Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 08:39 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
I apologize if I have offended anyone by trying to point out the hypocrisy of demonizing a plant that is being grown in an agricultural area when no one seems to give a hoot how many drunks are on the road.
Very true. People who have no objections to loud mouth drunks coming out of bars at 2AM, urinating all over the sidewalk, and then getting in their cars and driving home, all of a sudden get up in arms over the idea of someone growing a plant on a farm. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 08:56 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Very true. People who have no objections to loud mouth drunks coming out of bars at 2AM, urinating all over the sidewalk, and then getting in their cars and driving home, all of a sudden get up in arms over the idea of someone growing a plant on a farm. LOL.
What a ridiculous and insulting thing to say.

Unless you can prove the the OP has "no objections to loud mouth drunks coming out of bars at 2AM, urinating all over the sidewalk, and then getting in their cars and driving home," which I seriously doubt, In fact I would bet money on it, you owe an apology.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
What a ridiculous and insulting thing to say.

Unless you can prove the the OP has "no objections to loud mouth drunks coming out of bars at 2AM, urinating all over the sidewalk, and then getting in their cars and driving home," which I seriously doubt, In fact I would bet money on it, you owe an apology.
Reading comprehension, please. I said "people" not the OP. I'm sorry if you can't see the irony of someone who complains about people growing a particular plant on a farm, while no one ever complains about bars being everywhere, every supermarket and restaurant selling alcohol, and the police having to constantly respond to the problems this proliferation of alcohol creates. Breweries are good. Marijuana farms are bad. We get the message.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Doesn't fly, and it really isn't that simple. The OP wasn't making a case for "marijuana bad." The OP simply doesn't want a proliferance of shady people hanging around her neighborhood. That sort of thing happens with bars and liquor stores pretty often. People are constantly complaining about and protesting against establishments that serve alcohol in Oregon, and the OLCC can and does yank liquor licenses when a place becomes too great of a neighborhood nuisance. A nuisance is a nuisance, and trying to position opposition to the scenario described in the OP as "marijuana bad" is just more self-serving twisting.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-30-2017 at 11:05 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Doesn't fly, and it really isn't that simple. The OP wasn't making a case for "marijuana bad." The OP simply doesn't want a proliferance of shady people hanging around her neighborhood. That sort of thing happens with bars and liquor stores pretty often. People are constantly complaining about and protesting against establishments that serve alcohol in Oregon, and the OLCC can and does yank liquor licenses when a place becomes too great of a neighborhood nuisance. A nuisance is a nuisance, and trying to position opposition to the scenario described in the OP as "marijuana bad" is just more self-serving twisting.
Where are these constant protests against establishments that serve alcohol in Oregon? Can you give me one link? The last news I can find, was a protests against strip clubs in Portland being granted liquor licenses about six years ago. I have a feeling those were more protests against the strip clubs then against the liquor licenses.

Like you said a nuisance is a nuisance, but nobody complains about the nuisance created around bars on Friday and Saturday nights. Because everybody loves to get drunk, but a marijuana business opening up is the end of the world. Despite the fact that marijuana causes a fraction of the problems that alcohol does.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:53 AM

265 posts, read 258,984 times
Quote:
Where are these constant protests against establishments that serve alcohol in Oregon? Can you give me one link? The last news I can find, was a protests against strip clubs in Portland being granted liquor licenses about six years ago. I have a feeling those were more protests against the strip clubs then against the liquor licenses.

Like you said a nuisance is a nuisance, but nobody complains about the nuisance created around bars on Friday and Saturday nights. Because everybody loves to get drunk, but a marijuana business opening up is the end of the world. Despite the fact that marijuana causes a fraction of the problems that alcohol does.

Most bars, if not all, are located in commercial areas. Haven't seen any in agricultural or residential areas.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:39 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
There are a couple "roadhouse" style bars around here (on the rural highways, away from populated areas) and the police/sheriff/OSP tend to take complaints about them seriously.

I have several friends who work for wineries and the winery owners tend to go above and beyond in schooling servers about recognizing inebriation. Of course, the winery crowd is different from the Howiee's crowd (Howiee's is a downtown Medford bar/music venue and it can get VERY rowdy late nights). You can get plastered and aggressive a lot faster on $3 vodka jello shooters than on $35 bottles of tempranillo.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:

Nonsense. People complain about bars all the time. Ask any local cop, city council member, or the OLCC.

The OP's concerns, btw, are specific to her immediate quality of life rather than some abstract societal greater good, and the complaints would likely be similar if a dive bar were allowed to open virtually in her backyard.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:55 PM

731 posts, read 678,101 times
May I suggest the lady look into planting Leyland Cypress along the fence. They grow really fast. She will loose the view but its lost anyway. https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/b...rees-are-best/ The piney smell will help too.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Nonsense. People complain about bars all the time. Ask any local cop, city council member, or the OLCC.

The OP's concerns, btw, are specific to her immediate quality of life rather than some abstract societal greater good, and the complaints would likely be similar if a dive bar were allowed to open virtually in her backyard.
So it's better that the dive bars open Downtown, where they can be a nuisance to everyone? Also calling the cops ≠ protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon