Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:34 PM

3 posts, read 27,789 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I are thinking about moving to Hillsboro by the end of this year. Could anyone who lives in Hillsboro please tell us what you think about Hillsboro?

Weather?
School district?
Neighborhood?
Commute time to Portland?
Public Transportation? Train?
People?
And anything else that you think we should know about Hillsboro.

Thank you so much and who knows we could be your future neighbors

Airster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 01:24 AM

97 posts, read 501,992 times
Default HIllsboro

The areas north and east of Hillsboro have some decent neighborhoods. Weather in Hillsboro is the same as the rest of Portland. Rain from October through about April. Schools are average. It's only about 20 miles to downtown Portland and it's nice restraunts, bookstores, cofeeshops. Not all of Hillsboro is great. The areas south and west of downtown Hillsboro have an exploding Hispanic population, mostly illegal aliens. There are street gangs with roots from California in those areas. Good luck with your move.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,021,656 times
It does NOT rain October through April. There IS rain, but the above is misleading. We have glorious Indian summers. December through February are the worst for rain but each year it's different. There are some years when the rains really hit in January and other years when February turns out dry. There will be rain at any given time in the year, although summer it's rare. Don't be deceived or misled into thinking that it's gray ALL the time.

Public transportation exists via MAX and it goes into downtown and all the way to Gresham on the east side. You can also hook up and get into North Portland or the airport.

Not sure about the commuting time into Portland. It's about twelve-fifteen miles. Possibly 45 minutes to an hour.

There are some great neighborhoods in Hillsboro; it's home to Oregon's Intel campuses which means thousands of highly paid people. There's also a high proportion of hispanics, too, since there's a lot of agriculture.

Where are you coming from?

Old 03-15-2008, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 27,789 times
Thank you bobmulk and PNWhike for your response. We're from the ridiculous expensive bay area. Though we like it here and the weather is nice, we want to move closer to our family who lives in Portland. Are there other nice suburb areas that you may recommend?

I heard about the Hispanic population and that some people call Hillsboro, Hillsburrito But are there really gangs? That scares me!

What's the best website I can go to look for jobs in Oregon do you know?

Airster

Old 03-16-2008, 02:12 AM

97 posts, read 501,992 times
Default More on Hillsboro

The majority of Hillsboro has good areas to live in. Yes, as Oregon's population continues to grow exponentially, we have a growing problem with gangs not just in Hillsboro but throughout parts of Portland and Oregon. The gangbangers all claim affiliation with gangs out of California. The tagging is commonly seen in certain areas of Hilsboro, Aloha, and Beaverton, North Portland, Southeast Portland, Gresham. It's Sureno (Southern California) Vs. Norteno (Northern California) 18th Street vs. 13th Street, this street vs, that street, on and on it goes. Today's front page of the Oregonian newspaper explains how incidents of gang shootings and stabbings in the Portland area have matched all of last years total in only the first three months of this year alone.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:21 AM

14 posts, read 58,819 times
You might want to look at Tigard, a small town nestled below a hillside between Portland and Beaverton. Tigard's city sign tells us that it is the #1 town in Oregon for raising a family, or something like that. Another area to look at is Multnomah, just west of Tigard, it's a small village (ok, it's like one or two streets) that try to be unique but truly, it's only unique because it's kinda hidden in the hills between Portland and the Washington Square Shopping Mall.

Jobdango is a popular job web site in portland, also, sign up for Portlandlive.com.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:11 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,021,656 times
Sherwood and Wilsonville are also wonderful communities. You will hardly see any gang activity in those towns. Beaverton has some fantastic areas; it's like many cities in that it has its bad areas and good areas. Of course, Lake Oswego and West Linn are REALLY pricey. But, coming from the Bay Area, the prices might not seem exhorbitant to you.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:51 PM

9 posts, read 22,394 times
Hopefully some people who actually live in Hillsboro will chime in soon, its very popular and those that I know who live there just love it. Its the 3rd biggest city in the Ptld Metro area after Ptld and Gresham. So these 3 seem to get a bad wrap for crime. I think once a reputation gets going ppl just like to keep repeating it. Crime does not define these cities, its just more fun to talk about than, say, the Farmers Markets. I would not let the gang issues scare you out of the nicer parts of town, there is a world of difference. If you are looking for a small town conservative feel than keep looking but Hillsboro has alot to offer.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:58 PM

9 posts, read 22,394 times
Tigard is okay but its got a bit of a broken feel to it. It doesn't really have its own identity. I lived there for a few years before moving to Beaverton. The parts bordering Portland can be seedy. The traffic on 217 and 99 are horrid, it can ruin your day. There is no downtown/old town/community center type area. The nicest areas are Bull Mtn which is trying to break away from the City of Tigard. The homes there are all on hillsides, on top of each other, with all the landslides in the winter this would make me very nervous. The Bridgeport area off I-5 is very nice though.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:28 PM

5 posts, read 37,293 times
Default Moved from CA in FEB 08

We just moved to Hillsboro in Feb 08. I loved CA. My husband got transfered, better pay, etc.
As for your questions, since I have not been here long I cannot remark on some things. However, I can really remark on how it has been moving here.
The weather is awful! There has been 3 days of sun, only partial, since we moved here and it has only been over 55 degrees one day! Like I said, I miss my home in CA where it is much warmer and sunnier.
I no longer have school-aged children.
Commute to Portland seems tough if done on the freeways. It is not as bad as So CA or No CA or Bay Area. We live 5 minutes from my husband's office. The public transportation is the best I have ever seen! We take the MAX (lightrail) all over esp. into Portland. It takes 1 1/2 to ride from Hlsb to PDX (portland airport). Less than $2 one way which is less than fuel! TriMet is the public transp group. There are busses, streetcars, and the MAX which your pass allows you to use any of the combo!
The people here are fine. I don't even mind downtown Hlsb-being from CA and living with Mexicans all my life I don't fear them. I think a lot of the hispanics have moved to Forest Grove, Cornelius, and North Plains. There are a lot of different nationalities as Intel and other lg companies bring in people from all over the world.
I'm not sure where you are coming from so this may not make sense: In CA the housing in an area develops in concentric rings, ie the old downtown, WW1 housing, WW2 housing, 50s, 60s etc. Here it is not like that. I took me 3 trips to pick where we would live. I was so confused! I like that now--more variety!
We live near Orenco Station (about 6 blocks) in a house that is 4 years old, $1500/mo. I didn't like the little narrow house style but you get more sq ftg. Our house is not connected with another and we live along a creek.
My relocation realtor told me each town in this area has good areas and bad ones. I liked being near shopping, the MAX, and near my husband's office. I like Beaverton however, the closer you get to Portland the more expensive it gets. We are not ready to buy a house yet as we don't know where we want to live. For now, this is okay.
This area is full of parks, trails, recreation, good libraries, lg cinema, great shopping and restaurants, healthcare. In Portland there is SO much to see and do. I am trying hard to learn to like it here. It is not a bad place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon