Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM

20 posts, read 92,165 times

Advertisements

Do a lot of cops hang out on here? I'd rather not spend a long time driving, but it's not worth a ticket if they are sitting around with radar. I speed within reason, it's not like I plan on going 100 the whole way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 03:43 PM

480 posts, read 2,466,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaq View Post
Do a lot of cops hang out on here? I'd rather not spend a long time driving, but it's not worth a ticket if they are sitting around with radar. I speed within reason, it's not like I plan on going 100 the whole way.
You speed within reason Well, if you think it's reasonable, then you should have a good argument when you go to court. Have a safe drive - the rest of us out on the roads are relying on you

Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 PM

403 posts, read 1,120,104 times
There's a known speedtrap sometimes in operation at the 217 interchange. I got caught there last month, and got a big, fat ticket--currently fighting it in court, as we speak.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:37 PM

20 posts, read 92,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
You speed within reason Well, if you think it's reasonable, then you should have a good argument when you go to court. Have a safe drive - the rest of us out on the roads are relying on you
You make it sound like I'm driving dangerously... I'm talking about like 10 over. I find it pretty dumb that they bust people going 10 over on a freeway with a low amount of people.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:19 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
You find it dumb that they bust you going 10 over. That's like saying you find it dumb if you steal a Hershey bar.

Does the concept of "law" mean anything to you? Sorry, my bad. Apparently not. If you don't want to get busted, don't speed. Should be simple for most people....

Old 03-18-2008, 11:56 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
I agree with bobmulk - regardless of whether you agree with the laws or not - they are there for a reason.

When you choose to break the law you choose to put other people in bad situations - not just yourself. And not just other people - we have a lot of wildlife out here who meet a premature and unnatural end thanks to drivers.

I don't understand people who try to fight speeding tickets. You were speeding, right? Well... what's there to fight about? I really don't get it.

Just drive the speed limit. It's not that difficult.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:54 AM

403 posts, read 1,120,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I don't understand people who try to fight speeding tickets. You were speeding, right? Well... what's there to fight about? I really don't get it.

Just drive the speed limit. It's not that difficult.
You're right about one thing: you don't understand. We have a process for people with speeding tickets that allows them to contest their issuance with a plea of not guilty. While some may indulge in their right to make it difficult for the law to cite them. Others do it because they weren't speeding.

Police officers have no obligation to provide proof that an individual is driving too fast to ticket them. Radar guns and lasers do not leave a paper trail. Without a burden of proof, an officer can pull you over for any reason, and claim you were driving at twice the legal limit, even if your car is old and won't travel that fast. Your record and your wallet will pay the price.

The system tries to offset that possiblity with the choice to fight a ticket in a court of law. The notion that one should take punishment for a crime they didn't commit is ludicrous.

Do you really believe that every accusation law enforcement can make is automatically true because they make it? If so, just wait until you're driving your precious speed limit one day and you get pulled over. You'll see things very differently.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:00 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
another good reason to drive within the posted limits along that road would be the wildlife that do have a tendency to wander onto the road.
just a thought....

Old 03-19-2008, 07:50 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
Ah, the Oregon mentality.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:59 PM

103 posts, read 523,951 times
35 years of driving, 1 speeding ticket. And guess what, I was speeding. I have NEVER heard of a case of not speeding and getting a ticket for it. Yep all cops are after you. LOL. They will more than likely pull someone over for having a license light out. Drive safely, speeding rarely safes time. And just what is the hurry? Maybe leave 10 min earlier. Breath man, slow down, where ever you are going will still be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon