to stay open to new things. Anyone have anything more to say about different cities in OR that might be something I've overlooked?

Old 08-31-2007, 10:15 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
I don't think Florence would be too cold. I've found Florence to be glorious. The 55+ population there is substantial so you'd have many people in your demographic. Not sure about the artsiness of Florence but I do know there's a thriving arts scene up and down the Coast. Many artists and artisans live there because they find the beauty and quality of life inspiring.

As for not being accustomed to temps under 78 degrees in winter, well, prepare yourself. The Coast will be more moderate, but it can get below freezing in the Valley.

There's a lot of communities in Oregon that would meet your criteria but it sounds like you want/need to be near your daughter.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:19 AM

Thank you bobmulk. It happens that today I'm waiting to hear(by 6PM) if my offer was taken on a little place very near my daughter. So, it seems you are right about my wanting to be near my daughter. I let her decide, I haven't even seen it yet. Until I read your post I didn't really realize how much I wanted to be near her. We can help each other.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:58 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
You're very welcome, Ixide1. I hope it works out for you. Welcome to Oregon!!

I think you'll find the weather wonderful. Yes, there's extremes, but it's not like the Midwest where you're socked in with five feet of snow. It can get cold, but that's what the heater's for, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon