Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:13 PM

94 posts, read 130,279 times

Advertisements

Thanks to those giving positive feedback. I have been to the outdoor mall and movie theater there and loved it. I have not been to Cannon beach yet but seen pictures and have wanted to visit it. I know some people are saying the weather is exactly the same as WA but from what I encountered there in person it didnt seem identical. Ive also read summers are warmer in OR than WA. I know someone suggested AZ and NV but the reason Im not considering such places is Im very uncomfortable with hot weather. I dont like days above 72. I think 70 defrees is just perfect but I can deal with the 60s and 50s just fine. Im not really looking for general suggestions of other areas I should consider instead of OR, as Ive already narrowed down my search and know what I like and what I dont. I know someone suggested I move to another part of CA. Im already very familair with CA. The more affordable areas are either very high crime or low job opportunity or both. Unless there is some magical CA city I never heard of. Someone suggested I live closer to the bottom of OR state- near NorCal. From what I researched there is not many jobs and its more rural. I like Tigard which is why I already visited and explored. Just trying to find out more info on the area Im already interested in. That would be helpful. Are there any decent paying jobs in the Portland suburbs or does everybody drive to the City? I was not a fan of Portland, although the suburbs were lovely. The minimum wage is decent although the unemployment rate is high. I was blown away by the homeless population. Not sure if these were lazy folks who just want a handout or people who were truly desperate because they cant find work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 06:48 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Will 145 days of sun be enough for you?

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-10-2017 at 06:32 AM..

Old 04-26-2017, 08:31 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
A couple of things you should consider, OP:

1) Visiting someplace for a few days (or even a couple of weeks) isn't enough time to make a comparison to weather where you lived. You may have caught some nice weather just by chance. You have to look at weather records--that's the best way. Or you just have to be open to the possibility that those of us who live here may actually be correct--the weather is much more LIKE Washington's than different.

2) In general, it is warmer here in the summer than in Washington--you can see that from weather records. But you mention that you don't like days above 72. If that's the case, Tigard may be problematic. It was either last summer or the previous (I think it was 2015), that the Portland Metro area topped 90 degrees for 25 days that summer. That means plenty of days in the 80s that summer too. It was a HOT summer. Of course, that summer was an anomaly, but we do get well into the 80s for dozens of days each summer on average, and a few days above 90.

3) Regarding jobs in the suburbs, yes you can find them here. There are plenty of commercial and office complexes throughout the suburban areas.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:36 PM

I actually like cloudy days because being overcast it's generally cooler ... my issue is when the sky is black and you don't see stars or a moon or the sun or anything and that was my experience in winter in Washington. If you do have black skies during most of winter with no light at all that would be problematic for me. The summers here in California are in the 80s and 90s as well with some days in the hundreds and I generally stay inside in the air conditioning during that season but it would be nice to live somewhere that had more moderate Summers. When it rains in California it pours and floods but in Washington it seemed to be a constant trickle which was easier to drive in and I'm not sure if OR is the same. I'm also considering Colorado because it does have more sunshine and I know it has cold winters but I believe the summers are also warm.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:51 AM

Trust us--the Portland Metro Area isn't going to work for you if you did not like the weather in WA.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:44 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellysocal View Post
I actually like cloudy days because being overcast it's generally cooler ... my issue is when the sky is black and you don't see stars or a moon or the sun or anything and that was my experience in winter in Washington. If you do have black skies during most of winter with no light at all that would be problematic for me. The summers here in California are in the 80s and 90s as well with some days in the hundreds and I generally stay inside in the air conditioning during that season but it would be nice to live somewhere that had more moderate Summers. When it rains in California it pours and floods but in Washington it seemed to be a constant trickle which was easier to drive in and I'm not sure if OR is the same. I'm also considering Colorado because it does have more sunshine and I know it has cold winters but I believe the summers are also warm.
I am from SF but I lived months in Boston and mostly in NYC where the gloomy days are offset by enough bright sun with cold air and big city lights/ excitement. Portland is a smaller metro than Seattle metro and our winter isn't much different than Seattles's very grey and damp days that seem to go on forever. Your brain starts to get scrambled in a really long season like the one we have just had. Last winter wasn't as bad but in general, it's a dark grey. It gets really dark and starts early like at 4pm, you need to drive with your headlights. Not trying to dissuade you but letting you know that the PNW is seriously not for everyone. Many older Oregonians I know leave for a month to warmer climates but they are retired.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
If it was black starless skies and no moon that depressed you, it will the same in Tigard. I am speaking as one who lived there for several years, not as someone who just visited for a couple of weeks. It didn't bother me at all so I can't relate to this as a cause for your depression but I can warn you what to expect.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
I think the OP may be happier in Southern Oregon (ie Medford) and/or the Cascadia part of Northern California near the Oregon border. I still consider places like Shasta, Eureka and Humbolt County the Pacific Northwest. It's really much more Mediterranean in climate with significantly less overcast and rainy days, but with much of the same natural beauty.
Sorry, those two don't go together, especially in summer. If people think San Francisco is cold in summer, wait until you spend a summer in Eureka.

Unless you meant Yreka.

Humboldt County away from the coast gets downright toasty though. You don't need to head too far inland to find nice weather.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:59 PM

I loveeeee San Fran weather. Too bad its wayyyy out of the budget.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I loveeeee San Fran weather. Too bad its wayyyy out of the budget.
You might like the cities/towns around Humboldt Bay then, weather-wise. Eureka, Arcata, McKinleyville, and Fortuna are the larger towns. Lots of foggy, cool weather, especially in the summer. Of course, not a great economy in that area, but it's certainly one of the more affordable areas (if not THE most affordable area) along the CA coast.

Throw Crescent City in there too. Similar weather. Somewhat rainier in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon