Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 01:23 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times

Advertisements

Around Salem Dallas and Monmouth are nice towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 01:55 PM

5,461 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
...................... I drove through one town of 2,000 and they had 16 churches listed at the city limits. Pretty obvious those folks don't play well with others.
I know that town. Terrifying!!

At least you made it through safely.

I was abducted and was forced to eat Mrs. Anderson's Creamy Brussels Sprouts casserole at the First Lutheran Church potluck dinner.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:24 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I know that town. Terrifying!!

At least you made it through safely.

I was abducted and was forced to eat Mrs. Anderson's Creamy Brussels Sprouts casserole at the First Lutheran Church potluck dinner.
Are we anti- Lutheran in Oregon? Did the Lutherans poison your casserole?

Old 07-31-2016, 09:03 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Are we anti- Lutheran in Oregon? Did the Lutherans poison your casserole?
He could have mentioned the lime jello, cottage cheese and shredded carrot dish at the Methodist church potluck.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Without knowing what you consider low cost of living, or weather that's good with more specifics, it's too hard to answer. Plus, what amenities do you need?

There are a lot of nice towns in southern OR on the coast, like Brookings, or inland a bit, like Grants Pass, with what I think is decent weather, and I don't like extreme weather. Those are towns I visit from where I live in far northern CA.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:25 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
When you compare the COL index of most of Oregon's towns they are a little higher than the national average. The national average is based at 100 on the index. Boise's index is 107, Salem is 104, Portland is 126, Eugene is 120, Grants Pass is 104 and Medford is 106.

So your not going to save much by moving to these towns from Boise

Old 08-01-2016, 07:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,777 times
I've heard that it changed. We are definitely going to visit several times before making a decision. What about Lebanon? Newport?
Every place changes. Not always for the best.
I lived in Boise several years ago and it had really changed. The whole Treasure Valley area is growing like crazy. The traffic is getting incredible.
I'm originally from Southern CA and look what happened there! Then I moved to LV and IMO it's another CA!
We won't need jobs so a small quiet town would be nice with shopping, etc. nearby.
I appreciate the input.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:41 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
I've heard that it changed. We are definitely going to visit several times before making a decision. What about Lebanon? Newport?
I lived in Boise several years ago and it had really changed. The whole Treasure Valley area is growing like crazy. The traffic is getting incredible.
I'm originally from Southern CA and look what happened there! Then I moved to LV and IMO it's another CA!
We won't need jobs so a small quiet town would be nice with shopping, etc. nearby.
I appreciate the input.
You may like Newport as its small but has Freddy's, some cute shops, restaurants and so much natural beauty and sea life. It's about an hour from Corvallis, which is an awesome college town(OSU).

Old 08-01-2016, 08:58 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Lebanon is fine. Close enough to Albany for the things you can't get in Lebanon, and sort of halfway between Eugene and Salem for things you can't get in Albany.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:10 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
I appreciate the input.
Make sure if you're going to look at Oregon coastal cities that you spend at least a couple of weeks visiting in winter before you decide to make a permanent move. It takes a special breed to be able to live on the Coast long-term - there's reasons so few people make the Coast their permanent home and the weather is one of the biggest of those reasons.

As for recommendations, the most affordable parts of Western Oregon are around the Central and Southern parts of the Willamette Valley, say around Albany and South of Eugene. I really like the area around McMinnville - it gets somewhat more affordable the further West and South you get from the city, say around Sheridan. West of Salem is probably also more affordable, like around Dallas, Monmouth, etc. Basically, the cheapest areas of Western Oregon are going to be the areas outside of the range of a daily commute to Portland metro, Salem, Corvallis or Eugene.

Have you looked at Western Washington? As long as you stay away from the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia area and the Vancouver area, Washington is probably more affordable than Oregon.

Last edited by patches403; 08-02-2016 at 12:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon