Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times

Advertisements

bring me a Rubios, I don't do 'drive-ups' (even in my FREE fuel WVO burner),

even if raining I would rather go in, & not sit and burn (free) fuel and make brown skies.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
In 'n Out: Good, but not what I remember from the 80's.
Burgerville: Also good, but not great.
Dick's (Seattle): still my favorite

Quiznos: best subs around, but hard to find these days.
There's one on the east side of the Freeway at the Brownsville exit, in the truck stop. I have no idea why you would call them good. The popcorn is better.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:07 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There's one on the east side of the Freeway at the Brownsville exit, in the truck stop. I have no idea why you would call them good. The popcorn is better.
Well, like most opinions they are subjective. I like Quiznos because of the combination of a warm toasted bun and good tasting ingredients. Pretty simple for me, but to each his/her own.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:32 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,449,584 times
Better hurry for Quizno's in Oregon.
Only four left!
I guess if you want a Quiznos paradise, Vancouver BC is the place to be!

Here's the link for all the Quiznos in the PNW:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...0!2i640!4f13.1

I don't know why they never made it big.
I always enjoyed their food.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:59 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Not so certain about WA for In n Out. They would be competing against a strong brand, "Dick's", atleast in the Puget Sound area. I predict they will enter Idaho before Washington, as they have multiple locations just south in Utah.
They need that beef processing plant in the Pacific NW first, if they want to expand into WA, ID and northern OR. Driving the fresh beef from their SoCal plant to the Pacific NW every day is a marathon. They need to do what they did in Texas and build a new processing plant nearby.

Not sure where the ideal location for the plant would be, maybe eastern OR, off of I-84 or Boise or maybe the Tri-Cities in WA, then they can supply all of their future stores easily in the Pacific NW and even current stores in northern UT (SLC/Ogden/Provo), from there.

Even with Texas, after open up their new processing plant, they have only focused on the I-35 corridor from the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex down through Waco and Austin/Round Rock to San Antonio and haven't even hit the Houston market yet with its 6.7 million people. They are very methodical in their expansion.

Last edited by cjseliga; 11-18-2017 at 08:01 PM..

Old 11-18-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Better hurry for Quizno's in Oregon.
Only four left!
I guess if you want a Quiznos paradise, Vancouver BC is the place to be!

Here's the link for all the Quiznos in the PNW:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...0!2i640!4f13.1

I don't know why they never made it big.
I always enjoyed their food.
Quiznos actually did make it big. The company franchised almost 5,000 restaurants before the great recession did them in between 2007 and 2009. The company ran into debt, went through a sale, then a bankruptcy and today have less than 1/5th the stores still open.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:38 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,813,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
People keep on mentioning french fries directly from fresh potatoes as if it's the best way to make them. It isn't. It's the easiest way. Anybody can do it.
The result: probably the most acclaimed french fries ever. Many say then are more responsible for McDonald's success than hamburgers.
If you like them, that's great. But I have never had a good meal at McDonalds. Not even once! Except when I just grab a couple of their chocolate chip cookies. They are pretty good. But that isn't a meal. Their fries and burgers have always been disgusting every time I have went there. My father has told me of when McDonalds first started out and he said they were REALLY good back then. Not sure what happened to them and why they went so far down hill.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:20 PM

939 posts, read 787,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

They are then partially deep fried in combination of oils...

They are then flash-frozen and sent to the stores where the frying is completed.

The result: probably the most acclaimed french fries ever. Many say then are more responsible for McDonald's success than hamburgers.

I kind of thought McD changed the fry oil twice(?) through the years, to make it healthier.

(One of those times,) Julia Child really liked their fries and once wrote a letter to corporate complaining about the new practice soon after they switched over to a healthier oil, as she preferred their previous method.

When done correctly, twice-cooked fries is the way to go to get them crispy on the outside, while fluffy on the inside.

I've also heard that partially/fully frozen potatoes helps with the crispy/fluffy, though I can't remember if they should be frozen before the first or final frying.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
If you like them, that's great. But I have never had a good meal at McDonalds. Not even once! Except when I just grab a couple of their chocolate chip cookies. They are pretty good. But that isn't a meal. Their fries and burgers have always been disgusting every time I have went there. My father has told me of when McDonalds first started out and he said they were REALLY good back then. Not sure what happened to them and why they went so far down hill.
You hit on something here. "Disgusting", but consistent. Don't discount this, it is how McDonalds continues to be successful! As in, we know it is disgusting, but atleast we know it will continue to be disgusting. Brilliant marketing!

Seriously, though, the McDonalds taste has proven to be successful over the years. They couldn't continue to exist if their food didn't meet their customers expectations. This is the real secret sauce...meet consumer expectations with a consistent taste/flavor. We can argue if this "taste/flavor" is good or bad, but we can't argue with McDonald's success in reaching a mass market.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:27 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
They need that beef processing plant in the Pacific NW first, if they want to expand into WA, ID and northern OR. Driving the fresh beef from their SoCal plant to the Pacific NW every day is a marathon. They need to do what they did in Texas and build a new processing plant nearby.

Not sure where the ideal location for the plant would be, maybe eastern OR, off of I-84 or Boise or maybe the Tri-Cities in WA, then they can supply all of their future stores easily in the Pacific NW and even current stores in northern UT (SLC/Ogden/Provo), from there.

Even with Texas, after open up their new processing plant, they have only focused on the I-35 corridor from the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex down through Waco and Austin/Round Rock to San Antonio and haven't even hit the Houston market yet with its 6.7 million people. They are very methodical in their expansion.
I doubt that's the problem. There is a USDA inspected slaughterhouse in Roseburg. We enjoy local, range fed beef at all seasons of the year. There is, however, no feedlot anywhere near here, so there is no factory burger available. Some friends burgered a bull a while back and I bought 50 lbs. of burger for the freezer. It was fine! It's not frozen meat that is the problem, it is the oxidized frozen flat patties that are shipped in bulk boxes. If you want fresh patties, you can get them anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon