U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,211 times
I would say move to Yachats. You will be in the majority,with your lifestyle. And everyone there is very tolerant. There is a hospital 30 minutes to the north, that is part of a "system", Samaritain. The kids from Yachats go to school in Waldport. Do a search on Waldport High School, (and this is for all the posts I have read that say the schools here are bad) Last year Waldport High was ranks in the top 10% of high schools, according to US magizine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,088 times
Post to unenlightened

[quote=Lootmeister;2906439]Can I ask you a question without your firing off at me?

What does any of your request have to do with being a lesbien?

Why do you feel that you need to announce that?

Just curious.[/quote
Have you any idea that lesbians are oppressed and discriminated upon in this country? Do you follow any news? Legislation? Do you know rapists can marry, pedophiles and murderers can marry...The only group in the USA that can't are gay people. Did you ever hear any of this?
Just curious.
By the way, what it has to do with being a lesbian is EVERYTHING.
AND, she didn't "announce" it. She stated it.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:12 AM

16 posts, read 28,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We also have the mysterious "Happy Yellow Signs" in Eugene. Someone, for many years, has been putting up these yellow signs with positive messages on them all over town. They just pop up mysteriously and no one knows who does this. Occasionally there's a news story about them. They are so awesome.
These signs? everything is ok | caution tape | activist kits

Old 09-19-2009, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 920 times
momto6 - I am writing this a year and a half after your original posting, and I am wondering what decisions you ended up making. My family and I (lesbian moms, 4 kids) are now thinking of moving to Oregon, and we would love to know how it worked out for you.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:20 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,124,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj7run View Post
I would say if you are looking for areas that would be accepting of you then I would look in the Portland area or Eugene. Both cities are diverse, and more accepting. Oregon has a lot of smaller country communties that are not so accepting.

You'll find great disparity between conservative/liberal in OR. However in Portland suburbia & Eugene, you'll find enough open mindedness to go about your life as you need to.

Not sure about Salem/Albany/Corvallis. The latter is usually depicted as liberal but... I'm no expert.

Personally, my fave recommendations for relocating are:

Siverton for proximity to Portland (hear it's not a good commute but it's a good town, etc & not the worst commute like it would be from let's say Eugene)

Eugene or adjacent areas like Pleasant Hill, Lorane, Junction City. Great opps for medical professionals.
Careers at PeaceHealth in Eugene, Oregon (http://www.peacehealth.org/oregon/Careers/eugene.htm - broken link)
Home - Job Opportunities
Classified Jobs
Oregon Medical Group || Be well.
Portland OR: Health Careers at OHSU, Nursing Jobs, Pharmacist Jobs (http://www.ohsu.edu/ohsuedu/about/transformation/pcf/careers.cfm - broken link)

Good luck & welcome in your imminent arrival,

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 09-19-2009 at 05:27 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 03:03 AM

234 posts, read 402,782 times
Lots of people assume the smaller "redneck" communities are not accepting of gays but this is not true. I think most of Oregon is pretty liberal when it comes to that, in my opinion. I have lived all over the state. I know more lesbians in Central Oregon than I do in the valley, surprisingly enough. But I guess I know more gay men in the valley (Portland specifically).

I recommend SW Portland or Eugene. Eugene is VERY gay-friendly. Lots of hippies down there too. Plenty of nice people, plenty of culture, and there are some nice smaller communities outside of town where I'm sure you could find a house with a nice big yard. Lots of rain, clouds though! Get ready for gloomy, rainy fall, winter & spring. Summer is the only good season in the willamette valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon