Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 07:11 PM

653 posts, read 1,792,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Sorry to hop onto this thread, but we're going to be staying in the Black Butte Ranch area for the eclipse (only place I could find a room, and this was last year when I was making our reservations). Totality there should be about 1 minute, any thoughts on whether it's worth hopping in the car and getting closer to the center-line?
Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Black Butte Ranch, OR

It looks like 1 min and 21 seconds.
The most any point in Oregon will get is 2 minutes.
So is it really worth, putting up with the hassles of being on the road, for an additional 39 seconds of totality, and possibly a slightly darker sky (do to being further from the areas that are not in totality).

One article I read suggested that the most interesting view is actually on the edge of the totality zone.
The lanes going from the center, toward the edge, are not nearly as likely to be in gridlock.
Not that I am suggesting doing this, I suggest staying put, and taking in the view from within walking distance of the room you are staying in.
A relaxed view for 1 minute and 21 seconds is likely a better experience than a non relaxed view for 2 minutes.

I am staying home, although I have multiple friends in Independence, I could stay with (all weekend, so there would be no commute on Monday morning).
But since I have family members planning on visiting me that same weekend (driving down from Portland), I think it would be rude for me to stay in Independence.
For me it would only be an additional 20 seconds of totality, viewing from Independence vs Home (or work).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 07:48 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,907,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Black Butte Ranch, OR

It looks like 1 min and 21 seconds.
The most any point in Oregon will get is 2 minutes.
So is it really worth, putting up with the hassles of being on the road, for an additional 39 seconds of totality, and possibly a slightly darker sky (do to being further from the areas that are not in totality).

One article I read suggested that the most interesting view is actually on the edge of the totality zone.
The lanes going from the center, toward the edge, are not nearly as likely to be in gridlock.
Not that I am suggesting doing this, I suggest staying put, and taking in the view from within walking distance of the room you are staying in.
A relaxed view for 1 minute and 21 seconds is likely a better experience than a non relaxed view for 2 minutes.

I am staying home, although I have multiple friends in Independence, I could stay with (all weekend, so there would be no commute on Monday morning).
But since I have family members planning on visiting me that same weekend (driving down from Portland), I think it would be rude for me to stay in Independence.
For me it would only be an additional 20 seconds of totality, viewing from Independence vs Home (or work).
I'll see what the traffic situation is like. I'll probably lean towards staying put unless it's deserted and the fire danger has dropped significantly. If I were by myself I'd probably hike to the top of Black Butte for the eclipse, but I'll be with my wife and daughters and I don't think it's a doable hike for them.

Once the eclipse is over, any suggestions on things to see in the area?

Old 08-04-2017, 12:35 AM

26,637 posts, read 36,627,544 times
^ Definitely drive down to Crater Lake if you get the chance. Could be worth going over to the Steens if you've got the time.

It's August; the fire danger isn't going anywhere. It's about time for the annual thunderstorms to begin, so expect lightning strikes to cause even more fires. What would worry me about the eclipse situation provided you could get me anywhere near Central Oregon during that time is that with all those people camping and whatever, there's bound to be at least one who's irresponsible with smoking materials or campfires (somehow I think there will be a few who'll start campfires even if it's banned during that time, and who's to stop them?) and then it's up in smoke.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:00 AM

15,382 posts, read 9,004,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
I fail to see how heavy smoke would be good for viewing relatively dim light from stars and a totally eclipsed sun. The smoke is thick enough that we can't see the mountains from Bend.
It wouldn't be good for that, but it could be great for watching the partial eclipse. Possibly without eye protection if the smoke is thick enough. I don't think anyone would choose to watch it that way, but if it happens, it wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 7,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
If you're not too far away from the path of totality, then you won't miss out by just staying home or camping nearby. The eclipse will attain 99% of totality in Portland, so staying within forty miles of either side of the path of totality means you'll almost entirely enjoy the eclipse while (hopefully) avoiding the crush of eclipse tourists.
Anything less than 100% is like watching the Super Bowl from the parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Oregon eclipse weather report:

The expectation is for 2 million people to show up from Washington and California for the eclipse. That's almost half the population of the state. Madras alone is expecting 200,000 people, in a town of 20,000.

Don't expect to find groceries that weekend. Don't expect to be able to get into a restaurant. Don't expect to be able to find a public bathroom, and sewage treatment plants will be overwhelmed. Roads will be so congested they will be impassable to emergency vehicles. People will die from medical emergencies that could be easily handled under normal condition.

Bring your FEMA emergency kit: food and water for 3 days, $500 in cash because the ATMs will be empty, sun screen, and any medications you need.

The governor has activated the National Guard, which has facilities for dealing with displaced people.
This ^^ Other than the fact the National Guard was activated for Fire, not displacement centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm south of the eclipse zone. So I have to drive north. If I go to Lincoln Beach, I will drive overnight and arrive around sunrise. If I go to Madras, I will go the day before and sleep in my car overnight. I'm not going to get there 24 hours in advance, but I will give myself a lot of extra time to get there. I'll also have alternative viewing locations picked out, incase traffic is too much. As for parking I will park anywhere, including on the shoulder of the road if necessary. I'm also going to scout out some good viewing locations around Mt. Jefferson. I'm thinking the mountain areas could be a good place to get a good view and beat the heat.

This tops all the posts I have read online as the absolute best advice for what NOT TO DO!!!!

You need to plan ahead, come early, stay in place, and leave late.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PUL OFF THE ROAD TO WATCH THE ECLIPSE!!!!!!! This is a HUGE fire hazard and I hope anyone doing so gets a huge fine or worse.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC7NEC View Post
Anything less than 100% is like watching the Super Bowl from the parking lot.

This ^^ Other than the fact the National Guard was activated for Fire, not displacement centers.

This tops all the posts I have read online as the absolute best advice for what NOT TO DO!!!!

You need to plan ahead, come early, stay in place, and leave late.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PUL OFF THE ROAD TO WATCH THE ECLIPSE!!!!!!! This is a HUGE fire hazard and I hope anyone doing so gets a huge fine or worse.
How is pulling off the road a fire hazard? I am planning ahead. I believe I will have a better chance to see the eclipse then people who are tied to one place. If the fires are bad, I'll head for Lincoln Beach. If the final weather forecast for the coast is cloudy, I'll drive to Madras. I'm going to see the eclipse one way or another.

But I am happy that most of you are planning to come early and leave late. That will leave the roads clear for me to get in and out relatively quickly.

I do agree with you analogy that watching a partial eclipse is like watching the Super Bowl from the parking lot. That's probably the best analogy I have heard for it.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:12 AM

26,637 posts, read 36,627,544 times
If the smoke is thick enough for you to view the eclipse without eye protection, you'll be pretty busy choking on it.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If the smoke is thick enough for you to view the eclipse without eye protection, you'll be pretty busy choking on it.
That sounds like a typical summer day in Central Oregon.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:27 PM

7 posts, read 7,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
How is pulling off the road a fire hazard? I am planning ahead. I believe I will have a better chance to see the eclipse then people who are tied to one place. If the fires are bad, I'll head for Lincoln Beach. If the final weather forecast for the coast is cloudy, I'll drive to Madras. I'm going to see the eclipse one way or another.

But I am happy that most of you are planning to come early and leave late. That will leave the roads clear for me to get in and out relatively quickly.

I do agree with you analogy that watching a partial eclipse is like watching the Super Bowl from the parking lot. That's probably the best analogy I have heard for it.
Oregon is currently in the dryest spell in history with extreme fire danger. Pulling off the road with a hot tailpipe is a recipe for catastrophe.

if you honestly think that anytime after Sunday driving from the Coast to Madras or any other options clearly you have not actually planned ahead. Planning ahead would mean you would know that the state expects traffic EVERYWHERE in the path of totality or close to be at a standstill by Sunday.

Not trying to be rude at all. I get the feeling this is something important to you and I'm honestly thinking you're setting yourself up for a major disappointment with your plan.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC7NEC View Post
Oregon is currently in the dryest spell in history with extreme fire danger. Pulling off the road with a hot tailpipe is a recipe for catastrophe.

if you honestly think that anytime after Sunday driving from the Coast to Madras or any other options clearly you have not actually planned ahead. Planning ahead would mean you would know that the state expects traffic EVERYWHERE in the path of totality or close to be at a standstill by Sunday.

Not trying to be rude at all. I get the feeling this is something important to you and I'm honestly thinking you're setting yourself up for a major disappointment with your plan.
Thanks. No offence taken, but I think I have a pretty damn good plan. On Sunday morning I'll be looking over the latest weather forecast and traffic reports, and deciding where to go. That will give me 24 hours to get into position. I'm pretty confident that will work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon