Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,003 times

Advertisements

Spring 2017 I am transferring to Medford, OR. I am bringing my wife and two boys (2 and 8 yrs old). I went through dozens of internet posts about Medford, and still am stuck at that 50/50 level of uncertainty. I ask all parents to give me their input. Is Medford OR a family friendly place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 04:25 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
I am never quite sure what "family friendly" mean in this context. Are there other families with kids in the area? Sure. Are there fun things to do with kids? Sure. This is a relatively small metro area and you might have to find your own fun. Lake of the Woods. Emigrant Park. Lithia Park. Bear Creek Park. Hanley Living Farm.

Are there trolls under bridges that eat children? No, as a matter of fact.

Some of the area schools are better than others. In general the east side of Medford and Ashland have higher rated schools, but I'd take school rankings list with a large dose of salt. I do not believe we have any regular posters on here that have school-aged kids.

http://www.tripbuzz.com/things-to-do...ids/medford-or

Old 07-20-2016, 04:55 PM

Thank you, I'll look up all the outdoor places. The general info about schools you mentioned is something that internet will not tell me, and I do appreciate the honest input. I noticed Medford and surroundings look very beautiful, however, I also read about drugs and gangs, rapes and more drugs. For a small metro area, police seems to be very busy there. Hence my 50/50 on safety of my family.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T. View Post
Thank you, I'll look up all the outdoor places. The general info about schools you mentioned is something that internet will not tell me, and I do appreciate the honest input. I noticed Medford and surroundings look very beautiful, however, I also read about drugs and gangs, rapes and more drugs. For a small metro area, police seems to be very busy there. Hence my 50/50 on safety of my family.
While there is some gang activity here, it is not out of scale for other towns on the I5 corridor and pretty much confined to certain areas. The crime tends to be car break ins - although not what I'd call a break in, which involves someone breaking glass, these tend to be where someone opens the door of an unlocked car and steals stuff out of it. And people leave stupid things in cars - laptops, guns, purses, wallets, money, expensive camera gear. Likewise in the winter car theft goes up because people go outside, turn the car on to warm up and then go back in the house, leaving the keys in the ignition. Other types of petty theft and burglary. There is the occasional home invasion type robbery, but that is almost always between drug dealers. Drugs are a problem here the same as most of Oregon. It used to be all meth but lately the heroin/opioid trade is starting to be the big thing - it is what drives the crime.

On the other hand, the area is extremely pot friendly - the current rules say you can use pot in private, but I see it publicly and I've seen the police ignore it, somewhat to my surprise.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:18 PM

Thank you very much. All your info is very appreciated.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:26 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Jennifer Elliott lives in Medford. In my book, that is a positive for the town...

Old 07-21-2016, 08:24 AM

991 posts, read 1,520,064 times
Yes, I would consider the Rogue Valley family friendly. With any kid these days it's important to get them into activities / sports to keep them on the straight and narrow, and the Medford area certainly has plenty of opportunities for that.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Jennifer Elliott lives in Medford. In my book, that is a positive for the town...
Lol, no idea who that is, Hawk, and when I google it, the top links are to a gynecologist in Atlanta, GA. I am guessing that is not who you mean.

The most famous name I've ever heard associated with Medford was Ginger Rogers. Which probably tells you how out of touch with TV and movie actors I am.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:22 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Lol, no idea who that is, Hawk, and when I google it, the top links are to a gynecologist in Atlanta, GA. I am guessing that is not who you mean.

The most famous name I've ever heard associated with Medford was Ginger Rogers. Which probably tells you how out of touch with TV and movie actors I am.
Try this.

Jennifer Elliott – KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

Old 07-21-2016, 12:47 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,064 times
Also for the kids, it should be mentioned, that not only are there outdoor sports, but with the area being agricultural you will have 4-H, FFA, access to equestrian sports, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon