Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:00 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,723,606 times

Advertisements

Honestly if you are young and just trying to get ahead you would probably be better off looking to Texas, esp the DFW of Houston areas. My wife and I recently moved back to the Northwest from Texas and we like it here but for someone young and without ties you will find it easier to get ahead in Texas. More jobs and lower cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 04:57 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,720,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Honestly if you are young and just trying to get ahead you would probably be better off looking to Texas, esp the DFW of Houston areas. My wife and I recently moved back to the Northwest from Texas and we like it here but for someone young and without ties you will find it easier to get ahead in Texas. More jobs and lower cost of living.
And more heat to die from

Old 07-25-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You will have better results from your South Carolina post. Housing in the South is still pretty inexpensive compared to Oregon.
Oregon is cheap as hell compared to where I'm from.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:47 PM

2,659 posts, read 3,854,752 times
look at real estate crowdsourcing now.
No need to limit yourself to A piece of property anymore.
Invest in direct real estate equity or loan your money out at 9-10%.

Other option - I assume you are fully funding your ROTH IRA from other funds. If not, use these funds to do that first.
Despite fact that ROTH it is retirement money, it is yours tax free after five years.

Unless you have some experience _DO NOT Be a long distance landlord at your first excursion into this - seriously, you don't want to deal with what you are going to have to deal with without some experience.

There are better smarter ways to make $.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
look at real estate crowdsourcing now.
No need to limit yourself to A piece of property anymore.
Invest in direct real estate equity or loan your money out at 9-10%.

Other option - I assume you are fully funding your ROTH IRA from other funds. If not, use these funds to do that first.
Despite fact that ROTH it is retirement money, it is yours tax free after five years.

Unless you have some experience _DO NOT Be a long distance landlord at your first excursion into this - seriously, you don't want to deal with what you are going to have to deal with without some experience.

There are better smarter ways to make $.
Doesn't help that real estate where I live outperforms the sp 500.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:10 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Oregon is cheap as hell compared to where I'm from.
Yeah, but your budget sucks. If you live next door, a $200k rental might be worth it in Oregon, but from California you will need to hire a plumber every time a faucet needs a new washer. A 50 year old house in poor repair is going to eat you alive in maintenance costs.

Seriously, look at the South, where $200k will buy you middle class digs.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yeah, but your budget sucks. If you live next door, a $200k rental might be worth it in Oregon, but from California you will need to hire a plumber every time a faucet needs a new washer. A 50 year old house in poor repair is going to eat you alive in maintenance costs.

Seriously, look at the South, where $200k will buy you middle class digs.
That's just play money, I could buy with a 110k downpayment but that would only be something I'd use I. The Bay Area where housing appreciates.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:24 AM

23 posts, read 28,343 times
Consider moving to another state with a lower cost of living, such as anywhere in the Sun Belt, or Utah. Your money will go much farther there.

I know for every Californian it is a mandatory rite of passage to move to Oregon, but your money isn't going to get as much as you think it will.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 AM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
One duplex isn't going to achieve monetarily what I think you are wanting to do. Real estate is a good investment, but if that is your investment strategy, you need more than one property. You won't have good cash flow with a duplex here with 20% down. You just won't. They also don't appreciate the same way single family homes do.

So if your end goal is to create wealth, you need to crunch the numbers and make sure that it makes sense. I think you will find that it won't. You will be competing against cash investors that don't have to take into account a mortgage into their cash flow analysis.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:51 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Plus, with an income between $55k and $60k, he's not going to qualify for much of a mortgage. In the long run he's better off to keep living in his parents' basement and to continuing to save money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon