Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 02:04 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Oregon eclipse weather report:

The expectation is for 2 million people to show up from Washington and California for the eclipse. That's almost half the population of the state. Madras alone is expecting 200,000 people, in a town of 20,000.

Don't expect to find groceries that weekend. Don't expect to be able to get into a restaurant. Don't expect to be able to find a public bathroom, and sewage treatment plants will be overwhelmed. Roads will be so congested they will be impassable to emergency vehicles. People will die from medical emergencies that could be easily handled under normal condition.

Bring your FEMA emergency kit: food and water for 3 days, $500 in cash because the ATMs will be empty, sun screen, and any medications you need.

The governor has activated the National Guard, which has facilities for dealing with displaced people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 12:35 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
If everyone follows the advice being given (by local governments, police, etc ...), the roads will be clear, on eclipse day, because everyone will already be in (or close enough to walk to) their viewing location.
Lines, in the totality zone, at the stores, will be short (or non existent) because people will all be stocked up on Groceries, gas, and any thing else we need for a few days before, eclipse day, and a few days after.

(I am not sure "Cloudy Dayz" is the best user name for discussing the eclipse).
LOL, I didn't think about that.

I didn't get a chance to take that trip to scout out other viewing locations. I'll probably do that this week, or next. But on Saturday morning I was at Lincoln Beach, and it was beautiful. Not a cloud in the sky, all day long. Not even in the early morning. If it could be like that on Eclipse Day, that is where I would like to be. We will have to wait and see what the weather forecast will be for Eclipse Day.

As for the traffic. It's certainly possible that the traffic predictions could scare people into traveling very early, or even scare them into not coming at all. But I kind of doubt it. This time of the year a lot of the roads are packed with tourists, even without the eclipse. With all the extra visitors it's going to be a mess. But I'm pretty sure everybody will be able to get to a viewing location one way or another. It just might take a lot of time.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:47 PM

812 posts, read 1,061,971 times
temps are punching through 100degF already at the start of August in the Central Oregon viewing zone.
Should be an interesting viewing situation with temps likely over 100degF, smoke from all their campfires(or wildfires they accidentally set), and limited(if any)water in much of the viewing area.

I am getting messages from friends outside of the area that think they can just breeze into Bend, then whip up to an optimal viewing area that morning. No scouting ahead of time....other than asking me for a "really good location for viewing", after they go kayaking in the Bend canals.

I may just stay home, put on the eclipse glasses and just pretend I am seeing it....

Old 07-31-2017, 01:57 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
LOL, I didn't think about that.

I didn't get a chance to take that trip to scout out other viewing locations. I'll probably do that this week, or next. But on Saturday morning I was at Lincoln Beach, and it was beautiful. Not a cloud in the sky, all day long. Not even in the early morning. If it could be like that on Eclipse Day, that is where I would like to be. We will have to wait and see what the weather forecast will be for Eclipse Day.

As for the traffic. It's certainly possible that the traffic predictions could scare people into traveling very early, or even scare them into not coming at all. But I kind of doubt it. This time of the year a lot of the roads are packed with tourists, even without the eclipse. With all the extra visitors it's going to be a mess. But I'm pretty sure everybody will be able to get to a viewing location one way or another. It just might take a lot of time.
Where on the coast do you live? Do you live in the totality zone? 101 is likely to be in gridlock going from outside the zone into the zone. Routes between the Coast and the Valley will be fine IF the coast, and coast range, have clear weather. Otherwise it is likely to be gridlock.

I was being sarcastic, about there being no traffic, due to everyone following the advice being given, and getting to their viewing location a day or more ahead of time.
I fully expect roads to be gridlocked, and store lines to be long.
So I really do recommend being at your viewing location 24 hours ahead. Although the route from the Coast to Madras is all in the Totality zone, parts of it are on the South edge of the zone.
You might want to go no further than a good rest stop on the valley side of the coastal range.
Do NOT assume that spots you find open this weekend, will be open on Eclipse day. Many may already be full.
There may be no parking at rest stops.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:00 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
I'm planning to be in position at Warm Springs by Friday evening, packing big coolers full of food and beer, plus several gallons of drinking water, lawn chairs and maybe a shade canopy. Think: a several day tailgate party. I'm hoping traffic will clear out enough by Tuesday afternoon to head home, but I may stay over until Wednesday morning. I expect Monday afternoon traffic will be a mess, best avoided if possible.

If you are just looking for a parking spot, check out schools. They are closed for the summer, so the parking lots will be empty, and they are generally well marked.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Where on the coast do you live? Do you live in the totality zone? 101 is likely to be in gridlock going from outside the zone into the zone. Routes between the Coast and the Valley will be fine IF the coast, and coast range, have clear weather. Otherwise it is likely to be gridlock.

I was being sarcastic, about there being no traffic, due to everyone following the advice being given, and getting to their viewing location a day or more ahead of time.
I fully expect roads to be gridlocked, and store lines to be long.
So I really do recommend being at your viewing location 24 hours ahead. Although the route from the Coast to Madras is all in the Totality zone, parts of it are on the South edge of the zone.
You might want to go no further than a good rest stop on the valley side of the coastal range.
Do NOT assume that spots you find open this weekend, will be open on Eclipse day. Many may already be full.
There may be no parking at rest stops.
I'm south of the eclipse zone. So I have to drive north. If I go to Lincoln Beach, I will drive overnight and arrive around sunrise. If I go to Madras, I will go the day before and sleep in my car overnight. I'm not going to get there 24 hours in advance, but I will give myself a lot of extra time to get there. I'll also have alternative viewing locations picked out, incase traffic is too much. As for parking I will park anywhere, including on the shoulder of the road if necessary. I'm also going to scout out some good viewing locations around Mt. Jefferson. I'm thinking the mountain areas could be a good place to get a good view and beat the heat.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:37 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
There will be a solar eclipse visible in Oregon on Aug. 21, 2017 along a band from approximately Salem to Ontario Oregon. We are considering vacationing in Oregon for that event.<>
Could be fun. Probably a great place to visit in any event. Don't count on seeing anything after such a long trip, though. Weather can be an issue anywhere along the line. South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee are closest to you. Kansas is the nearest place with a good chance of clear skies.
Here's a good map for everywhere.
USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier

Old 08-01-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Could be fun. Probably a great place to visit in any event. Don't count on seeing anything after such a long trip, though. Weather can be an issue anywhere along the line. South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee are closest to you. Kansas is the nearest place with a good chance of clear skies.
Here's a good map for everywhere.
USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier
Um, Kansas is mostly out of the eclipse path, except for one small corner of the state. Many experts have already determined that Madras has the best chance for clear skies in the country. That's why people are traveling from all over the world to come to Oregon to view the eclipse here. The advantage of viewing in the midwest would be a slightly longer eclipse, but that would be offset by chance of thunderstorms.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:58 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm south of the eclipse zone. So I have to drive north. If I go to Lincoln Beach, I will drive overnight and arrive around sunrise. If I go to Madras, I will go the day before and sleep in my car overnight. I'm not going to get there 24 hours in advance, but I will give myself a lot of extra time to get there. I'll also have alternative viewing locations picked out, incase traffic is too much. As for parking I will park anywhere, including on the shoulder of the road if necessary. I'm also going to scout out some good viewing locations around Mt. Jefferson. I'm thinking the mountain areas could be a good place to get a good view and beat the heat.
I would urge you to plan on being in the eclipse zone, 24 hours (or more) ahead (meaning at least as far as Waldport, if you are planning on coastal viewing). Driving up from Waldport, that morning, will at least have you in the Zone, if you fail to make it to Lincoln beach.
You probably don't want to risk getting stuck in gridlock traffic, on 101, South of the totality zone.

I recommend the same for the mountains, at least get into the zone (even if not at your ideal viewing location).
But also keep in mind that rest stops have a 12 hour limit (per 24 hours). I don't know if that will be enforced.
I do know that Salem is suspending its "No Camping in City Parks" for the night of the 20th, so that folks can reserve their spots, and stay in them all night.

I would hope that they would do the same with Rest Stops, but I have not heard anything. It would be a shame to start kicking people out, before the eclipse, who have been there over 12 hours.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I would urge you to plan on being in the eclipse zone, 24 hours (or more) ahead (meaning at least as far as Waldport, if you are planning on coastal viewing). Driving up from Waldport, that morning, will at least have you in the Zone, if you fail to make it to Lincoln beach.
You probably don't want to risk getting stuck in gridlock traffic, on 101, South of the totality zone.

I recommend the same for the mountains, at least get into the zone (even if not at your ideal viewing location).
But also keep in mind that rest stops have a 12 hour limit (per 24 hours). I don't know if that will be enforced.
I do know that Salem is suspending its "No Camping in City Parks" for the night of the 20th, so that folks can reserve their spots, and stay in them all night.

I would hope that they would do the same with Rest Stops, but I have not heard anything. It would be a shame to start kicking people out, before the eclipse, who have been there over 12 hours.
24 hours before the eclipse I plan to still be at home. That's the time I'll decide where I'm going to go to view it from, based on weather and traffic reports. If I go to Lincoln Beach I'll give myself about 10 hours to get there. If the traffic averages 12 mph, I should be fine. If I average 8 mph, I would still get to Waldport. If I go to Madras, I'll try to get there the night before. I expect traffic will be a little trickier there. If I can't make it to Madras, I'll watch from someplace in the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon