Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 01:32 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,669,394 times

Advertisements

Put down the pipe, Cloudy; you're making no sense, and once again, you've twisted this entire conversation around to fit your agenda du jour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 01:33 PM

679 posts, read 876,786 times
My goodness, people get offended so easily.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:41 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,299,471 times
I don't live in Oregon but saw this thread come up and it was interesting. I'm as pro cannabis legalization as they come but I feel for the OP.

I don't think I would like people who had no intention of living there and becoming part of the community coming into the "neighborhood" to set up a big grow.

Now if a real neighbor, who lived there and was respectful of the rural way of life, decided to start growing cannabis I would be OK with that. I think there's a difference.

I live in a state with legal cannabis and since I'm outside of a town, I'd have to get 51% of my neighbors approval to start a commercial grow. Doesn't Oregon have similar laws or have some sort of planning meetings you could have attended to voice your concern about the proximity to your house? Or can anyone just put up one anywhere, even right next to a house as in this case?

Hopefully you'll be surprised and it will be smaller, better fenced and more discrete than you are picturing and the activity dies down once it's up and running. If not, then good luck with your potential move. That's a bummer if it comes to that.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:06 PM

15,404 posts, read 9,039,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Put down the pipe, Cloudy; you're making no sense, and once again, you've twisted this entire conversation around to fit your agenda du jour.
Whoa, calm down, calm down. It's just a plant. LOL. Legalized weed is a lot more touchy subject then I thought it was. I thought the matter was settled once and forall at the ballot box. I guess not.

Maybe you should start a petition to reverse Ballot Measure 91. For the record, I would support it, as long as it came with a provision to also shut down all breweries, wineries, and ban all alcohol sales in the state.

Being in opposition to a very minor drug, marijuana, while not opposing a hard drug, alcohol, is just hypocritical.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 07-02-2017 at 08:38 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I don't live in Oregon but saw this thread come up and it was interesting. I'm as pro cannabis legalization as they come but I feel for the OP.

I don't think I would like people who had no intention of living there and becoming part of the community coming into the "neighborhood" to set up a big grow.

Now if a real neighbor, who lived there and was respectful of the rural way of life, decided to start growing cannabis I would be OK with that. I think there's a difference.

I live in a state with legal cannabis and since I'm outside of a town, I'd have to get 51% of my neighbors approval to start a commercial grow. Doesn't Oregon have similar laws or have some sort of planning meetings you could have attended to voice your concern about the proximity to your house? Or can anyone just put up one anywhere, even right next to a house as in this case?

Hopefully you'll be surprised and it will be smaller, better fenced and more discrete than you are picturing and the activity dies down once it's up and running. If not, then good luck with your potential move. That's a bummer if it comes to that.

Good luck to you.
Measure 91 left most of the details to the state liquor control agency (OLCC) and to the individual counties. It was pretty much a blank slate in many respects. Southern Oregon's CL is full of people advertising property for lease to prospective growers -- at this point, there's a lot of people looking for fast cash, and I think an attitude of caution among homeowners is warranted. You hit it on the nail with your commentary about real neighbors, btw.

As the industry matures, I'm sure we'll see more of those wholesome millionaires as money moves in and pushes the little guys out, but for now, there will probably be a lot of situations like the OP's.

Anyway, any regs here would be specific to her county, I guess. I think it's the same in Alaska, but I don't care enough to check. It won't be cultivated in any capacity on my property because I have too much to lose and it's still a federal crime.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-02-2017 at 09:14 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

Maybe you should start a petition to reverse Ballot Measure 91. For the record, I would support it, as long as it came with a provision to also shut down all breweries, wineries, and ban all alcohol sales in the state.

I was actually in favor of the measure and still am. I just happen to have sympathy for the homeowner in this case and believe that property owners leasing out land to multiple growers probably isn't the best idea. For all your bloviating about alcohol, I'd have the same sympathy if a dive bar popped up in her backyard. Sorry that's over your head.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-02-2017 at 09:12 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I was actually in favor of the measure and still am. I just happen to have sympathy for the homeowner in this case and believe that property owners leasing out land for to multiple growers probably isn't the best idea. Sorry that's over your head.
When you buy property, you have to do some research into possible land uses. Again the OP moved here at the exact same time that Measure 91 was on the ballot. Moving to a state that is in the process of legalizing a particular product, and then later complaining about that product being grown in your backyard, is not good planing on your part. Which the OP has already acknowledged making that mistake.

On the bright side, the OP's land has probably increased in value, as a result. So they should have no problem selling and moving to Utah, or Texas.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
When you buy property, you have to do some research into possible land uses. Again the OP moved here at the exact same time that Measure 91 was on the ballot. Moving to a state that is in the process of legalizing a particular product, and then later complaining about that product being grown in your backyard, is not good planing on your part. Which the OP has already acknowledged making that mistake.

On the bright side, the OP's land has probably increased in value, as a result. So they should have no problem selling and moving to Utah, or Texas.
Measure 91 was, as stated before, a fairly blank slate that wouldn't have led anyone to believe that this type of grow operation would necessarily be popping up in their backyards. In fact, it sounds rather like the type of grow operation proponents of the measure said would be pushed out. Plenty of people have managed to purchase property in Oregon without having to deal with scenarios such as the one described. She got unlucky, that's all.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-02-2017 at 10:35 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
More property-buying advice from the Section 8 sector. She's just venting because she worked hard for something. You probably can't relate, but some of us can. Measure 91 was, as stated before, a fairly blank slate that wouldn't have led anyone to believe that this type of grow operation would be popping up in their backyards. Plenty of people have managed to purchase property in Oregon without having to deal with scenarios such as the one described. She got unlucky, that's all.
Where did you think it was going to be grown?

Old 07-02-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Where did you think it was going to be grown?
Ideally, on properties belonging to responsible landowners rather than those hawking temporary growing spaces to the highest bidders on Craigslist. After all, one of the biggest selling points of Measure 91 was that legalization would cause a certain element involved in commercial growing to move on.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-02-2017 at 10:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon