Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:02 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times

Advertisements

In college towns preferably?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 11:05 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
I'm sure there are.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I'm sure there are.
Which towns? Which neighborhoods are nice? Please be hospitable, I'm a refugee.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:45 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Really the only towns that could be considered "college towns" in Oregon are Eugene (University of Oregon) and Corvallis (Oregon State University). You can find houses in Eugene (a few in Corvallis) in that price range, but watch the neighborhood carefully.

It depends on your criteria. If you want downtown, on the transit line, that might be harder (particularly if you want to stay out of the student neighborhoods).

Old 08-23-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Really the only towns that could be considered "college towns" in Oregon are Eugene (University of Oregon) and Corvallis (Oregon State University). You can find houses in Eugene (a few in Corvallis) in that price range, but watch the neighborhood carefully.

It depends on your criteria. If you want downtown, on the transit line, that might be harder (particularly if you want to stay out of the student neighborhoods).
I don't care who lives there as long as they pay the rent and they don't burn down the house, I would still live where I do now. Doesn't country fair in Eugene have all the hippies and the naked women?

Old 08-23-2016, 12:35 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I don't care who lives there as long as they pay the rent and they don't burn down the house, I would still live where I do now. Doesn't country fair in Eugene have all the hippies and the naked women?
The Country Fair is actually not in Eugene at all but in the neighboring town of Veneta and yes, there are plenty of hippies but not usually naked women. Topless quite often though.
Interesting place.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
The Country Fair is actually not in Eugene at all but in the neighboring town of Veneta and yes, there are plenty of hippies but not usually naked women. Topless quite often though.
Interesting place.
I think I remember one even being attractive

Old 08-23-2016, 12:42 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
I might throw a couple more on the list of college towns to check out:

Monmouth - Western Oregon University
Forest Grove - Pacific University (becoming more and more a suburb of Portland/Hillsboro though)
Newberg - George Fox University

None of these are the same caliber of college town as Eugene and Corvallis (large campuses, NCAA sports, cultural activities). Corvallis is arguably the most quintessential college town in Oregon because of the large percentage of residents who are associated with the university in some way. It's also probably the most expensive, housing-wise.

EDIT: just to add, these are all in the Willamette Valley, and "cool climate" is very subjective.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
I might throw a couple more on the list of college towns to check out:

Monmouth - Western Oregon University
Forest Grove - Pacific University (becoming more and more a suburb of Portland/Hillsboro though)
Newberg - George Fox University

None of these are the same caliber of college town as Eugene and Corvallis (large campuses, NCAA sports, cultural activities). Corvallis is arguably the most quintessential college town in Oregon because of the large percentage of residents who are associated with the university in some way. It's also probably the most expensive, housing-wise.

EDIT: just to add, these are all in the Willamette Valley, and "cool climate" is very subjective.
90 degrees max

Old 08-23-2016, 01:15 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
90 degrees max
Nowhere in the Willamette Valley then. Actually, you'd have to either be at the coast or in the mountains above 3500' to get that climate.

Have you considered Victoria, BC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon