Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:50 AM

6 posts, read 6,829 times

Advertisements

Vitals: Married, early 30s, no kids or plans for them in the near term. Wife has a great career in manufacturing, husband bartends and manages restaurants. Combined gross income is a little into six figures and living in Missouri. We like cities between around 50k-150k in population, hate traffic, don't really care about night life, and love the outdoors.

We've always wanted to move to the PNW and have visited many cities over the past few years. We specifically enjoyed Missoula, Spokane, Bend, and Eugene. Doing more research makes me think we'd really like the Medford area, Olympia, and Corvallis as well so we're trying to narrow down where to move in the coming months. We're in no rush, so we can wait for a job to appear, but obviously having good opportunities in manufacturing and restaurants would be a plus.

We both enjoy many outdoor activities, especially snowboarding/skiing and hiking with our dogs. I'd prefer a place with more sun than I know most of the PNW gets, but I don't think the weather is bad enough to scare me away from any area, I'm used to the Midwest after all. I'd prefer to live 10-20 minutes out of town in order to be able to buy a couple acres (or even better, border public lands that I can literally hike out my back door into) and have a view but still be able to drive into town for things like groceries, music, sports, farmers market and restaurants. In Missouri that means putting up with satellite internet, which is not really acceptable so I'm hoping Oregon has better rural internet options. If not, maybe a community like Redmond (not specifically, I know Redmond is quite pricey) would offer broadband in an area where we could realistically purchase a nice house on land but still be near a bigger city? Neither of us has lived in the area before, so we're not looking for a forever home quite yet. It would be nice to have a city that is easy to travel to/from so we could explore more of the area over the next couple of years.

Oregon is the state we are leaning toward at the moment, so I posted this here, but we are open to anywhere in the area. We've also considered Flagstaff and Fort Collins, which give us a lot of what we love about the PNW even though they aren't in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 08:22 AM

32,539 posts, read 47,619,487 times
If you think Redmond is too expensive, I don't know what to recommend. Maybe Prineville. That's got your sunshine and decent enough access to skiiing areas and snow sports. It's not too far to drive to Bend for entertainment.

I don't think anyone is going to give you that sort of money for managing a restaurant in Prineville. The big money restaurants in Central Oregon are in Bend, but if you think Redmond is too expensive, you certainly don't want to pay to rent or buy in Bend.

I suspect that Prineville is smaller than you want. There is a decent quality hospital and local shopping, but most residents in Prineville go to Redmond or Bend for serious shopping.

Prineville has two excellent internet companies headquartered there: Prine Time and Crestview Cable.

There are many 2 acre lots just outside the city limits of Prineville, as long as you are careful about getting water with your land.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:48 AM

Redmond isn't necessarily too expensive, but looking at houses for sale it looks higher than a lot of other areas so I was wondering if there is something better. We were hoping to find a house in the 300s so we can still be saving some money, it looks like if I ignore my desire for acreage that's more reasonable than I had thought. Like I said, if there's public lands very close, or at least a larger lot I can fence in, we would be alright. It's more about a sense of privacy and not having neighbors right on top of us than a real requirement for acreage. We just need a decent sized lot for large dogs to run around in. According to Maps, Prineville is about 45 minutes from Bend; if that's where we are working that would be just a little too far to drive every day I think.

Does your last sentence mean be careful about flooding? Is that a major concern in all of Oregon, or just that specific area?

Old 12-19-2016, 11:56 AM

15,518 posts, read 40,261,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabs42 View Post
Redmond isn't necessarily too expensive, but looking at houses for sale it looks higher than a lot of other areas so I was wondering if there is something better. We were hoping to find a house in the 300s so we can still be saving some money, it looks like if I ignore my desire for acreage that's more reasonable than I had thought. Like I said, if there's public lands very close, or at least a larger lot I can fence in, we would be alright. It's more about a sense of privacy and not having neighbors right on top of us than a real requirement for acreage. We just need a decent sized lot for large dogs to run around in. According to Maps, Prineville is about 45 minutes from Bend; if that's where we are working that would be just a little too far to drive every day I think.

Does your last sentence mean be careful about flooding? Is that a major concern in all of Oregon, or just that specific area?
No, he means making sure that you have a good well. Acreage will have septic and wells.

Corvallis will be out of your price point and it isn't close to the outdoor activities you like outside of hiking. Based on your description you want Bend, but $300k doesn't get you very far in Bend.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,639 posts, read 57,672,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabs42 View Post
Vitals: Married, early 30s, no kids or plans for them in the near term. Wife has a great career in manufacturing, husband bartends and manages restaurants. Combined gross income is a little into six figures and living in Missouri. We like cities between around 50k-150k in population, hate traffic, don't really care about night life, and love the outdoors.

We both enjoy many outdoor activities, especially snowboarding/skiing and hiking with our dogs. I'd prefer a place with more sun than I know most of the PNW gets, but I don't think the weather is bad enough to scare me away from any area, I'm used to the Midwest after all. I'd prefer to live 10-20 minutes out of town in order to be able to buy a couple acres (or even better, border public lands that I can literally hike out my back door into) and have a view but still be able to drive into town for things like groceries, music, sports, farmers market and restaurants. ....

Oregon is the state we are leaning toward at the moment, so I posted this here, but we are open to anywhere in the area. We've also considered Flagstaff and Fort Collins, which give us a lot of what we love about the PNW even though they aren't in the region.
Having lived rural but near Ft Collins for 30 yrs... and another 30 yrs in the PNW recreation centric Columbia Gorge...

Since you are in your 'earning years', look 2 minutes north of Oregon. (income tax free WA)

White Salmon (and good neighbor Hood River, OR) would be my first stop and there are some EXCELLENT manf jobs with Insitu and suppliers + many local small manf. Many brew pubs / eateries and a VERY livable nice, recreation centric community and region (recreation out your back door). Can't say enough good about this group http://crgta .org/ and their parent MCEDD (economic development, local infrastructure).

Gorge Grown Food Network | Building a resilient food system
https://www.cgcc.edu/ (In HR and TD)

This is in a "Federally protected Scenic Area", so you are surrounded by public lands, yet 1 hr to excellent PDX airport. housing is in short supply (not so bad in rural White Salmon)

Here is a great place to eat when you come visit / need employment.
Multnomah Falls Lodge | Home
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...il_Oregon.html

You will have to suffer the weather.... but escape is EZ. 1 hour east, or take a flight. I just booked SFO, LAX, REN, LAS each for under $50. I often fly to DEN for winter sun ($29 on Frontier Air sale dates).

For other (drier) choices... look to Sandpoint, ID, Wenatchee, Walla Walla, and Cashmere, WA, Sisters / Bend OR (some manf and plenty of foodie stuff in Bend) Getting very crowded

Sunny winter is not possible in PNW. Sheridan, WY, Northern UT, Western CO, Northern NM and AZ are options.

My REQUIREMENT is to live in a COUNTY without stoplights. So far I can do that and still be 20 Min from PDX. Recreation / wildlife is just out the door. Such as slipping and sliding on icy roads in 80 MPH winds. Beats living in town, and keeps the wimps out. Love my view...https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...ezDo4Q_AUICSgC

Old 12-19-2016, 01:31 PM

859 posts, read 1,054,342 times
Don't overlook the political circumstances in each city/area you consider. Can have an impact on how the city is run, schools, business regulations, etc. Even within your own neighborhood.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Don't overlook the political circumstances in each city/area you consider. Can have an impact on how the city is run, schools, business regulations, etc. Even within your own neighborhood.
1) avoid HOA's with tyrant / OCD members (can be best to avoid ALL HOA's)
2) ALWAYS interview the tax assessor and planning / building dept (places just across the street may have 30 - 50% different assessment)

Old 12-19-2016, 06:47 PM

859 posts, read 1,054,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
1) avoid HOA's with tyrant / OCD members (can be best to avoid ALL HOA's)
2) ALWAYS interview the tax assessor and planning / building dept (places just across the street may have 30 - 50% different assessment)

Seriously? Two nearly identical properties can be that far off? Good point, if true.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
[/b]
Seriously? Two nearly identical properties can be that far off? Good point, if true.
I have 2 similar valuation rural properties less than 1 minute apart. One is taxed $14,400/ yr, other is taxed $1240 / yr (Different counties, schools, fire / ems and MOST importantly different assessors!)

The levy across the street from the lower cost home is $14.4/ thousand. Mine is $8.63/ thousand (different school districts).

Always check before signing, and realize what you pay may be far LESS (or more) that what you are taxed on. The Assessor finds what they claim to be comparables and you live or fight that. BUT.... Beware: Assessors DO NOT like you dragging them to court every yr. THEY WILL win in the end (and you will be tired and broke). Assessors get to use multiplication, home owners are restricted to ONLY Addition and Subtraction = You cannot / will not WIN.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
White Salmon (and good neighbor Hood River, OR) would be my first stop and there are some EXCELLENT manf jobs with Insitu and suppliers + many local small manf. Many brew pubs / eateries and a VERY livable nice, recreation centric community and region (recreation out your back door).
Thanks! I had heard of The Dalles before, but hadn't really looked into it much; I hadn't even heard of White Salmon or Hood River, but it sounds great. It also sounds like we may have to adjust our expectations to something in the $400s. That's still affordable, it will just mean saving less for our next house or cutting back elsewhere; good to know in advance. We've also talked about hosting an airbnb or renting a room (especially if in a separate building) out to help save money for a dream house, but as I said, we do enjoy our privacy.

Last edited by shabs42; 12-19-2016 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon