Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:16 PM

199 posts, read 217,464 times

Advertisements

What's the point of moving to Oregon without obtaining a car? People usually move to Oregon to enjoy our mountains, beaches, rural lands, forests, lakes, rivers and all of those are mostly accessible by car. If you don't have a car, you will be stuck in whatever town you live in and you will be bored to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 08:51 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
No one has mentioned the fact that landlords usually rent only to applicants with a job.

My advice is to find a job in NYC (or where-ever you are living) with a store/facility in Corvallis. Work there for a year earning a good reputation, then transfer.

It isn't unusual for a NYC resident not to have a car, I didn't when I worked in Manhattan back in the day. When I transferred to Oregon I purchased a car. If the OP can find housing within walking/biking/bus distance of his job not having a car is not a big deal short term.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:50 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Viper View Post
Bummer. I guess I based my assumptions on the info I've found so far on the internet. For example, I found this apartment complex called Fillmore; they have studios for $499 a month which is dirt cheap compared to a $1,500 here in NYC. I actually don't mind rooming with people, that's very common here. But I think at 500-600 bucks a month, an apartment complex in Corvallis is pretty good. Mind you, I'm a very simple guy. I can survive by working a regular full-time job at a hospital, office, school, or a Home Depot or whatever, haha. It sucks that you say not many people from Corvallis are on here...Where are you from in Oregon? Do you recommend any other places there for a person like myself? A place where I won't have to rely on a car? Public trans is my life here in NYC, and I also love biking.
Watch out for "studios" that sound too good to be true, rent-wise. People make this mistake in Seattle, too. They're usually apodments, meaning rooms w/private bath clustered around a shared kitchen, almost like a dorm. They've been springing up in college towns/cities. Check the promotional materials carefully, to ferret out the part that explains that the "studio" is actually a share. They must have these in NYC, don't they? I now they have micro-apartments, which also have sprung up in high-rent cities like San Francisco and Seattle.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:17 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Corvallis is a lovely small town with lots of activities going on.

This is the first time I've heard that they have a free bus system, so I can not verify whether or not that is true. It is an easy town to bike in, as n.
Its free.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Here is a map of the bus routes in Corvallis. It's free. Friend of mine lives in Albany and works at OSU. She somtimes uses the free bus service to get around in Corvallis.

City of Corvallis, OR : CTS System Map

Old 10-03-2016, 01:44 PM

75 posts, read 186,460 times
There is also a bus that runs from Albany & Corvallis to Newport on the coast.

Coast to Valley Express Bus Schedule | Lincoln County Oregon

Old 10-03-2016, 02:05 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
No one has mentioned the fact that landlords usually rent only to applicants with a job.

My advice is to find a job in NYC (or where-ever you are living) with a store/facility in Corvallis. Work there for a year earning a good reputation, then transfer.

It isn't unusual for a NYC resident not to have a car, I didn't when I worked in Manhattan back in the day. When I transferred to Oregon I purchased a car. If the OP can find housing within walking/biking/bus distance of his job not having a car is not a big deal short term.
Isn't Corvallis actively hostile to the big-box chains? I don't know how many NYC businesses you could find with a presence in Corvallis. Maybe a bank or investment management firm might have common offices, but even there a transfer would depend on filling a vacancy. However, most tenants are Oregon State students and by definition don't have jobs. It shouldn't be hard for the OP to talk himself into an apartment, or even find someone who needs a roommate to share expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon