Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 03:46 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times

Advertisements

Thanks to each of you!
Silverfall, why does Medford win hands down on hiking options? Corvallis seemed pretty good -- Cascades to the east (a bit of a drive, yes), Mary's Peak / Coast Ranges / beaches to the west. But Medford is even better? Also, I suspect that housing in Medford (but maybe not Ashland) is more affordable than in Corvallis -- is that correct?
I think a carpenter or an aircraft mechanic could make a more interesting neighbor than a coder, but when we talked it over once, the sister and I concluded we'd both fit best in a blue area (even though neither of us is a Democrat -- I vote Green; she votes Libertarian). That seems to point to Corvallis for us. Not that Jackson County voted overwhelmingly red, but Benton was the bluest county in the state, outside the PDX metro area. I see too that Corvallis seems to rate high on 'civic engagement' scores, and that's certainly a positive sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 04:02 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Medford has more of a blue collar and CA equity refugee retiree vibe..
Corvallis has more of a college town and professional vibe.

Medford is MUCH more isolated. It is a LONG drive to anyplace larger
Corvallis has easy access to Portland, Eugene, and Salem which are all larger than Medford

Don't know if I agree about the hiking. You might have to drive a bit further across the valley to get the Cascades wilderness areas from Corvallis. But it will be a long time until you run out of new places to explore.

The coast is also much more accessible from Corvallis.

You might also look at Bend. It's a gorgeous area with endless hiking and much more sun.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:02 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Thanks to each of you!
Silverfall, why does Medford win hands down on hiking options? Corvallis seemed pretty good -- Cascades to the east (a bit of a drive, yes), Mary's Peak / Coast Ranges / beaches to the west. But Medford is even better? Also, I suspect that housing in Medford (but maybe not Ashland) is more affordable than in Corvallis -- is that correct?
I think a carpenter or an aircraft mechanic could make a more interesting neighbor than a coder, but when we talked it over once, the sister and I concluded we'd both fit best in a blue area (even though neither of us is a Democrat -- I vote Green; she votes Libertarian). That seems to point to Corvallis for us. Not that Jackson County voted overwhelmingly red, but Benton was the bluest county in the state, outside the PDX metro area. I see too that Corvallis seems to rate high on 'civic engagement' scores, and that's certainly a positive sign.
Medford has more hiking trails within an easy drive when compared to Corvallis. There will be more variety closer to Medford. Corvallis will require more driving to get to a variety of trails. Mary's Peak is close, but that is about it.

Medford is significantly cheaper than Corvallis for housing.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:51 PM

329 posts, read 470,724 times
NW4me

I think you should drive out and see both..
We are looking to retire in either OR or WA this summer.. We did road trips to both..
In Oregon, should we go there, it was going to be Cottage Grove/Eugene area.. I did love Silverton too.. ( the most beautiful Falls ever over there and hiking ..

If you decide to do Southern Oregon, Jacksonville and Grants Pass was our favorite there.. But the topography is different once you go further south from Cottage Grove.. The trees seemed less impressive.. Not the magnificent tall ones you see further North..

We felt like Eugene area was great and right in the middle of everything.. coast, mountains, Portland airport.... ♥

Old 02-04-2017, 06:58 PM

679 posts, read 878,221 times
My husband and I moved to Jacksonville last spring. We are both retired, both college educated and both liberal. We love it here. Whoever said it's like Sonoma in the 70's is spot on. (I lived in San Francisco from the late 70's to late 80's).

There are lots of retirees here and I have found the quality of medical care to be excellent. We hike every week during the good weather. Winter is short. Spring and fall are glorious, summer is hot but dry. The coast and the redwoods are within a few hours drive as are mountains, high desert and Crater Lake. Much better weather than the Willamette Valley. People are friendly, we have great wines, great cannabis and great local produce.

Good luck finding your spot!

Old 02-04-2017, 07:04 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
My husband and I moved to Jacksonville last spring. We are both retired, both college educated and both liberal. We love it here. Whoever said it's like Sonoma in the 70's is spot on. (I lived in San Francisco from the late 70's to late 80's).

There are lots of retirees here and I have found the quality of medical care to be excellent. We hike every week during the good weather. Winter is short. Spring and fall are glorious, summer is hot but dry. The coast and the redwoods are within a few hours drive as are mountains, high desert and Crater Lake. Much better weather than the Willamette Valley. People are friendly, we have great wines, great cannabis and great local produce.

Agreed!

Old 02-04-2017, 08:39 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
For over six lustrum' we have happily lived on the side of the forested mountain, with a bass pond, year round creek, & artesian springs. It's a short distance northwest from Grants Pass. All these years we have bought our groceries & other goods in Grants Pass, mostly. The people we have met over the years, have been good, kind, caring folks who will go out of their way to help you when you have a problem.

https://www.grantspassoregon.gov/

Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Downtown Web Cam

My hobby is fishing, boating, exploring the BLM lands with my 4legged pals. We have found many beautiful spots to do these things, nearby.

We like to observe & take photos of the forest, desert, air, water critters, we see. & the beautiful scenery.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:54 PM

6 posts, read 6,849 times
How is food in the area?

We are considering a move to Grants Pass/Medford or Bend, along with a couple other areas. Good variety and quality of restaurants? Fresh seafood? Asian/Hispanic/Mediterranean grocers?

Old 02-04-2017, 09:44 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post

My beloved aunt, uncle, & cousins lived happily around Sonoma, for many years. We had some wonderful get together's, at their place, over the years...

Old 02-04-2017, 10:14 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Medford has more of a blue collar and CA equity refugee retiree vibe..
Corvallis has more of a college town and professional vibe.

Medford is MUCH more isolated. It is a LONG drive to anyplace larger
Corvallis has easy access to Portland, Eugene, and Salem which are all larger than Medford

Don't know if I agree about the hiking. You might have to drive a bit further across the valley to get the Cascades wilderness areas from Corvallis. But it will be a long time until you run out of new places to explore.

The coast is also much more accessible from Corvallis.

You might also look at Bend. It's a gorgeous area with endless hiking and much more sun.
Good points, Texas...

I did pay a visit to Bend a couple of years ago, and had fun hiking to Tumalo Falls in the snow. But snow is something I'd like to see maybe a few days a year, rather than having to put up with it for months... in other words, those Bend winters are too severe for my taste. But I hope to make regular visits to Bend.
I do like the college-town vibe of Corvallis; the food coop, the cute restaurants like Laughing Planet and Broken Yolk, etc. But I'm not quite sure what a 'CA equity refugee retiree vibe' implies for daily life in Medford -- explain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon